Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

1 of 2
Rejected Application
Posted: 05 November 2012 12:24 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2012-11-05

I just got word in an email that my app. was rejected. I was talking with the Worshipful Master about it and he told me to keep coming to the Lodge as a guest. I for obvious reasons I’m not sure about this, as someone there does not want me to join.. I would like some advise. This Lodge is in CA.  Thanks

Posted: 05 November 2012 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2012-10-29

Im not sure what to tell you. The person or persons who blackballed you must give a reason.  At least they have to in the state of Wisconsin. Unless the WM doesn’t accept the application in the first place. I’m very sorry to hear the you were blackballed.

Signature 

David Austad
Lodge 182 Marinette, Wisconsin
E.A 7-9-12
FC 9-6-12
MM 10-18-12

Posted: 05 November 2012 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  581
Joined  2012-09-18

Couple of questions come to mind.
Did you know anyone in the Lodge before handing in your petition?
How long from the time your petition was handed in was the vote?

Maybe they felt that it was necessary to allow more time to get to know you.

Signature 

Past Master, Dryden Lodge #472
Secretary, Caroline Lodge #618
Hudson,Fulton,Dryden Chapter #250 OES
32* A&ASR; Coudersport Pa.
RAM Fidelity #77

Posted: 05 November 2012 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2012-11-05

To answer some questions: I explained that I had an DUI 7 YRS AGO, they did not say it was a problem at the time.
My app. was in for 2 months, I had the 3 Interviews at my home with my Wife present. I was going to the Lodge every week for 3 months as a guest. There was No sign of any problem with me.
I was at the Lodge on the Vote night and I left before the meeting as usual. next day I received an email about the rejected app. Im the letter the WM said to call if I had questions, so I did that . We had a long talk about it, he told me that he was very surprised at the vote, told me that the brethren were all surprised also. WM said that he would have not let me go any further in the beginning if he had though there was a problem. I have asked him over the last couple of days what to do.. He has suggested to still go to the Lodge as a guest as you can imagine my embarrassment in doing this, I do still have my pride..
Ido feel that it was an Interviewer that (Blacked Balled ) me. I wish he had pulled me aside a spoke to me as a Man and reveled his thoughts. During the interview he had asked me how much I owed on my house ,I thought this was a little strange.  Thank you in advance, I’am needing some advise on how to proceed.I still want to be a part of Masonry.

Posted: 05 November 2012 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4084
Joined  2007-09-27

I would follow the Master’s advice and continue to attend lodge events, then repetition after a period of time.

By the way….asking how much you owe on your home is an inappropriate question on an interview.  That should not have been asked, nor should it have mattered.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 05 November 2012 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2011-06-04

I’d advise against pride giving you leave. I think if you kept going, it would greatly increase your odds of a successful second attempt. You can apply again after some time. There are members here at this forum who were blackballed on their first ballot.

As Dan said: no one should have asked you how much you owe on your house. That’s incredibly inappropriate, and one I almost feel you should bring up to the master of that lodge. To me, it’s unmasonic. Perhaps people on the investigation committees there need a gentle reminder of what is and isn’t their business.

Signature 

J.M.Kaplon
The Tyrian-Ashlar-Acacia Lodge, Gloucester, MA
Ipswich-Ferson Chapter, Ipswich, MA

Posted: 05 November 2012 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2012-11-05

Thank you so much for clearing up the question he asked me ($ owed on our home ) I did think it was un Masonic to ask that.
I come from Scotland and have an long Family history with Masonry.  My Dad / Grandfather and Uncle were all Masons. My Grandfather and Uncle were Past Masters.
I have lived in California for 28yrs and this was the first Lodge I have ever applied to. I like the Lodge but I feel that my Interviewer ( whom I think Rejected me ) would still do so. I would not be confident of going through the process in another years time. Iam in total shock and are dismayed by these events.
Any advise is appreciated..  Thank you

Posted: 05 November 2012 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  188
Joined  2012-03-02

Hello Lachlan,

Like you I am a Scots expatriate settled in the United States (since 2003) and have many Masons (particularly Scottish Constitution Masons) among my family antecedents.  Their memory and example was a huge influence on my decision to petition to become a Mason this past year.

Difficult though it may seem I would encourage you to swallow your pride and take the Master’s advice.  I would also let the Master know discretely about the question you were asked regarding monies owed on your home, because as others have said that seems an inappropriate question and sits ill with my understanding and experiences of Masonry.

Signature 

Bro. Peter L. Crowe
Chaplain
Philanthropic Lodge F. & A.M. 1760,
Marblehead MA

Washington Royal Arch Chapter,
Salem MA

32° Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Salem,
Salem MA

Posted: 05 November 2012 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2012-11-05

Aye Peter,  Thank you for your support. I really do appriciate it.  Congratulations on your being raised, also I,am glad to hear from you ( a fellow Scotsman ) in this regard.  it is very helpful. I do so want to follow in your footsteps and become a Mason..  Sincerly Lachlan

Posted: 05 November 2012 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-11-01

By the way….asking how much you owe on your home is an inappropriate question on an interview.

There is no question that this was inappropriate. I can only imagine the pain you are feeling right now. Like everyone else here I would urge you to “stick with this” and not let pride rule your emotions. I would also add that if it was a member of the Investigating Committee that voted against you it should NOT be a surprise to the Worshipful Master. In fact, if a member of the Investigating Committee sees a problem they are especially obligated to speak up and report whatever problem they see. If this was not done and the member of the committee voted against you without telling anyone there was a problem from his point of view that is unmasonic conduct in my opinion.

You might very respectfully and diplomatically ask to be paired up with a long term Past Master to talk with about this (if you don’t have one in mind). Sometimes the perspective of a Past Master that has been involved in the lodge for many years brings a very different perspective that a current WM cannot give.

Lodges are made up of fallible people (like every other institution). It only takes one misguided person to create a lot of problems. Years ago in my lodge we had a very misguided member that somehow decided on their own to vote against every new petitioner because in his mind he felt that men which had to petition twice would be more valuable for having “stuck it out”. Well, you can imagine that almost no men petitioned the lodge twice. This was a huge mess for our lodge that eventually had to be straightened out by a lot of work on the part of its long term Past Masters.

David Straw, PM Beulah Masonic Lodge F. & A.M. #578 Mt. Vernon, IN

Posted: 06 November 2012 12:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2012-11-05

I thank you all for your input. I have arranged to meet the WM of the Lodge in a private setting outside of the Lodge. He wants to answer any questions I may have. I would like your input on appropriate questions I could and should ask. I do have some of my own but would like also to get other ideas on what i should say. I do not want any misunderstanding. I still want to continue on the road to become a Mason.. I thank you in advance..

Posted: 06 November 2012 02:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1300
Joined  2011-11-10

The obvious question would be if he has had any feedback from the members as to why your ballot failed.

Over here, we would regard a failed ballot as odd; because the only reason we would get one (generally speaking), is if one of the members knew something to the applicant’s detriment - in which case as subsequent application to the same lodge would not be accepted. And any application to a different lodge requires a declaration of the earlier application, which would then lead to inquiries about the previous failure.
(it would only get to a failed ballot if, for some reason, the objecting member had been unaware of the application prior to the ballot - an unlikely event)

Signature 

Richard
Past Assistant Grand Director of Ceremonies (UGLE)
PProvJGW, PProvGReg, PProvAGSec (Craft)
PProvGTreas, PProvGReg, PProv1stAGSoj (Royal Arch)
Mark (PProvGIWks), Royal Ark Mariner (ProvRAMGR)
Ancient and Accepted Rite; (30°), Knights Templar (PStdB)
Knight Templar Priest (PGBB), Royal Order of Scotland
Order of Secret Monitor (Brotherhood of David and Jonathan - unattached)

Posted: 06 November 2012 07:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  581
Joined  2012-09-18

I should also point out that if it was one of the investigating committee that voted against you then he failed in his obligation.
If he had any reservations about you, he should have voiced them as an unfavorable report. In which case, the ballot would not have been held until it was cleared.
If the committee gave a favorable report, then another member voted against you because it is mainly just a formality at this point for the ballot.

Signature 

Past Master, Dryden Lodge #472
Secretary, Caroline Lodge #618
Hudson,Fulton,Dryden Chapter #250 OES
32* A&ASR; Coudersport Pa.
RAM Fidelity #77

Posted: 06 November 2012 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-11-01

The obvious question would be if he has had any feedback from the members as to why your ballot failed.

I think this is a legitimate question… And… the main one…

I want to stress that I have seen several men over the years be rejected initially only to be eventually voted positively on. However, every single one of those men swallowed their pride and kept in contact with the lodge.

David Straw
Beulah Masonic Lodge F.&A.M. #578

Posted: 06 November 2012 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2012-11-05

I thank you all for you input.  It is most reassuring and helpful. I will move forward on my endeavor to become a Mason. I would now like to end this subject of disscussion. Thanks again..

Posted: 06 November 2012 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  654
Joined  2010-08-13
Br Gleason - 06 November 2012 07:07 AM

I should also point out that if it was one of the investigating committee that voted against you then he failed in his obligation.
If he had any reservations about you, he should have voiced them as an unfavorable report. In which case, the ballot would not have been held until it was cleared.
If the committee gave a favorable report, then another member voted against you because it is mainly just a formality at this point for the ballot.

This is interesting to me. As I understand the Masonic Code in my jurisdiction the investigation committee reports and it does not matter if it is favorable or unfavorable, a ballot must none the less follow the report. If a report is favorable then typically the candidate would be accepted and if report unfavorable, I am sure it would get 3 black cubes, although personally I never witnessed this. If rejected their name is recorded in the ‘black book’ and they can re-submit a petition in one year.

Signature 

WB Bill A.
Master
Potunk Lodge # 1071
Grand Lodge of NY

“If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.”
- Rene Descartes

1 of 2

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3733 seconds.