Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Need help with a few mason degrees!
Posted: 27 April 2013 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2013-03-21

Hello ,

I have been doing my reseach, and I have herd that when go for your EA OR FC you are down to your underware, I am a big guy and I would feel very unhappy about being in my underware, as I would feel everyone is looking at me!

Also I read and I was told on your master mason degree at the end when They say you must die, and you are thrown backwards into a bag, I feel with me being a big guy some of the guys may drop me or I could fall down and get hurt or hit my head! 

any help will be great I hope I am not asking any question I should not. but I have been told to ask questions if I have any.

thanks chris

Signature 

Christopher Campbell
Palmetto Lodge #19 A.F.M
Laurens,SC 29360

South Carolina York Rite Bodies

Noble Shriner of the HEJAZ Shrine Temple Mauldin,SC

Asked for Petition 3/10/13
Got Petition on 3/17/13
Petitioned on 3/19/13
Voted On 4/16/13

Entered Apprentice Degree-5/2/13
Fellowcraft Degree -5/30/13
Master Mason Degree -6/27/13

“Life is Like a Roll Of Toilet Paper,Towards The end it goes Fast!”

Posted: 27 April 2013 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2409
Joined  2011-01-20
scorpion8319 - 27 April 2013 08:05 AM

Hello ,

I have been doing my reseach, and I have herd that when go for your EA OR FC you are down to your underware, I am a big guy and I would feel very unhappy about being in my underware, as I would feel everyone is looking at me!

Also I read and I was told on your master mason degree at the end when They say you must die, and you are thrown backwards into a bag, I feel with me being a big guy some of the guys may drop me or I could fall down and get hurt or hit my head! 

any help will be great I hope I am not asking any question I should not. but I have been told to ask questions if I have any.

thanks chris

I, too am a big guy. First, there is no part of the degrees where you are in only your underwear in a regular lodge. You will not be put in any danger during any of the degrees either.

Stop trying to find out what will happen. You are only ruining it for yourself. As Brother Madore often says, there is nothing that goes on during the degrees that would upset your mother if she were sitting on the sidelines.

You do understand that most of what has been written about us, especially on the Internet, was written by people who have never even set foot in a lodge room, right?

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 27 April 2013 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-03-21

Thanks, I thought that what was on the net was real in the lodges.

As I had a friend tell me about the part where you fall into a bag and then they carry you .

thanks chris

Signature 

Christopher Campbell
Palmetto Lodge #19 A.F.M
Laurens,SC 29360

Got Petition on 3/17/13
Petitioned on 3/19/13
Voted On 4/16/13

Posted: 27 April 2013 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  591
Joined  2012-09-18

Also, there is no bag!

Signature 

Past Master, Dryden Lodge #472
Secretary, Caroline Lodge #618
Hudson,Fulton,Dryden Chapter #250 OES
32* A&ASR; Coudersport Pa.
RAM Fidelity #77

Posted: 27 April 2013 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2409
Joined  2011-01-20
scorpion8319 - 27 April 2013 09:42 AM

Thanks, I thought that what was on the net was real in the lodges.

As I had a friend tell me about the part where you fall into a bag and then they carry you .

thanks chris

Chris,
Is your friend a Mason? I bet he isn’t :-)

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 27 April 2013 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-03-21

Yes I think my friend is a mason he has the square and compass on his car,hat,ring, and on his tag he told me the memorize was very very hard to do. You have to ware your underware in front of the members blindfolded. And you will fall into a bag to get your mm degre he scared me most abot the stuff you have to memorize as it is not in text only by mouth to your ear. And it is so hard that most members never get past ea degree. That is all he told me.

Signature 

Christopher Campbell
Palmetto Lodge #19 A.F.M
Laurens,SC 29360

Got Petition on 3/17/13
Petitioned on 3/19/13
Voted On 4/16/13

Posted: 27 April 2013 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2013-02-16

As has been said before, you may wish to consider not looking ahead anymore. There is nothing to fear during the ritual - no harm will come to you, and everyone that has passed through that lodge room or any like it have all been through the same exact thing, and some of them are not of slight body types, either. They won’t stare, call you names, or anything else - this I can promise you.

You are doing yourself a large disservice by worrying, perhaps needlessly, about things that have not yet come to pass. Lean back, practice some patience, and take a deep breath. Before you know it, the 2nd will be before you. Good luck.

Signature 

Luke Gustavson
Senior Steward, Hayden Lodge A.F.&A.M. North Brookfield, MA
Initiated: 03/06/13
  Passed: 05/01/13
  Raised: 10/02/13

Posted: 27 April 2013 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1478
Joined  2010-11-01
scorpion8319 - 27 April 2013 01:47 PM

Yes I think my friend is a mason he has the square and compass on his car,hat,ring, and on his tag he told me the memorize was very very hard to do. You have to ware your underware in front of the members blindfolded. And you will fall into a bag to get your mm degre he scared me most abot the stuff you have to memorize as it is not in text only by mouth to your ear. And it is so hard that most members never get past ea degree. That is all he told me.

Christopher - Please stop worrying about what goes on in the degrees.  You will not at any point be standing in front of anyone in your underwear.  You may be asked to put on a costume or arrange your street clothes a certain way.  In my lodge, you wear a costume and you change in a small room with the other candidates.  Since we are all grown men, this is a non issue. 

Your friend is giving you information that is questionable and is bordering on un-masonic conduct. Is he a member of the lodge you are joining?

Signature 

V:.W:.Paul Hulseapple
Past Master St. Georges Lodge #6
Schenectady, NY
Asst. Grand Lecturer Old 17th District
Feliciana Lodge #31
St. Francisville, LA

32°AASR
St Georges Chapter #157 RAM
High Priest

St. George’s Council #74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Sr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S

Posted: 27 April 2013 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2013-02-04

Friend,

I’m a larger man too. I’ve never been asked about underwear during my initiation. I’m not so sure about the Fellow Craft because I’m not there yet, but it’s a wonderful ceremony. You shouldn’t worry about it. Remember, those men are wanting to be your brothers—your extended family. They aren’t voting on your looks or else I wouldn’t have gotten in (ha). Don’t worry. Just enjoy it. I was nervous about many things like that too, but it made me all the closer to my new Brothers. Don’t worry.

Signature 

Zach Powell

Sr. Deacon
Petitioned: 1-14-2013
Initiated: 3-4-2013
Passed to the degree of a Fellow Craft: 5-13-2013
Raised to the Sublime Degree of Master Mason: 6-15-2013
Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, Kentucky F&AM;
Grand Lodge of Kentucky
TSS Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2087
Joined  2008-01-21

The ceremonies are beautiful, and meaningful. There is no disrespect, “horseplay”, or any inappropriate conduct. You will be treated at all times with decorum and respect. I am a large person, and I was always treated properly. Have no concerns.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 27 April 2013 10:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  791
Joined  2007-03-18

Ask your “brother” to come on the Forum and tell us what he said to you. I promise you it won’t happen. If it does, he Is a member of a clandestine and irregular Lodge, and you will find out here.

Bob

Signature 

Bob Heruska
Past Master
Columbian Lodge
Boston, MA

Member of the York Rite, Scottish Rite, and the Mystic Shrine.

Posted: 28 April 2013 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-03-21

Hi, That for all of your help, I did tell the guy about the site and he told me he once was a member but thats all he said..

I was also told by the guy that will be my coach, that he use to be in the lodge but was ask to leave because he would try and scare the new memebers, now I think that is what he is doing.

again thank you all for the help.

chris

Signature 

Christopher Campbell
Palmetto Lodge #19 A.F.M
Laurens,SC 29360

Got Petition on 3/17/13
Petitioned on 3/19/13
Voted On 4/16/13

Posted: 28 April 2013 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2013-02-21

Sounds like the guy that is telling you all this is in violation of the obligations he took by telling you what happens during the degrees. I, personally, would not trust the word of such a person. It also sounds like you should take the advice of others on this forum and quit trying to ‘research’ what’s going to happen. Every mason that has gone before you has gone through the same thing. If you can’t trust the guys in the lodge you petitioned enough to take their advice then you might want to get to know them better before proceeding. Freemasonry involves a lot of trust and if you don’t trust them you’re really going to have a hard time with it.

Signature 

Duluth Lodge #480 F&AM; - Duluth, GA

E - 5 Feb 2013
P - 2 Apr 2013
R - 16 Apr 2013

Posted: 28 April 2013 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1478
Joined  2010-11-01
scorpion8319 - 28 April 2013 11:41 AM

Hi, That for all of your help, I did tell the guy about the site and he told me he once was a member but thats all he said..

I was also told by the guy that will be my coach, that he use to be in the lodge but was ask to leave because he would try and scare the new memebers, now I think that is what he is doing.

again thank you all for the help.

chris

If he was asked to leave, then he is not worthy of your trust.  He clearly has not learned the lessons taught in the degrees.  ALL of what he has told you is meant to deter you from joining and is very unmasonic of him.  Any true mason who has learned well the lessons, will give you sound advice, not nonsense. 

My sound advice to you is not to worry.  Put aside your searches on the net because 95% of it is inaccurate and for the uninitiated it is impossible to tell the difference.  You are being initiated in less than a week.  If you want to have questions answered, come to this site, at least for the next week until you take the EA degree.  I say this site, because it is a valid source for accurate information and noone here will attempt to scare you or feed you lies and mis truths.  After your EA, you will look back on all the advice given here and say, wow, you guys were right….

Signature 

V:.W:.Paul Hulseapple
Past Master St. Georges Lodge #6
Schenectady, NY
Asst. Grand Lecturer Old 17th District
Feliciana Lodge #31
St. Francisville, LA

32°AASR
St Georges Chapter #157 RAM
High Priest

St. George’s Council #74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Sr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S

Posted: 29 April 2013 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  287
Joined  2013-04-04

Trust the brothers from your lodge. Believe me they will not lead you astray. The experience can be life changing and they will do NOTHING to embarrass you. The degrees are a serious affair. Relax, slow down and enjoy the experience. It’s wonderful. As for your so-called friend he was acting in a very un-masonic way and his word IMO is worthless!

Signature 

Bro.Ed Pickett Jr.
Past Master (2017)
La Belle Vallee Lodge No 232 F&AM;
Jersey Shore, Pa.
Initiated 1-14-13, Passed 2-11-13, Raised 3-11-13

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3723 seconds.