Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

how do i become a free born?
Posted: 15 December 2012 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-12-15

Is the Mason a religion or a secret society?

Posted: 15 December 2012 10:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2012-12-04

It is nether it is a fraternity

Signature 

I believe you get back what you put into this life

Posted: 15 December 2012 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2409
Joined  2011-01-20

Being free born is an archaic term from the days of indentured servitude. If a man was indentured to another, he could not swear the oaths of a Freemason while being beholden to a master. He was therefore not qualified to become a Mason. Today, although some forms of slavery do exist, none are legal or common and indentured servitude is also a thing of the past. Almost everyone today is “free born”.

Freemasonry is not a Religion. Freemasonry offers no path to salvation and is open to all men who believe in the Supreme Being to whom we are accountable in the Afterlife. What you call your God or how you choose to worship Him is something between you and your Deity and is none of our concern. I have sat in lodge with men of every major and a few minor Religions as equals. Discussion of Religion is forbidden in lodge as this is a topic which may divide men where wee seek harmony.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 15 December 2012 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2409
Joined  2011-01-20

(continuing because the software thought it was spam)

If we were a secret society, we probably wouldn’t have this web site. We also clearly mark our buildings with the symbol of our Order. Many of us wear rings and have stickers on our cars with the Square and Compasses. If we’re trying to be a secret society we are not doing a very good job of it. We do have secrets. The first Masonic Grand Lodge was formed in 1717 and the first book containing our secrets was published in 1723. Even though all our secrets are available in any public library and innumerable web sites, a true Mason will not share them with anyone other than another Mason. The reason is that we took an oath not to and a Mason can be trusted to never go back on his word. The central theme of our degrees is integrity. When I was installed as an officer in my lodge the oath I took was on my honor as a Mason. Some Masons will say “We are not a secret society. We are a society with secrets.” I can agree with that as a clever phrase, but the secrets we keep are really only symbols of our integrity.

If you are considering becoming a Mason, do not do research about our rituals or secrets. The Rituals of the degrees of Masonry are time-tested teaching tools that work best when you don’t know what to expect. Even if you do find and read what appear to be our rituals, you will be confused if you ever do go through them because what you find on the web is not what goes on in a lodge.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 14 May 2016 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2014-10-16

Signature 

Bro. Dave Johnson, 32°
AASR,Valley of Dayton

Lima,Oh Lodge #205 F&AM;
Senior Warden

Initiated 1-5-2015
Passed 3-16-2015
Raised 5-13-2015
1st EA Chg 03-20-2017

Posted: 19 May 2016 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4099
Joined  2007-09-27
Davey - 14 May 2016 08:00 PM

Congrats Brother Bill,
                I’m glad you enjoyed the experience of being raised in the Fraternity! You will be amazed when you see it. Take it all in and attend all the raisings of MM and conferring of EA & FC Degrees that you can. The more you see and experience….the more it will all come together. Welcome to the Craft my brother and enjoy your journey!

——-Signed————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-
Bro Dave J.
Lima Lodge #205 F&AM;
Senior Steward

Initiated 1-5-15
Passed 3-16-15
Raised 5-13-15

Dave, looks like you replied to the wrong thread here!
Also… you don’t need to include your signature in your posts.  There is a setting where you can enter your signature in your profile.  It will be automatically included.

Signature 

Dan

1st District Membership Chairman - Boston, MA
Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
The Lodge of the Royal Secret - Boston, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

‹‹ Hello      Need some answers please ››

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3462 seconds.