Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Rite of Memphis-Misraim
Posted: 19 October 2012 12:57 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-10-19

hi i wanted to know a little about freemasonry, i have studied a little myself and recently just saw a commercial which led me to this website. i have read Albert pike’s morals and dogma, and i have looked into other fraternities, but i seemed to be drawn to freemasonry like a magnet. anyways, which i was researching the different rites and degrees i came across The Rite of Memphis-Misraim. i initially thought there were only 33 degrees, but interestingly enough to my surprise i foud out there are at least 99 degrees. i figured there were at least 90 because of the square and compass 33 and 90 tried to think more symbolically. id really be fascinated to hear what you guys think. also the website i found 99th degree Most Illustrious Grand Hierophant
Bro Mihail Georgiev(Frater Bogomilius).

Posted: 19 October 2012 12:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2012-10-19

link to the website…. http://egyptianmasonicacademy.blogspot.com/p/jerophant.html

Posted: 19 October 2012 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1308
Joined  2011-11-10
nspenard - 19 October 2012 12:57 AM

i initially thought there were only 33 degrees, but interestingly enough to my surprise i foud out there are at least 99 degrees.

Actually, no, there are only THREE degrees in Freemasonry; there are other orders that are open to you to join once you are a Master Mason (the 3rd degree), but they are NOT Freemasonry; they only require that their members are also Freemasons.  And therein lies the common misconception of 33rd degree (and in the case of the organization you mention, 99).

Signature 

Richard
Past Assistant Grand Director of Ceremonies (UGLE)
PProvJGW, PProvGReg, PProvAGSec (Craft)
PProvGTreas, PProvGReg, PProv1stAGSoj (Royal Arch)
Mark (PProvGIWks), Royal Ark Mariner (ProvRAMGR)
Ancient and Accepted Rite; (30°), Knights Templar (PStdB)
Knight Templar Priest (PGBB), Royal Order of Scotland
Order of Secret Monitor (AKA Brotherhood of David and Jonathan - unattached)

Posted: 19 October 2012 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2379
Joined  2011-01-20
nspenard - 19 October 2012 12:57 AM

hi i wanted to know a little about freemasonry, i have studied a little myself and recently just saw a commercial which led me to this website. i have read Albert pike’s morals and dogma, and i have looked into other fraternities, but i seemed to be drawn to freemasonry like a magnet. anyways, which i was researching the different rites and degrees i came across The Rite of Memphis-Misraim. i initially thought there were only 33 degrees, but interestingly enough to my surprise i foud out there are at least 99 degrees. i figured there were at least 90 because of the square and compass 33 and 90 tried to think more symbolically. id really be fascinated to hear what you guys think. also the website i found 99th degree Most Illustrious Grand Hierophant
Bro Mihail Georgiev(Frater Bogomilius).

To my knowledge, there is only one group practicing Memphis-Misram and they are what mainstream Masons call “clandestine” or “fake” masons. This group has been rejected by every Masonic organization they have tried to join with.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 19 October 2012 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2012-10-19

thank you both. so i guess what i want to ask is say you have the grand master right, who has leadership over certain lodges. i was really wondering whats the highest degree or title besides those? that being 3rd degree etc of the scotish and york rites? also i was wondering, how many rites are there? and what are the differences of some?

Posted: 19 October 2012 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2012-02-28

The Grand Master presides over all lodges in his jurisdiction.  In many areas, his jurisdiction is broken up into districts.  Each district has a Deputy Grand Master who represents the Grand Master in that district.  Then each lodge has a Master.  That’s the heirarchy of masters in many jurisdictions.

The highest degree in Freemasonry is the 3rd degree.  There are other degrees in other Rites, but they are not “ranks” and are no “higher” than the third degree.  The most common Rites in the United States are the Scottish and the York.

They vary in many ways.  I think wikipedia actually does a pretty good job of explaining them, and Freemasons for Dummies by Chris Hodapp is another great resource.

Posted: 19 October 2012 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1468
Joined  2010-11-01
nspenard - 19 October 2012 03:20 PM

thank you both. so i guess what i want to ask is say you have the grand master right, who has leadership over certain lodges. i was really wondering whats the highest degree or title besides those? that being 3rd degree etc of the scotish and york rites? also i was wondering, how many rites are there? and what are the differences of some?

In regular Masonry, there are 3 degrees, the highest of which is Master Mason or the 3rd degree.  That is the highest rank that any mason attains.  Membership in the Scottish Rite is denoted by the title 32nd degree, and not all Masons choose to join the Scottish Rite.  The Scottish Rite 33rddegree is an honorary title that some Scottish Rite Members are elected to receive for outstanding service to the Fraternity and community.

The York Rite is composed of the Royal Arch Chapter, The Council of Cryptic Masons, and the Commandry of Knights Templar and you can join as many or as few as you like once you are a Master Mason.

In the lodges, there are officers.  These officers are either elected, in the case of the Master, Wardens, Treasurer and Secretary and the remaining lodge officers are appointed by the incoming Master.  At least that is how it is done in NY, other jurisdictions may elect more officers and the master may appoint fewer.  These officers serve for a 1 year term, usually.  At the State level, there is a Grand Lodge, that has jurisdiction over all lodges in that state.  The Grand Lodge has equivalent officers, and these officers are elected for a two year term.  The men who hold these offices, are all 3rd degree or Master masons and we all call each other Brother.  So to answer your question about the highest degree, the highest degree is Master Mason.

As for the different Rites, I know of the Scottish Rite, the York Rite, and I have heard of the Swedish Rite although I know very little about the last one.  I do know that it is similar to, but not identical with, the Scottish Rite, at least what I have been told.

Signature 

W:.Paul Hulseapple
Past Master St. Georges Lodge #6
Schenectady, NY
Feliciana Lodge #31
St. Francisville, LA

32°AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
E:. High Priest

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S.

Posted: 20 October 2012 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  679
Joined  2009-11-18
PDH825 - 19 October 2012 03:40 PM
nspenard - 19 October 2012 03:20 PM

In regular Masonry, there are 3 degrees, the highest of which is Master Mason or the 3rd degree.  That is the highest rank that any mason attains.  Membership in the Scottish Rite is denoted by the title 32nd degree, and not all Masons choose to join the Scottish Rite.  The Scottish Rite 33rddegree is an honorary title that some Scottish Rite Members are elected to receive for outstanding service to the Fraternity and community.

The York Rite is composed of the Royal Arch Chapter, The Council of Cryptic Masons, and the Commandry of Knights Templar and you can join as many or as few as you like once you are a Master Mason.

In the lodges, there are officers.  These officers are either elected, in the case of the Master, Wardens, Treasurer and Secretary and the remaining lodge officers are appointed by the incoming Master.  At least that is how it is done in NY, other jurisdictions may elect more officers and the master may appoint fewer.  These officers serve for a 1 year term, usually.  At the State level, there is a Grand Lodge, that has jurisdiction over all lodges in that state.  The Grand Lodge has equivalent officers, and these officers are elected for a two year term.  The men who hold these offices, are all 3rd degree or Master masons and we all call each other Brother.  So to answer your question about the highest degree, the highest degree is Master Mason.

As for the different Rites, I know of the Scottish Rite, the York Rite, and I have heard of the Swedish Rite although I know very little about the last one.  I do know that it is similar to, but not identical with, the Scottish Rite, at least what I have been told.

The Scandinavian Rite (practiced in Sweden, Denmark, Norway, and, I think, Finland) consists of 7 or 8 degrees. The first three, called the St. John’s degrees, are more or less similar to ours. The next 3 or 4, called the St. Andrews degrees, are more like our Chapter or Scottish Rite degrees. The highest degrees are reserved for only a small number of brethren. I believe that in Sweden the top degree is very exclusive and confers some sort of civil nobility (Sweden is a monarchy and I believe the King is honorary Grand Master). I believe this goes back to Marshall Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte, one of Napoleon’s field marshalls, who was elected King of Sweden sometime after Waterloo, and whose descendents are still the reigning royal family.

Signature 

Liberty Pickering Lodge #219, Baltimore MD
Druid RA Chapter #28, Baltimore
Hiram Council #5 R&SM;, Baltimore
Monumental Commandery #3, Baltimore
Harrisburg Consistory AASR, Harrisburg, PA

Posted: 29 April 2013 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2013-03-09

Is this rite recognized or is it illicit?

Posted: 29 April 2013 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4089
Joined  2007-09-27

I combined your question with an earlier thread that also brought this up.  It looks like the one answer indicates that it is only practiced by a clandestine and therefore unrecognized group.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 29 April 2013 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  679
Joined  2009-11-18
lookingfor_light - 29 April 2013 08:44 AM

Is this rite recognized or is it illicit?

Ifr you’re asking if the Scandinavian Rite is recognized, the answer is yes. It is the rite used by the Grand Lodges of the Scandinavian countries, which are recognized by UGLE and USA grand lodges.

Signature 

Liberty Pickering Lodge #219, Baltimore MD
Druid RA Chapter #28, Baltimore
Hiram Council #5 R&SM;, Baltimore
Monumental Commandery #3, Baltimore
Harrisburg Consistory AASR, Harrisburg, PA

Posted: 19 March 2018 02:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2016-10-03
REYoung - 20 October 2012 09:27 AM

The Scandinavian Rite (practiced in Sweden, Denmark, Norway, and, I think, Finland) consists of 7 or 8 degrees. The first three, called the St. John’s degrees, are more or less similar to ours. The next 3 or 4, called the St. Andrews degrees, are more like our Chapter or Scottish Rite degrees. The highest degrees are reserved for only a small number of brethren. I believe that in Sweden the top degree is very exclusive and confers some sort of civil nobility (Sweden is a monarchy and I believe the King is honorary Grand Master). I believe this goes back to Marshall Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte, one of Napoleon’s field marshalls, who was elected King of Sweden sometime after Waterloo, and whose descendents are still the reigning royal family.

There are some errors here, some parts are correct in history (but simplified). However some errors exist in how its practiced today.
The rite consits of 10 degrees with an additional degree for the grand lodge.
I-III are lodge of St John.
IV-V and VI are lodge of St Andrews.
VII-X are chapters.
R&K (Knight commander of the red cross) is a degree for active or former members of the Grand Lodge.
Order of Charles XIII is not a degree but a royal order that is given to deserving R&K.

Everyone can get the X degree but it takes about 20 years.

The main creator of the Swedish rite was Charles XIII who was highly involved with freemasonry at the time.

Signature 

IV-V St Andrews loge Lejonet och kronan (Lion and the Crown)

FCM Lodge of St Johns Astræa
GL of Sweden (Swedish Order of Freemasons).
http://www.frimurarorden.se/information-in-english/

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3241 seconds.