Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

How to become a Freemason if one lives in Iraq…?
Posted: 31 December 2012 07:37 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-12-31

Dears,

I am an International Lawyer working for a renowned company within Iraq, and my question is; How does one becomes a freemason, if ones lives in Northern Iraq (Kurdistan)?

Thank you,
K

Posted: 31 December 2012 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2331
Joined  2011-01-20

As with most countries in the Middle East, Freemasonry is illegal in Iraq. You cannot become a Freemason there.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 31 December 2012 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2012-12-31

Thank you for the information J.R.

What does one like myself need to do to over come this obstacle?

I live in the KRG region (Kurdish Regional Government) and this region is separate from the rest of Iraq. Therefore it would be great to introduce the idea within this region!

Posted: 31 December 2012 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1451
Joined  2010-11-01

Really there is nothing you can do.  The government in that area needs to lift the ban on the Fraternity.  You are stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place.

Signature 

W:. Bro. Paul Hulseapple
St. Georges Lodge #6
Worshipful Master for the 2016-17 A.D 6016-17 A.L. year

32°AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
Scribe

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S.
Schenectady NY

Posted: 31 December 2012 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1249
Joined  2011-11-10
Kay1472 - 31 December 2012 07:37 AM

Dears,

And I could be wrong, but you’re opener might suggest you are a woman, in which case it matters not where you are geographically, women cannot join the fraternity.
If I’ve misconstrued your gender, I apologize.

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 31 December 2012 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  206
Joined  2009-05-19

Greetings to all from Jordan and happy new year guys.

I’m aware (very sure) about a masonic activities in Kurdistan but don’t have the details about the lodge, in light of your situation , I think that you may have a chance by connecting the Turkish grand lodge . they has a will known web site.
SALAAM
LOJ

Signature 

The man who dosent read good books has no advantage over the man how cant read them. ( Mark Twain – American Freemason) .
أســد الأردن

Posted: 31 December 2012 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2080
Joined  2008-01-21

There were some operating lodges on the US military bases, during the war. The Grand Lodge of New York chartered a lodge, and it operated at Forward Operating Base Speicher in 2005 (Email me, and I can send you the link). Some PH-affiliated lodges operated on various bases, there was even a PH-affiliated Eastern Star chapter at Camp Victory. Of course, all of these lodges operated on US bases, the Iraqi government had no control.

I heard about a group of Iraqi men, who were attempting to establish a lodge in Baghdad, with a charter from the United Grand Lodge of England, but I never got any confirmation.

There are some informal Masonic organizations and clubs operating in Iraq. There was a “cigar club”, at the US embassy compound, where the Mason would meet informally. I started a “Square and compasses” club at Al Asad.

There were lodges operated by the British military lodge system, back in the 1950’s when the British had a presence there.

I am uncertain if there is a specific law on the books, currrently in force in Iraq, specifically prohibiting Masonry in the Republic of Iraq. I urge anyone to act as if there is a prohibition, unless you are 100% certain that Masonry is legal. This is a good policy to have, in any country in this part of the world.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 31 December 2012 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-19

In 1958 revolution, the Iraqi Military Intelligence suggested to form a legal committee to give a legal opinion about freemasonry & to issue a new law with sanctions against freemasonry, but that was not made, and panning freemasonry started to be (like this??), and (Abdel Karim Kassem) re assure the closure of the lodges with out any actions against freemasons, The second military coup in 1968 by Ahmed Hassan al-Bakr and Saddam Hussein started a Penal Code, replaced the Article no 201 to became: punishable by death sanction all recruited or promoted Zionist principles including Freemasonry, or belonged to any of the institutions or helped it financially or morally or in any manner …, the Iraqi National Council voted In 1975 on a law considering freemasonry a crime. 
The Article no 201 is still active until now in the Iraqi law, I just read it now unfortunately.
LOJ

Signature 

The man who dosent read good books has no advantage over the man how cant read them. ( Mark Twain – American Freemason) .
أســد الأردن

Posted: 01 January 2013 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  956
Joined  2011-03-20

LoJ, That is a very helpful and importantly authorative answer for Iraq which is most helpful when enquiries are recieved from interested parties in the Middle East.

Are you able to produce a list of the other countries that have a similar statute so that a generally informative list could be produced to help those who are making enquiries from that part of the world?

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 01 January 2013 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2012-12-31

Thank you very much for all your help guys, and Happy New Year to you all…

If you guys stumbled upon any further information to help me further, please do contact me.

Posted: 01 January 2013 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2012-12-31

Gents,
I am currently on holiday in Sweden for the next couple of days, if there is anything I can do over here that will get me one step closer of joining before my departure back to middle-east?

Thanks,

Posted: 01 January 2013 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-19
Mike Martin - 01 January 2013 08:37 AM

LoJ, That is a very helpful and importantly authorative answer for Iraq which is most helpful when enquiries are recieved from interested parties in the Middle East.

Are you able to produce a list of the other countries that have a similar statute so that a generally informative list could be produced to help those who are making enquiries from that part of the world?

ya sure , give me some time.
LOJ

Signature 

أســد الأردن

Posted: 27 March 2017 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2017-03-07
lion of jordan - 31 December 2012 03:44 PM

In 1958 revolution, the Iraqi Military Intelligence suggested to form a legal committee to give a legal opinion about freemasonry & to issue a new law with sanctions against freemasonry, but that was not made, and panning freemasonry started to be (like this??), and (Abdel Karim Kassem) re assure the closure of the lodges with out any actions against freemasons, The second military coup in 1968 by Ahmed Hassan al-Bakr and Saddam Hussein started a Penal Code, replaced the Article no 201 to became: punishable by death sanction all recruited or promoted Zionist principles including Freemasonry, or belonged to any of the institutions or helped it financially or morally or in any manner …, the Iraqi National Council voted In 1975 on a law considering freemasonry a crime. 
The Article no 201 is still active until now in the Iraqi law, I just read it now unfortunately.
LOJ

مرحبا هل يمكن ان اتحدث اليك

Posted: 01 May 2017 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-19

اهلا بك .. طبعا سانتظرك على الرسائل الخاصة
LOJ

Signature 

أســد الأردن

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.5517 seconds.