Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Recently raised, now what?
Posted: 01 April 2010 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-04-01

I feel at a loss…. I have been recently raised as a MM, then my lodge went dark.  I want to be a good Mason, but I am at a loss as to what to do?  How does one be a Mason?  What do I do now?  Just study the teachings and derive my own interpretations from them?  Is this just all about self development?  Anyone else feeling frustrated? or am I just being ignorant?, if so I apologize…

Posted: 02 April 2010 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2010-04-01

Thank you for the reply Mike,  I am in the U.S.  I have not been made aware of a Lodge of Instruction, but will inquire at our next meeting…I will practice more patience, Thank you again…..

Posted: 02 April 2010 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  665
Joined  2009-11-18

Solomon, I’m not sure what you mean when you say your lodge went dark. I don’t suppose that it went dark permanently (that does sometimes happen) because I’m sure that in that case your brothers would have told you what to do. So I assume it’s dark for a month, or two, or three, which is not uncommon here in the USA, but it’s usually July and August when lodges close for the summer.

Remember that one of the basic principles of Freemasonry is that Masons congregate and work in lodges. The fellowship among Masons, in lodge, is what Masonry is all about, more than degree work, more than study of masonic subjects by yourself. You need, therefore, to see if there is another convenient lodge that you can visit, now that you are a Master Mason, while your lodge is unavailable. There may not be, either because none is close, or because all the lodges in your jurisdiction take time off at the same time. But you can always ask the secretary or one of the other officers of your lodge when it will be up and running again, and what other lodges in the vicinity might be available for you to visit. You may need to exercise patience, but don’t be discouraged. Lots of us have to spend two or three months a year waiting for Lodge to come back to work.

You might even hear of a group of masons who meet together for fellowship outside of lodge. Around here, these are called “Square Clubs” and usually meet, maybe monthly, usually for lunch or dinner. You could ask about this also among your lodge brothers.

Signature 

Liberty Pickering Lodge #219, Baltimore MD
Druid RA Chapter #28, Baltimore
Hiram Council #5 R&SM;, Baltimore
Monumental Commandery #3, Baltimore
Harrisburg Consistory AASR, Harrisburg, PA

Posted: 02 April 2010 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1942
Joined  2008-01-21

The first steps in Masonry, after the completion of the MM degree can be frustrating. There is no one single answer. I suggest that you seek other lodges in your area, where you can visit. You should make a special effort to attend a MM degree, and witness the degree from the sidelines, it will be informative.

You can also seek out other Masons, and offer your services as a ritualist. There is no reason why you cannot study for one or more of the parts, in future degree work.

You are now eligible for many of the appendant and concordant bodies. You may wish to join the High-Twelve, which is a lunch club for Masons. Send me a PM, and I can send you the URL.

You can also join the Shrine, and participate in an entirely different dimension of the Masonic experience. The Shrine has all types of activities for the member and his lady. You can also assist in transporting children to the hospitals.

You can also consider the Grotto, it is a “fun” organization, for Master Masons, their principal charity is providing dentistry for handicapped children.

You can also organize an informal association for Master Masons, in your area. You can start a “Square and Compasses Club”. These clubs are very popular in New Hampshire (and other places).

What you derive from Masonry, is really your choice. I like to think of Masonry as a “cafeteria”, where the individual Mason, can pick and choose, from a large variety of activities, to suit him.

I wish you every possible success in your Masonic career.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
?? , Afghanistan

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F&AM;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F&AM;)

Posted: 02 April 2010 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2010-04-01

Thank you REYoung and cemab4y, the lodge goes dark for Feb, and Mar, then resumes in April, I think that is where I am feeling the disconnect, I was raised in Jan, then the lodge shut down.  I am very curious about the other activities, and will look to the other brothers for some assistance.  I sincerely appreciate the advice….

Posted: 02 April 2010 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  772
Joined  2007-03-18

I want to thank everyone for their thoughtful replies.

Solomon, in the interest of those who are looking to join Freemasonry, and to help the rest of us here, I was wondering if you might tell us as to where you became a Mason in the US? There’s nothing in your Bio. I don’t know of any states whose Lodges routinely go dark in February and March. It might help us to counsel others and better guide you in how to get more Masonic direction.

Thanks!

Bob Heruska
Forum Administrator
Boston, MA

Signature 

Bob Heruska
Past Master
Columbian Lodge
Boston, MA

Member of the York Rite, Scottish Rite, and the Mystic Shrine.

Posted: 03 April 2010 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2010-04-01

Yes, my apologies, Bethel Lodge here in Michigan

Posted: 03 April 2010 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2010-03-29
Solomon - 03 April 2010 09:04 AM

Yes, my apologies, Bethel Lodge here in Michigan

I checked out your lodge’s website and it does indeed seem to be “dark” on Feb. and March.  But since it is April now, you’ll see things start up again.

Be sure to attend every communication you can and ask the officers how you can help out.  Whether helping with an investigation committee, arranging a charity event or whatever help the officers need.

Have patience and ask how you can help at your lodge and I’m sure in no time you’ll be more busy then you expected.

Posted: 24 June 2011 05:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2011-06-15

One of my brethren / mentor at my lodge taught me that after being raised, it just doesnt stop there. If you havent decided to become an officer yet and havent convinced yourself that you havent have all the knoledge to continue to an appendant body ( scottish or york ) , you can still help out by memorizing more stuff. Like the charges, and what not. Be ready to fill up vacant positions whenever your lodge needs them. For sure by taking on those responsibilites will be a lesson learned through the process.
I will be raised in 5 days and have no plans of joining appendant bodies yet. I want to help my lodge’s growth, first and foremost. Once i get my proficiency on the third degree, i will become a candidate coach / mentor since i have not the fixed time to participate in the officer’s practice.
Hope this gives a little to your question, my brother.

Posted: 25 June 2011 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-12-10

This sounds similar to what I’m going through myself. I was raised in January 2011 and since then I have noticed a lack of interest in my lodge among members. My lodge does nothing in the way of activities or community work. No fundraisers, nothing to make the public aware that we are there. Most people that I know who know that I have joined had no idea there was even a lodge in our city. Heck, the Elks lodge is only a block away and once a week they are in the local newspaper hosting some sort of event.
  I asked around the lodge one evening if they ever have parties (Christmas, Halloween…)for brothers and their families and one brother told me they tried to get a holiday party together two years ago but due to lack of interest it never happened.
  One brother who was raised with me noticed that the only members who show up every month are the newer members who were raised this year, the only exceptions being officers, and our lodge supposedly has 275 members.
  I have heard that a lodge two towns over from my house actually does a lot outside the lodge. I’m starting to wonder if I joined the wrong one! I don’t mean to sound bitter but I didny pay all this money to join a social club.

Posted: 26 June 2011 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  399
Joined  2011-03-17
jacksparrow - 25 June 2011 09:09 PM

This sounds similar to what I’m going through myself. I was raised in January 2011 and since then I have noticed a lack of interest in my lodge among members. My lodge does nothing in the way of activities or community work. No fundraisers, nothing to make the public aware that we are there. Most people that I know who know that I have joined had no idea there was even a lodge in our city. Heck, the Elks lodge is only a block away and once a week they are in the local newspaper hosting some sort of event.
  I asked around the lodge one evening if they ever have parties (Christmas, Halloween…)for brothers and their families and one brother told me they tried to get a holiday party together two years ago but due to lack of interest it never happened.
  One brother who was raised with me noticed that the only members who show up every month are the newer members who were raised this year, the only exceptions being officers, and our lodge supposedly has 275 members.
  I have heard that a lodge two towns over from my house actually does a lot outside the lodge. I’m starting to wonder if I joined the wrong one! I don’t mean to sound bitter but I didny pay all this money to join a social club.

Hello Jacksparrow,

Don’t be bitter, make a difference! Sometimes Lodges go stale and need
a gentle nudge to get them going. New blood is usually the best thing.
Don’t go in with both barrels as you will probably get resistance. Bring
up a possible easy fundraiser such as a pancake breakfast. You’ll probably
get little support and will have to be instrumental in getting it off the
ground; but it will be worth it. Get the new brothers involved and show
some of the older members how much fun you had and it may spark more
interest. Don’t step on any toes. Get the approval and commitment of one
or two of the older members to help you; you’ll need them to go to bat for you
when the resistance starts. Our Lodge use to do 2 fundraisers a year,
same ones, every year. With the spark of 2 classes of new blood, we now
do 2 a month, for ourselves and for other organizations in the community.
Some of the old timers will eventually join your endeavors, and understand
that it will be a rough and rugged road, but in a few years it will be
all worth it, You will also see your that membership will increase exponentially.
Good luck in your endeavors and let us know how it goes.
Fraternally, Jay

Signature 

Jay Mathis
Worshipful Master
Tuckerton Lodge # 4 F&AM;
Tuckerton, NJ

Posted: 26 June 2011 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2007-10-29

Hey Jacksparrow

I have to agree with Jay. If only new members show up you should talk with them get a group that is willing to do a breakfast then you have a core group that is ready to start right away make sure they understand the committment they will have to make till it catches on. I have tried to jump right in helping at different events whenever I can.

Signature 

EA: 3/14/11
FC: 4/11/11
MM: 5/23/11

Posted: 26 June 2011 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  399
Joined  2011-03-17
Ken28 - 26 June 2011 10:36 PM

Hey Jacksparrow

I have to agree with Jay. If only new members show up you should talk with them get a group that is willing to do a breakfast then you have a core group that is ready to start right away make sure they understand the committment they will have to make till it catches on. I have tried to jump right in helping at different events whenever I can.

Don’t forget the Senior Warden, it’s his responsibility; He’s ways and means.
And make sure he gets the credit. Get him in to your corner and you’re halfway
home. Show them OUR Lodge is going places and Harmony will remain in place.
The Senior Warden will be instrumental to your success.

Signature 

Jay Mathis
Worshipful Master
Tuckerton Lodge # 4 F&AM;
Tuckerton, NJ

‹‹ Thoughts & Prayers      books ››

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3543 seconds.