Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

1 of 15
Islam, the Mideast, and Freemasonry
Posted: 12 March 2010 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  677
Joined  2009-11-18

Some months ago, Lion of Jordan inquired about joining Masonry and posted some informative comments which piqued my curiosity. We have been exchanging PMs for some time, both of us asking and answering the other’s questions.

I have learned that LOJ is a fairly young man living in a country where Freemasonry is absolutely forbidden, and that to attract attention to himself as someone who is interested in Masonry would jeopardize his job, and probably worse. I think that some of the information he has given me is of considerable value, as it uncovers a view from a Muslim standpoint of much that we, as western (and mostly Christian) masons, understand in a different manner in some cases, and in the same manner in others.

I’m hoping this thread will do two things: 1) Provide an opportunity to obtain information about Freemasonry to inquirers who are Muslims; 2) help the rest of us to understand the traditions and teachings of a huge number of people who are, in the current political atmosphere, viewed in the West with much suspicion and even hatred. I know that I myself have much to learn, and I’m sure that’s true of most of us.

I hope that there will be input from friendly commentators, insde and outside of the Fraternity, to provide information, ask questions, and respond to questions. This, of course, will be on matters relating to history, tradition, the practice of masonry, etc; but no discussion of religion per se, as that would not be appropriate for a Masonic discussion.

To get started, I will try to copy to this thread four PMs which I received from Lion of Jordan. Others which I received I won’t copy, because they contain some personal details, and I won’t post anything that might possibly be used to identify him. I specifically asked his permission to do this, and he agreed without qualifications.

Signature 

Liberty Pickering Lodge #219, Baltimore MD
Druid RA Chapter #28, Baltimore
Hiram Council #5 R&SM;, Baltimore
Monumental Commandery #3, Baltimore
Harrisburg Consistory AASR, Harrisburg, PA

Posted: 12 March 2010 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-18

Following is Lion of Jordan’s introductory PM.

Mr. Young
I do not want to go into the subject of religions but what Im going to say is very important for me to under stand as a Muslim who want to enter freemasonry .

It is clear that many of the rituals and teachings of Freemasonry are based on the old reference .
many many Muslim scholars have identified Enoch as prophet Idris, Koran and Islam spoke about him as the man of the truth , and he is the son of Seth And the grandfather of Noah , he Is the first to lay the foundations of writing and the idea of cities , and yes , the Muslim scholars said that Enoch raised to heaven by the angles (Some said he died there and other says he is still alive) .

According to what I know , there is no conflict or contradiction between the beliefs of Islam and Freemasonry , But some people here in the Middle East wanted that to us so that we lose Freemasonry .

I know that freemasonry is not a religion , but I am asking your & the forum advice , How can I get to the consensus between my faith as a Muslim and freemasonry , or I don’t have to because its different issues
thanks alot again .

Signature 

Posted: 12 March 2010 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-18

Lion of Jordan’s first message:

Hello Sir Mr. Young

I send to you my sincere greetings and appreciation , I read your last post and you can find by the search 2 or 3 posts about the issue.

I want to write to you sir about the little I know about the Masonic teachings and Islam in the middle east, and I will do that in 2 or 3 Pms, and I hope that it will be useful and fruitful to you sir , I should point out that there may be things that will be understandable to you sir , but not to me, because I’m not a freemason yet .

I will write first about the activity of the stone masons groups in the middle east At the beginning of the of the Islamic era which I read in some reliable and well-known Islamic and masonic history books :

The stone masons who came to the middle east made a great reputation, they been called by the kings of Persia and the Arabs to build Forts and temples, the Muslim Caliph (ruler) Abdul M bin Marwan ask the King of the Romans in Constantinople to hired stone masons to build temples & Mosques in Damascus and Jerusalem in (707 AD), and it was described in the history of Ibn Kh (one of the most accurate books Islamic books Mr young).

When the Abbasi rule era came, the masonry industry flourished by the built of the capital - Baghdad, a lot of stone Masons moved in the same century from Europe to asia after the Islamic civilization began. The number of the stone masons increased .

It was Stated in the history book of Ibn ether , how the build of Baghdad was, and how Ibn Mansour wrote to Syria, Kufa and Basra asking to select people of virtues, justice and honesty with engineering knowledge, so it was the stone masons, and it was a Customs by the masons when they agreed to build a town or a fence or a temple, to make their homes of woods next to the building, they live and eat and sleep there, it was described that they had secret meetings, They didn’t allow anyone to enter or to know their actions, and after they end the constructions , each of them take his rights and then go .

In the year (775 AD) , the masons industry reached the Andalusia when it was under the Islamic rule (now Spain), the Caliph Abdul Rahman residence in Cortoba and sent to the regions, particularly to the east to Baghdad required stone masons to build his new city, There was multiple buildings , mosques and forts and have been largely taken the form of construction of Constantinople, a schools for the stone masons set up and they maintain their rights and privilege, Cortoba was known by its science and industry, especially the masonry industry. The students from around the world came to acquire science and crafts.

It was noted that many princes & scientists and muslim scholars Like al-Farabi the well known Islamic scientist & philosopher, & Fadl ibn Sahl the famous astronomer And lot of others, joined the stone masons community in Syria, Iraq and the hole islam and Arab rejoin, and As the result of the relation between the state and the professions of masonry industry, stone masonry made Shifts in the civilization of Europe and Islamic Arab states.

This is what I know Mr young about the historical presence of the stone Masons in our area, I hope that it Provides like an overview, and what I learned from this that masonry walk or coupled with the human development from the beginning, it helped the Human behavior to make the transition from chaos, To the stability and consistency in communities and cities, Islam says that prophet Idris (Enoch), was the first to develop the idea of building cities, and the old Arab Masons linking the movement of structural (masonry) with him, and that Freemasonry derived its thoughts and works from the wisdom of old prophets like enoch.

Signature 

Posted: 12 March 2010 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-18

LOJ second message:

I read your last post about Islam thread and I was very happy , I don’t know sir if you meant me to open a thread about this issue or the forum so I Participate in, after all , I send this to you sir in a PM and you are free to send it to whom you want, also I read your post about solomon so I want to start with this important issue .

First I want to point out, that Islam calls the place of worshiping god (a mosque), Just like the Christianity calls it a Church, Or a temple by the Judaism, Islam did spoke about the work of construction and architecture Through some Koranic verses & prophetic scripture, And also what was confirmed by the scholars and historians of Islam, Islam told us about the beginning of the building of the houses to worship God or the (mosques to islam) , and through the stories of the prophets in this regard .

Islam says that before thousands of years, In the era of adam & the ancient prophets before the flood of Noah , the first house established for people to worship God in the earth was in Mecca (the Kaaba), after Forty years, The second house was in Jerusalem, Islam said that only the foundations in this era was made, then the Construction process in the two houses made & done away later by the prophets or/and their supervision, Islam was cleared that the foundations of Kaaba & Jerusalem was there already before the prophets starts the stone works, For the Kaaba, Prophet Ibrahim and his son Ishmael build on the already existing foundations and raise the stones up until the completion of the building, For the house in Jerusalem, Islam says that Prophet David and his son Prophet Solomon (Solomon in particular), also Built on the already existing foundations, and expaned and increased the construction, David start that & Islam cleared that Solomon built the house of God in Jerusalem, Muslims At the early beginning of islam, were praying toward the mosque in Jerusalem for (16 -17) months, then towards Kaaba in Mecca by the command of God since that time.

I have had the opportunity to visit Mecca and the Kaaba twice so far, and the old city in Jerusalem 6 times , According to what I have read and told by the clerics in Mecca, the angels placed the foundations of the Kaaba, and then the Prophets Ibrahim and his son Ishmael build on and raised it , Ishmael was giving the stones to Ibrahim to build it, & one of it is the black stone , it’s a part of the kabba which you can see & this stone is very respectful & holy for Muslims because it’s a stone brought by the angels from heaven , The clerics and the guards of Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem told me that Angels also placed the foundations of this house In antiquity, Here I should mention that I have access at Jerusalem in the upper floors of the whole building on which the three mosques & the Church of the Resurrection are on (or) in, What I saw was truly a strange and bizarre, I can not describe how beauty & complex the stone masonry is, I have seen in the upper floors, a very large broad stone stands & foundations which extend all the way down to the lower floors ,the Stones are much bigger than the stone of the pyramids, you can not imagine how humans could do so In the antiquity, Some Islamic views says that the foundations of Jerusalem were laid by the angels, but it truly completed or build after by Solomon.

In this context, I will talk about Prophet Solomon, and what quran & islam tells about him, Solomon the son of the prophet David was a great prophet and a powerful king, he was full of wisdom, and God has given him a great property & power, He had a great armies and manufacturers and masons, tools and Industry And winged horses, also the jinn and the demons were under solomon control & working by his commands, Solomon knew the language of animals and plants and was talking with them, Koran told us that Solomon could order the winds to be in his service and moved him from one place to another, his Armies of the jinn and the humans was traveling with him on earth while the Birds in the sky providing them shade from the sun, also he could move all of that with him by the winds, Under solomon rule, a lot of stone constructions & masonry works were done in the Middle East, Koran tells some stories about Solomon building, one of the stories was with B the Queen of Sheba in Yemen, When she came to solomon in Jerusalem and entered one of his building, she thought that it is like a water or sea, the Muslim commentators and historians said that recording to islam, This construction was made of glass, the ceiling as well as its paths, it was filed with water, fish and marine organisms, B thought she will walk in water while she was not, this shows the greatness and magnificence of the construction work in general in Solomon time, by his workers and the jinn in Jerusalem, Damascus and Palmyra in Syria.

The quran and Islam also explains the ability of the scientists and the workers who were employed and worked for Solomon, sometimes in a superior way over the jinn and demons, by carrying out a difficult tasks which solomon ordered, He once asked all of his workers who can bring to him the throne of B all the way from Sheba before B come to him, one of the jinn said that he can bring it before the closing of Solomon’s council, Then a one who has the knowledge from the book said I will bring it Once you blinking your eyes, and He did so just by solomon blink an eye, Most of the Islamic views identified this man as assef the son Berechiah, a Cousin of Solomon.

Islam said that Solomon began building Jerusalem in the fourth year of him as a king of Israel, he used gold & silver in the stone building , and when he finished it he made a sacrifice, he got on the rock of Jerusalem which now the Mosque (Dome of the Rock) are on it , Solomon had and kept the key of the Rock of Jerusalem & does not give it to any one, Solomon asked god on the rock after building the house to make his prayers come

Signature 

Posted: 12 March 2010 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-18

On second thought, I decided not to copy LOJ’s third message, as it contains some personal data that might help identify him. Also, I seem to have lost a little piece of the end of the long message above.

I haven’t yet replied, and I do so now, that the Shriners in the USA don’t really know anything about Islam, or the Middle East. When they founded the A.A.O.N.M.S. in the late 19th century in New York, they were following a then-popular fad for things Arabic. The names, titles, ceremonials, etc. are just a veneer. Being a Shiner myself, I am aware of this.

Signature 

Posted: 12 March 2010 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2077
Joined  2008-01-21

I am always delighted to participate in discussions of this nature. And it is quite true, that Freemasonry is forbidden in some (but not all) countries, which have predominately Muslim populations. Freemasonry exists quite openly in Turkey, and in Lebanon.  In Saudi Arabia, there is no official ban on Freemasonry, but the local Freemasons (mostly expatriates) keep a low profile, operate discreetly, and have meetings only on the foreigner’s compounds. I joined Arabia Lodge 882, in Dhahran.

Islam is the religion of 20% of the planet.  I believe strongly, that all Americans should have a basic understanding of this faith, and its impact on Western Civilization, past and present. The Islamic world invented Algebra (Al-Jabr, an arabic word), and medicines, chemotherapy, modern dentistry, and many other things.  When Europeans were living in mud huts, and praying to the bones of the saints for cures, Muslims were performing cataract surgery.  When the Christian knights captured the library at Toledo (in Moorish Spain), there were twice as many books in that one library, than in all of Christian Europe.  We Westerners tend to look on the Arab world with disdain, as a backward people, wearing bedsheets, and riding camels.  Our collective viewpoint, is quite inaccurate.

I have lived in Saudi Arabia for one year, and the past six years in Iraq and Afghanistan.  There are a group of brave Iraqis who are working to charter a lodge in Baghdad. These men are literally risking their lives.

I once assisted a man in taking his FC oath on the Holy Qu’Ran. I consider this to be one of the high points of my Masonic career. There are more Muslims joining Freemasonry here in the USA, than ever before.  I pray that Masonry can take root in the Islamic world, and that Muslims can join our Fraternity, without fear.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 12 March 2010 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2077
Joined  2008-01-21

I am an inactive Shriner.  The symbolism, titles, and practices of the AAONMS have nothing whatsoever to do with Islam. The Sphinx is Egyptian, and the scimitar is Arabian.  Islam forbids symbology (idolatry) is all forms. Mosques are very plain, with no religious or national symbols permitted. There are no flags, portraits, or any graven images permitted in Islamic houses of worship. Even the crescent moon, is of Turkish origin, and has no historical basis in Islam.

In the latter part of the 19th century, when a group of Masons in New York City, were organizing a club, one of the best-selling books in the USA, was the “Tales of the Arabian Nights”. Billy Florence and the other Masons decided to adopt an “arabian nights” theme for their club.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 12 March 2010 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-18

Bro. Martin is correct that most mosques, particularly small ones, are plain and unadorned. But there are many, mostly the large ones, which are exuberantly decorated. However, only two kinds of decoration are allowed: geometric designs, usually executed in mosaic, of incredible complexity and displaying a masterful knowledge of geometry; and texts from the Qu’ran, always in magnificent calligraphy. There are many pictures of such mosques to be found on the net. Incidentally, when the Ottoman turks conquered Constantinople in 1453, they redecorated the great cathedral, Hagia Sophia, by removing the iconstasis and all icons and plastered over the frescoes on the walls. With these alterations, that building still stands in its original magnificence. And of course, the famous Dome of the Rock, in Jerusalem, has a dome covered with pure gold.

Signature 

Posted: 20 March 2010 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-18

I was delighted to receive a new message from Lion of Jordan, which I have copied below.

According to Arabic lodges & Western historians, Freemasonry was introduced to the Arab and Islamic world During the Ottoman Caliphate, shortly after 1717, But things became more apparent in the middle east in the eighteenth century, when the Muslims entered the doors of the lodges, and the Koran placed next to the Bible.

The first meeting between Islam & Freemasonry after 1717, was with the Sufi Muslims, There was a common factor which is the ritual and the spiritual research, the Arabic lodges knew that Freemasonry aimed to regulating the lives of people on earth, as a common direction or a way of thinking, They regarded Freemasonry as the daughter of humanitarian .

The Turks were the masters of Freemasonry in the Middle East, and after them the Syrians who were very sincere Masons, most of the Clerics & judges in the Islamic courts in Lebanon & Al-Azhar Al-Sharif Mosque in Egypt (the second Islamic authority & reference to Muslims) were freemasons, Freemasonry has achieved a great success in Islam because the freemasons respected all religions.

What I know from a very old grand lodge in Lebanon, is that In eighteenth century, The Islamic scholars freemasons made some concepts on their Masonic practices in the lodges, and I should point out that It was acceptable to the old leaders and teachers of freemasonry in that time, the made some signs into nine & into two sections : The first is spiritual and consistent , the second is mundane and temporal.

When one of them been asked who is the first mason, he answer : La Ilaha IllA Allah (there is no god but god).
Who is the founder : Allah and The Square.
Where Did King John knelt down in the morning before the meeting of brothers : in front of the window of the east in the temple waiting for sun rise.
In which oath we should Commit with in order to preserve the secrets of our good and generous works : in Allah & The Square & the angles & King John .

This is some of the teachings which took place for a long time in the Middle East, and the masons brothers rely on at their meetings in the lodges, And also there is the teachings of initiation & promotion and rehabilitation.
The initiation & the Consecration make the man convinced in a new concept of courage, which obliges him to what he devoted for (EA)
The promotion is a Shift which raises the EA from a degree to another he deserved , and which Raised the level of his conviction and courage To a level which help his progress in knowledge and maturity (FC).
The rehabilitation raise the FC to the degree of knowledge that make him free (the MM).

The lodges in the Arab and Islamic countries considered the masonic sciences as the Oldest and most honest sciences that found carved in the rocks, & which informs us about the ancient history and the first ancient human civilizations.
The mason has to learn the history of Qenan clan & its civilization which began with Brother Enoch who was holy to Some ancient religions and civilizations such as the Sumerian, until the coming of Judaism, Christianity and Islam were they Confirmed him as prophet Enoch , freemasonry in middle east said that Enoch gave the secrets to his son lamech , the father of prophet noah.
It also said that masonry is a Message which learns the human how to be free from Ignorant ideas, And how to deal with your mind in a clear vision, masonry Explain the practical and theoretical and the symbolic of universe.
Noah adopt what Enoch has written in the old days, it also adopted by the descendants of Ham in founding of Babylon and the Kingdom of the Pharaohs and farther nations…
The lodges in the Arab and Islamic countries said that the faith of masonry is Derived from the teachings of the Prophet Enoch, Freemasonry unite the efforts to service the benefit of the individuals, its a human mission not religion through the works of freemasons, Every persons have good inside him, and freemasonry could take it out to show others The greatness of the Creator. [end of message]

One of the things I find especially interesting is the existance of Freemasonry under the Ottoman Caliphate and in Egypt. I have read that Kemal Ataturk, the father of the modern Turkish state, was a Mason; also King Farouk of Egypt. I would be glad if Lion of Jordan could confirm this or let us know that it’s not true. I would also ask him to let us know what King John he refers to in his message.

Signature 

Posted: 10 April 2010 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-18

I have been somewhat remiss in failing to copy a further message from Lion of Jordan, which is most interesting.

“Hello Mr. young .

you have indicated in the last post about the subject of some freemason presidents and kings in middle east, and I will talk about it through two parts, the first is private to you only, while the second will be about what you asked sir about Ataturk and King Farouk.

[ part of message deleted ]

Now About the second part : yes President of turkey , Mustafa Kemal Ataturk (1881-1938), was a freemason, He start his Masonic life when he was a young officer by joining an Italian Lodge “Macedonia lodge” in 1915 .

Of course king farouk and many many Of the kings and princes of the royal family in Egypt were Masons, once I saw a picture of President Franklin Roosevelt which was singed by him & send to Prince Mohamed Ali Tewfik / the Sovereign Grand Commander of the AASR in the Grand National orient of Egypt.

many in the Arab world Surprised when they knew that the Egyptian President Nasser was a freemason, Nasser was the first Arabic leader to prevent freemasonry in 1964 and was followed in this by a lot of Arab States, He did that because of the great Pressure of the situation & the very strange un true formula which some strong people wanted (freemasonry + Israel vs. Islam + Arabic countries ) ??!!??”

Signature 

Posted: 10 April 2010 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-18

A further message from LOJ:

“Once again I re-send my gratitude to Mr. Young for having raised this important topic, as well as to the forum which gave the opportunity for many explanations about Islam and Freemasonry, I’ve been thinking a lot lately how I can make things become more simple to understand this subject, its really hard but the Islamic memory do have a lot of fine details about freemasonry.

The Masonic Lodges which was founded at the end of the nineteenth century in the middle east, was an expression of the tendency of liberal enlightenment to the Arab elites, Most of the pioneers of the Renaissance, Muslims and Christians Arabs, were members of these lodges, or its founders.

But things (Islam & masonry) goes much more back before this period, I would like to Mention what Mr. Martin has already pointed about (above) about the Islamic civilization and its importance in the transfer of sciences and knowledge to the West, I already said that Freemasonry met strongly & seriously with the Islamic mysticism (Sufism), Freemasonry in Islam & the middle east had a very strong philosophical side, Arabs & Muslims Looked at masonry as the movement of production of the ancient civilizations, they said that freemasonry derived & developed its ideas & works from the era of the old ancient prophets of wisdom like (Enoch, Johannes/John, Elias (and the old Pioneers of Philosophy and sciences like (Empedocles Euclid, Pythagoras, Georjas, Socrates, the Stone Philosophy Plato, Aristotle), And which moved also to the Muslims, like the Ismaili Brotherhood movement and Ikhwan Al-Safa (the fidelity brothers), to the Muslims scientists, doctors & intellectuals, who’s laid a lot of foundations of the modern sciences like (Asma’I, Jabir Ibn Hayyan , Al khawarzmi, Ibn al-Nafis, Ibn Sina , al farabi and other wise men like Ibn Khaldun), they Played an important role in the movement of human evolution which moved to the Professors & the Pioneers of European Renaissance in Florence, down to the modern global status that we have now.

What I know is that these names above & others were & still a very important figures in the thoughts of the muslims and arabs freemasons and their lodges in our area, The Islamic mysticism with its (Masonic views), contributed in the formation of the Arabic Islamic philosophy, which heavily rely on the enochian values, the summary is that the movement of enochian Philosophy met with the earlier Alexandrian, muslims, And founded the rules of knowledge & wisdom, to the European renaissance, all of this have a great link with freemasonry.

For more explanations, I will say that If you want to know the really top great achievements of masonry in Islam, look at the islamic civilization in Andalusia, how was the strengthening of solidarity among human beings, the unity of beliefs away from intolerance, Andalusia included Muslims, Christians, Jews, Arabs, Europeans, African, extra…, This humanitarian situation (Andalusia) which is the true core of islam, was a beacon of culture, sciences, progress and development to the world, The Masonic process in Andalusia were Practical and also mentality, from what I learn, I believed that masonry Evaluated the human behavior from the old time, masonry walked with the social evolution of religions and cultures, with the development & sciences.

Here I would like to point out to the Jewish mystic philosopher (Moses the son of Maimon the Andalusian), he is the partner of the great Muslim scholar Jaber bin Hayan in the atomic theory, Ibn Maimon (was one of the greatest philosophers of Islam), he was the adviser of sultan Salah al-Din, I heard that now a days, Ibn Maimon works is banned from publishing ?!?, if this true, I consider it a great lose.

There is a very important matter which was very clear to the muslims & arabs freemasons : The message of Islam is the unification, To believe in GOD who sent to us his prophets , freemasonry Unites the efforts for the benefit of the individuals.

The dispute between muslim clergy & freemasonry, occurred in a close time, only since the 60’s & the 70’s, The problem is that what was acceptable to the old muslim clergy who’s many of them were freemasons, become now not accepted, As it happened with other religions & this is something well known I think.”

Signature 

Posted: 10 April 2010 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-18

And another:

“Also For more explanations, I will talk about a Prominent Arabic -Islamic character, the freemason (Prince Abdul Kader Mohi – al Din the Algerian), He is a well known man to most Arabs and Muslims, he was a Muslim scholar, Intellectual & thoughtful in sciences, religion, reason ,morality, language and mysticism, Prince Abdul Kader Fought as a patriot against the French colonialism for more than 15 years & Was exiled to Syria, yet Abdul Kader become a close friend to the Emperor Napoleon III & influential to the Ottoman Sultan, truly Prince Abdul Kader was a great freemason, he is the one who stopped the sectarian strife Between Arabs (Druze and Christians) in Syria during 1860, he protect 16 thousand Christians, and considered this issue (Holy) as good as Any matter concerns Muslims, after this accident , the grand orient of France & many other lodges in Europe send letters to Abdul Qadir , he joined the grand orient of France, he was also known to the pioneers of Freemasonry in England and united states, Churchill talked about Prince Abdul Qadir’s initiation in his books, the American freemasons “Robert Morris” talked about his meeting in Damascus with Abdul Qadir on 7 April 1868 , Prince Abdul Qadir with his sons, grand sons spread Freemasonry in our area with cooperation with the freemasons princes of the royal family in Egypt at that days.

I Read parts of a very deep Masonic letter send on 1860 by the French lodges “Henry IV” , “East of Paris” to Abdul Qadir , it said : wherever the virtue Shine, the tolerance prevail and humanity glorified, the freemasons rush to offer their appreciation to those who knew While making the greatest sacrifices, how to complete what God made on earth, in another letter from “friendship lodge “ in france, the great freemason MURAT said: We the freemasons Assembly with you Prince Abdul Qadir (La Ilaha IllA Allah /there is no god but God) , our only one principle is :  to the Glory of God the Great Architect of the Universe, And the brotherly love for all human beings the children of God the Father, those Who believe in the justice of god, witch guaranteeing the immortality of the soul.

we can learn about Islam & Freemasonry Through the ideas and writings of Prince Abdul Qadir - the Qadiriya Sufi brotherhood which based on the method of (Ibn Arabi – a well known Islamic philosopher and mystic in Andalusia), Prince Abdul Qadir said that truth & wisdom is not restricted to a particular group or a specific individual, but it is the result of the (humans effort), apart from their beliefs and their ethnicity, The nature of truth is humanitarian, he noted that the mind have the right to confirm or denial this or that idea, this is a defense of freedom in some aspects, Freedom is always against all forms of intolerance, Abdel Kader & other muslims freemasons learns us that Belonging to Islam as a religion & culture, does not prevent the Muslims from acquiring the facts & truth from those who are not from the same religion and culture, the truth is a unifying factor between all human beings, despite their differences, Abdel Kader was with the freedom of scientific research and philosophical speculation, religion do not refute the facts of science, he said (I consider freemasonry as the first institution in the world , In my opinion, every man who does not profess his Masonic faith is an incomplete man , I hope to see the day of spreading the Masonic principles in the world, at that day, all peoples will live in peace and brotherhood).

I hope that I have been able to explain some things about (Islam and Freemasonry), after all, I will be more than happy & honored to know the points of views about this thread, and If it Succeeded in clarifying things. “
LOJ

Signature 

Posted: 10 April 2010 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-18

I hope that the members, moderators and administrators of the Forum find the postings from Lion of Jordan to be as interesting and informative as I do. In fact, reading them I often feel ashamed that I know so little of the rich treasures of Arabic and Islamic philosophy and history. LOJ apparently knows a good deal. He also knows vastly more about Western thought and history than I do about Near Eastern thought and history. Occasionally, of course, some of the views and thought which he reports is not consistent with what we have been taught, especially as regards Jerusalem, K.S. Temple, the early history of the Hebrews. I do not say that he is incorrect, just that it isn’t what we have been taught. And occasionally his grasp of Western personages and events may not be quite accurate, but that is to be expected. His reference to Robert Morris as having been in the Near East in the 1860’s obviously refers to Rob Morris, one of the most prominent of mid 19th century American masons (and the inventor of the OES); the famous American Robert Morris lived 3 generations earlier, during the American Revolution, in which he played such a prominent part in its financing. Where he speaks of Murat, I assume he is referring to Joachim Murat, Marshall of France and King of Naples, who died in 1815. At any rate, I trust we are gaining a new vision through the mind of a man who is a Muslim and a resident in the Near East and who has a true Masonic vision of the relations between men and religions and who would very much like to become a Freemason if he could. If anyone has any ideas how this might be, without his emigrating and leaving his home, family, job and friends, perhaps you might make suggestions here or by PM to him. I have been careful not to publish anything that might identify him and get him in trouble with the authorities in his country.

Signature 

Posted: 30 April 2010 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  204
Joined  2009-05-19

I think that at this stage, My conscience and my humanitarian & moral situation Requires that I extend again my sincere thanks & appreciation to this forum for opening this thread, also its My duty to offer my warmest gratitude to Mr. Bob Young, who gave this subject, time and effort considerably, to me I consider this Attitude at the top of goodness and morality, to consider people as equal ... acceptance of others and giving them a chance to learn and to share, this stand requires always appreciation because it is not often found these days.

regarding the sensitivity of this subject which may talks about religions some how, & of course because of what may I face :) , I preferred to do that Through & by Mr. Young’S Supervision, because I was afraid to post or raised matters that may be not appropriate to this forum, I was very happy to see most of it published, and what was not ... is some personal matters , or what I ask to be in private .

Talking about Islam, Middle East and Freemasonry is like a difficult & deep issue, a lot of people think or believe that there is no correlation or connection between these topics, well ... this is not correct , The masonic teachings has taken an important aspect in the Islamic thoughts and history , many Muslim scholars, intellectuals, writers and other pioneers looked at freemasonry a great humanitarian message which spreads the sense of unity & harmony between human beings, but some people don’t want to us to know that.

also we cant forget about the grand lode of Scotland or the grand lodge of new york state which had & still, some working blue lodges in Lebanon & may be other countries , also the grand lodge of Israel which considered now the main and may be the only one masonic regular authority in our area, they know a lot about freemasonry in the middle east, also they represent a Unique masonic example in a place like middle east Through the members multiple nationalities, religious, and Languages speaking lodges, extra, I liked the words of one of their eldest members now ,that Jerusalem is the cradle of Freemasonry.

Unfortunately, the situation today in the Middle East is inconsistent with what had prevailed for many years, so it has become now very difficult to learn a lot about this subject, Sometimes it may seem strange or interesting what you may learn or knew in this regard, I was surprised from many things, but at least, this thread trying to convey things as they are.

I’m looking forward to post more here where we can share a lot & to know your views .

Once again, I reiterate my sincere appreciation to you all & to you Mr YOUNG.
LOJ

Signature 

The man who dosent read good books has no advantage over the man how cant read them. ( Mark Twain – American Freemason) .
أســد الأردن

Posted: 28 May 2010 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-05-27

LOJ I find the information you write quite amazing. Being an Arab myself, I knew quite a bit of the recent information, but the roots of the Masons in the MIddle East were very interesting to me. I will look deeper into it, and possibly raise in my next meeting, Im sure my Brothers would have more information on the subject.

Regarding your worries about Islam and its conflicting with Freemasonry, I believe its far from the truth. Most (younger) Arabs were raised with the idea that Freemasons are the hand of the Zionists, or that to be a freemason you should change your religion etc.. - which in reality is ridiculous and is all lies and propaganda.

I would also like to say that I am humbled by the responses of our western brothers, It is very heart warming to see you as true masons. Open to ideas, and willing to learn more about a culture deemed to be ‘evil’ or ‘negative’ in many places - due again to ridiculous propaganda.

LOJ, we established the first lodge in Syria, it has been operational for the last 9 months now. by ‘first lodge’, i mean, after all the old ones were closed. We are working hard, and growing silently.
No questions have been asked yet.

Let me know if there is anything I can assist in regarding Freemasonry in our region.

Posted: 28 May 2010 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2010-03-29
SyrianMason - 28 May 2010 12:23 PM

LOJ I find the information you write quite amazing. Being an Arab myself, I knew quite a bit of the recent information, but the roots of the Masons in the MIddle East were very interesting to me. I will look deeper into it, and possibly raise in my next meeting, Im sure my Brothers would have more information on the subject.

Regarding your worries about Islam and its conflicting with Freemasonry, I believe its far from the truth. Most (younger) Arabs were raised with the idea that Freemasons are the hand of the Zionists, or that to be a freemason you should change your religion etc.. - which in reality is ridiculous and is all lies and propaganda.

I would also like to say that I am humbled by the responses of our western brothers, It is very heart warming to see you as true masons. Open to ideas, and willing to learn more about a culture deemed to be ‘evil’ or ‘negative’ in many places - due again to ridiculous propaganda.

LOJ, we established the first lodge in Syria, it has been operational for the last 9 months now. by ‘first lodge’, i mean, after all the old ones were closed. We are working hard, and growing silently.
No questions have been asked yet.

Let me know if there is anything I can assist in regarding Freemasonry in our region.

Good luck with your endeavors!

1 of 15

‹‹ MM      female organizations ››

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.5335 seconds.