Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

2 of 2
Rejected Application
Posted: 06 November 2012 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  679
Joined  2009-11-18

Before we close this discussion, it might be useful to review the law regarding acceptance/rejection of petitions, for the benefit of new members and non-members who may read this thread.

In my jurisdiction, and I presume in others, the law is that every petitioner must be investigated by a committee appointed by the W. Master and a ballot taken, usually not less than four weeks after it was read out in lodge. The petition must be advertised in the lodge communication which is sent to all the members and include the basic information on the petitioner and the date on which the ballot will be taken (always at a regular meeting of the lodge). Thus, each member knows that Mr. A.B. has petitioned and the meeting at which the ballot will be taken. On that evening, the petition is read again and the report of the committee announced. In order for the report to be favorable, all three committee members must be in favor; one unfavorable report constitutes an unfavorable report. The ballot is then taken and must be unanimous to elect the petitioner.

This, however, is not the only way in which a petitioner can be rejected. A lodge member who will be unable to be present on the night of the ballot can contact the W. Master and enter an objection to the petitioner, and the Master must sustain the objection. If the committee has not yet performed their task, they will be dismissed. On the night of the ballot, the Master simply announces that he has received an objection and the petitioner is rejected. In fact, an objection can be made to the W. Master after the ballot is taken and unanimously favorable. The petitioner can be in the anteroom awaiting initiation and if a member stands up in lodge and announces an objection, the Master declares the petitioner rejected and he is sent home.

There are two schools of thought regarding unfavorable committee reports. One opinion is that notwithstanding an unfavorable report, the ballot must still be taken. The other is that an unfavorable report constitutes an objection and no ballot is necessary, as the Master is required to sustain an objection.

Signature 

Liberty Pickering Lodge #219, Baltimore MD
Druid RA Chapter #28, Baltimore
Hiram Council #5 R&SM;, Baltimore
Monumental Commandery #3, Baltimore
Harrisburg Consistory AASR, Harrisburg, PA

Posted: 06 November 2012 10:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  515
Joined  2012-01-30

In the mainstream Grand Lodge of Alabama regardless of how the committee responds a ballot is the only way to deal with a petition.  One black ball(cube) and the WM has the lodge vote a second time. If there is a black ball in the second ballot the petitioner is rejected.

Signature 

DeWayne
MM, RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF, Athelstan

I’m living in the DC area now.

There is no Gospel According to St. Youtube.

Posted: 09 November 2012 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2012-03-19

Sorry to hear that !!!!!I been there and was told the same by my sponsor I went to the lodge and me with the bros. to let them know I was worthy . But at the ballot I was rejected but I was so hurt and disappointed but I told everyone one advise cause you got to find a lodge that make you feel welcome and treat you like family. I shop around and around been to a lot of lodge and they did not made me feel comfortable or welcome. So I decide to try again and I found my current lodge it PHA I was invite to banquets and cook out but I did not petition yet until I made sure it was the right lodge for me. And everyone treat me like a brother and when I petition the DDGM was my sponsor and he induce me to all of the brothers and they except me in the fold and I never felt the love my wife was like hear we go again with the interview and disappoint again. But after a few weeks my petition got read and I got veto on and was except. Tell you just remember often tried never denied and willing to be tried again. I live by that saying and alway keep in my heart and mind. So if you like the lodge keep trying. And I hope you don’t get excepted cause I a get thing to be among friends. Good luck plus don’t be ashame we all have be rejected sometime in our life. “So mote it be”

Signature 

Grant us brotherhood, not only for this day but for all the years a brother not of words but of acts and deeds. -Stephen Vincent Benet

E.A :10-19-12
F.C : 11-24-12
M.M :01/05/13  
JW Plant City Lodge 206 Grand Lodge MWUGL of Florida P
David L Wright Consistory#387 Valley of Plant City Orient of Florida *32
Murat Temple#180 Oasis of Wauchula Desert of Florida

Posted: 20 February 2014 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2012-11-05

Initiated 2.13.14..  At my original Lodge I applied to before. I guess it was meant to be. Thanks for all your advise. I look forward to my journey.

Posted: 20 February 2014 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2377
Joined  2011-01-20

Excellent news. Congratulations.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 20 February 2014 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4087
Joined  2007-09-27

Excellent news indeed!  Glad to hear it turned out well in the end.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 01 March 2015 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2012-11-05

Master Mason.. Raised 12.12.14 and Officer ( Junior Steward ) of my Lodge. My journey continues. All the advise was appriciated. Thank you.

Posted: 02 March 2015 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2377
Joined  2011-01-20
New Mason - 01 March 2015 12:14 PM

Master Mason.. Raised 12.12.14 and Officer ( Junior Warden ) of my Lodge. My journey continues. All the advise was appriciated. Thank you.

Wow, Junior Warden after only 1 year! that usually takes a bit more time.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 02 March 2015 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2012-11-05

Junior Steward.  My mistake. ...

Posted: 02 March 2015 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27

I almost responded to this when it was posted but I was too horrified and thought it better to bite my tongue.  SO glad it was just a mistake!  I’d hate to think of someone being made a Warden after 2 months being a Mason.

Congrats!

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 03 March 2015 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2086
Joined  2008-01-21

Sadly, with the reduction in our membership numbers, it is possible to advance through the chairs much faster. In Kentucky, some of our smaller lodges, have to re-cycle their officers, because they don’t have any new members coming in. Sad.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 01 September 2018 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-04-07

I was Just got my second letter from the masons here in Melbourne, FL. and I was Rejected a second time after five years of waiting after my first petition, I also went to a different lodge then my first one that I petition,  I have a good background check and I got a steady income. I also have a wife and two children what should I do? I want to follow in my grandfathers footsteps and become a Mason.

Signature 

Jonathan Urdaneta

petitioned-3/26/13
Investigation committee-4/22/13
Rejected
petitioned- 7/23/2018
Investigated-8/18/2018
Rejected-9/1/2018

Posted: 05 September 2018 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27
urdaneta44100 - 01 September 2018 08:54 PM

I was Just got my second letter from the masons here in Melbourne, FL. and I was Rejected a second time after five years of waiting after my first petition, I also went to a different lodge then my first one that I petition,  I have a good background check and I got a steady income. I also have a wife and two children what should I do? I want to follow in my grandfathers footsteps and become a Mason.

I’m sorry to hear that you have been rejected for membership.  Unfortunately this isn’t something we can remedy on this forum.  I’m sure there are details and information that we don’t have, and in fact, details that we will never be privy to because those discussions are and must be private within the lodge. 

I believe you are permitted to apply again after 6 months, but I would think that if it has happened a couple of times, there must be a particular reason that we just don’t have the ability to discern based on the info you provided.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 06 September 2018 09:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2015-11-09
urdaneta44100 - 01 September 2018 08:54 PM

To follow up with what Dan said, did you ask as to why you were rejected? I dont know if your jurisdiction will give you the reason or not, but its worth asking. Perhaps it is something that, once you know, you can work on.

Signature 

Petitioned September 2015
Ballotted November 2015
Initiated January 11, 2016
Passed February 8, 2016
Raised May 9, 2016

Caleb Butler Lodge.

2 of 2

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4033 seconds.