Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

I think the Lodge forgot about me…
Posted: 23 September 2009 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2009-03-16

I peitioned my local lodge shortly before they went dark for the summer.  I didn’t have a connection per se, I just introduced myself at an open house last year & it went from there.  The current WM is the closest thing I have to a sponsor right now, he’s been my main point of contact since expressing interest.

I was invited to the lodge’s welcome back picnic and was supposed to be investigated then, so that they could vote on my petition at the first meeting.  It seemed like we all had a good time—except None of the investigating commitee showed up, and they were supposed to get in contact with me to arrange something so that my petition could proceed.  Two stated meetings have gone by since then, and I’m starting to feel like I was pre-blackballed by the investigating comittee before even getting that far.  But, I realize that there could be plenty of other factors holding it up—just feels like I should have gotten a phone call of some kind by now.

What do I do?  Initiate more contact, or just be patient?

Posted: 24 September 2009 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  116
Joined  2007-10-15
SKH32^ - 23 September 2009 08:53 PM

What do I do?  Initiate more contact, or just be patient?

If you petitioned a lodge just before they went dark, it’s not unreasonable that you’ll have to wait a bit more before you hear anything.  At least as far as things are done in Massachusetts, their first meeting back will involve their annual business meeting, and possibly the election and installation of officers as well as the potential for an official visit from the DDGM.  This is a busy time of year, Masonically.  Consider also that once an application has been accepted, it needs to be read in to the lodge minutes, then published in the communication the following month, then voted upon; with the investigation committee meeting in the meantime to give their report prior to te vote.  So assuming they meet in September to proceede with your application, you may not hear back from the lodge until December.

I understand this can be frustrating, and I remember it well from when I first petitioned, but I can only suggest you wait the time with patience.  One thing you can do is to drop by the lodge on their open house on the 17th of October and say hi.

Good luck,

Posted: 24 September 2009 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2079
Joined  2008-01-21

I encourage you to contact the WM, and just let him know the situation. Keep in mind, that the officers of your lodge, and the investigating committee are volunteers, and they have family and career committments. Also, paperwork gets overlooked, and with the lodge being shut down for the summer, anything can happen. It is perfectly permissible to be pro-active, and to inquire about the status of your application.

Here is an interesting link, that you should read:

http://www.masonicinfo.com/approaching.htm

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 24 September 2009 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4003
Joined  2007-09-27

If it makes you feel any better, when I first expressed an interest in joining, I was forgotten about as well for a little while.  The lodge was transitioning between Masters and officers, and before I knew it, a year had gone by.  Then I was contacted by the new Master (thanks BOB!!) who apologized profusely and got the ball rolling for me.

Those things happen from time to time unfortunately, but I doubt very much that you’ve been pre-blackballed.  It doesn’t really work like that.

I would just keep talking to the WM and eventually they will pull it together.

Best of luck.

Dan Madore
Columbian Lodge, Boston

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Senior Deacon, Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Aleppo Temple

Posted: 24 September 2009 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  273
Joined  2008-01-08

Dear Steve H. of Ohio,
You seem like an educated articulate man of many interests. It is rare that one of solid stature falls through the cracks for long. That said, the Master of the lodge works closely with the Lodge Secretary. Each have tasks and many schedules. They are aware of you in the list of, maybe, other candidates looking for membership. Remember the adage: ” the squeeky wheel…” and make the call. Now, I have worked with the Grand Lodge of Ohio on some items in the past and it is well organized. If some time passes and you feel unable to make the right connections or feel slighted, you have the right to search for a Lodge in your vicinity to pursue a positive outcome ( I do assume that your petition has yet to be read in a regular lodge meeting). My first instinct is to get that commitment from the current situation. All will work out.  I do remember a brother Dan Madore and his petitioning my Lodge. He did not have the tools of this Forum available at the time. He is a great member and a great officer of the Lodge now. But, You have all the tools!
Ronald Doucette - Forum Moderator

Posted: 25 September 2009 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2009-07-28

;)

Posted: 25 September 2009 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  783
Joined  2007-03-18

Hello Ben

This email is a good one. And the Lodge is doing everything in order. It is not unusual for things to take this long—sometimes longer.

If the Secretary has told you this is the process, you now just need to be patient. Do make sure that the people you put down as references can speak to your good character—and that their contact information is current. It may not be a “formal” investigation, but your references will be contacted. They do not have to be Masons.

Then just wait for the call. You do not have to do anything to prepare for your initiaion if you are so accepted.

One quick thing—when I was Master, I did have a couple of prospective candidates ask if they could help out in any charitable activities while they were waiting for the vote. If you do talk to the Secretary, it never hurts to put that kind of enthusiasm forward. I never turned down an applicant who was willing to help—and you’ll get to meet some of your future brothers in the process.

Good luck—and let us know your progress!

Bob Heruska
Boston, MA

Signature 

Bob Heruska
Past Master
Columbian Lodge
Boston, MA

Member of the York Rite, Scottish Rite, and the Mystic Shrine.

Posted: 04 January 2010 03:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  104
Joined  2010-01-04

So, any updates on your status?

Signature 

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/journal/australian-geographic-to-screen-lost-moonwalk-footage.htm
Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin with the US flag on the surface of the Moon (Neil Armstrong was not a Mason. Buzz Aldrin, however, is a 33rd degree Scottish Rite Mason, a Masonic Knight Templar, and a Shriner.).

Posted: 20 February 2017 12:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2017-01-29

Based on his bio on this forum, it did fine:

Member in Bellevue Lodge #273 (Ohio)
http://www.bellevuemasoniclodge.weebly.com

Investigated on 10/8/09

EA 10/27/09

FC 11/24/09

MM 01/12/10

First Lecture delivery:  02/18/2011(FC)

Senior Deacon for 2010-2011
Lodge Education Officer beginning in 2011

Royal Arch Mason—2011

Signature 

Fort Pierce #87 - Grand Lodge of Florida
Al Menah Shrine Temple - Oasis of Tennessee

Posted: 06 March 2017 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2014-08-22
majickmann - 20 February 2017 12:13 AM

Based on his bio on this forum, it did fine:

Member in Bellevue Lodge #273 (Ohio)
http://www.bellevuemasoniclodge.weebly.com

Investigated on 10/8/09

EA 10/27/09

FC 11/24/09

MM 01/12/10

First Lecture delivery:  02/18/2011(FC)

Senior Deacon for 2010-2011
Lodge Education Officer beginning in 2011

Royal Arch Mason—2011

Great!

Signature 

St. Matthews Lodge 906, Louisville,Kentucky.
Suburban Lodge 740, Louisville,Kentucky
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
Knights of St. Andrew, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter # 5, Royal Arch Masons
Louisville Council # 4, Royal and Select Masters
Louisville-DeMolay Commandery #12, Knights Templar

‹‹ The Legacy      Basic Question ››

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3299 seconds.