Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

The Legacy
Posted: 18 September 2009 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-09-18

Hello, I have a few questions and a story. My grandfather was a free mason. His dad was a freemason, and so o n down the line. Most of this i can not verify but mainly is hear say within my family. he passed away when i was just a little kid. I remember some things about him including being a free mason. My grandmother knows nothing about his “freemason life.” He never discussed anything about his meetings with her and she never asked. He always instilled the ideals of taking care of your fellow man, and live your life in service to others and to God. After he passed away there was a group of men all wearing free mason rings that were as his funeral. My grandmother didnt know them, nor did anyone else. Each one though came up to my grandmother, shook her hand, said a few words to her and then spoke to my dad, my uncle, then each shook my hand. One man gave me a note which i have kept til it was destoryed a few years back. it simply says, Let this death be the lesson that you accept the certainty of death and the uncertainty of life. Live your life by the brotherhood of man under the guidance of the fatherhood of God. Since then, i have been intrested in the Freemasons. I dont want to know everything. I am still young, 23. I know i have a lot of learning to do. My saying for my life is the day I stop learning is the day i stop living. I have done years and years and years of research on the freemasons. I know even if i read every book, theory, passage, and ask every question i can fathom, there will still be so much i dont know about the brotherhood that you are apart of. I dont know if i am or ever will be ready to walk in t he shoes of my grandfather as a free mason. i dont even know if you would accept me as one. BUT, this brotherhood was a huge part of my grandfathers life, it helped him be the man who i love and remember. I just wish i would have known him as well as his brothers did and if there is a chance of me ever being able to be a freemason i would love to try. That way i can be apart of something that my ancestors were a part of. The Freemasons History is fascinating and is intertwined with my family history. A history that i know nothing about. With all this said, i would like to ask a few things. How do i learn more about either being a freemason or the basic history of my family in the freemasons if that is even possible. What is the Brotherhood of man? it seems self explanitory and i think i have a general idea but istill would like to know more. whats the best source for learning about the freemasons of old (from the start to the start of our country) Are there really masonic symbols mixed in with the birth of this country? i have many MANY more questions but i dont want to be a bother. Finally, i want to say, if there are certains things you can not disclose to me, then im fine with that. Thanks so much for your time.

-Brent

Posted: 19 September 2009 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2008-10-18

Hi Brent,

You can start with the “Find A Lodge Near You” link on this site.
Your in luck since you have one of the grandest Lodges right in Boston.
You can also go to several open houses on Square and Compasses Day in October. You can ask all you want to any number of Master Masons there.

Good luck,
Scott

Posted: 20 September 2009 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2086
Joined  2008-01-21

Interesting post, Brent. I am a third-generation Mason, myself. You need NOT have a family connection to be a Mason, any good man, who meets the requirements can petition. Most Masons, do not have any family members who are Masons.

Your questions:

How do i learn more about either being a freemason or the basic history of my family in the freemasons if that is even possible.

There are thousands of books and internet sites, where you can get a reasonably good explanation of the fraternity. I suggest:

http://www.masonicinfo.com

Also- Freemasonry for Dummies, and the “Complete idiot’s guide to Freemasonry”, both available from amazon.com

You can contact the Grand Lodge headquarters in your state, and provide them with the names, birth/death dates of your family members, and ask them to determine if any of them were Freemasons.

What is the Brotherhood of man? it seems self explanitory and i think i have a general idea but istill would like to know more.

-The Brotherhood of Man, is rather an abstract concept. Since all men, are part of the human family, we are all considered brothers. The definition is a bit more complicated, and you can learn more.

whats the best source for learning about the freemasons of old (from the start to the start of our country)

-Organized, modern Freemasonry, began in 1717, when four lodges in London, England united to form the Grand Lodge of England. Information is available from many sources, you can inquire at your local lodge, and at your state’s Grand Lodge.

Are there really masonic symbols mixed in with the birth of this country?

-Masonry uses a multitude of symbols. I reside in Washington DC metro. Some people suggest that the layout of the streets, is based on Masonic symbolism. I do not believe this to be the case. The architect who designed the city plan (Pierre Charles L’Enfant), was not a mason. The street plan is designed to slow up traffic. He got his wish, believe me.

i have many MANY more questions but i dont want to be a bother. Finally, i want to say, if there are certains things you can not disclose to me, then im fine with that. Thanks so much for your time.

-I must stress that there is very little in Masonry that is secret. The only secrets are the modes of recognition (handshakes, passwords, etc), even these are published on the internet, for anyone who wishes to research. All of us here, will be delighted to answer any question from any serious visitor. I love to talk about Masonry!

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 20 September 2009 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2008-07-29

Hello Brent:

Thank you for sharing your story with us and asking questions is not a burden to us, this is why this site exists. I am young Mason (joined at 20 now 22) and like you I had many questions and still do. The questions you pose are great ones and as you stated you have many more.

As someone stated in a previous post you should definitely find a lodge near you. If you happen to live in or near Massachusetts, we will be having our annual Square and Compasses Day on October 17th.

Feel free to post more of your questions and good luck with all your future endeavors.

Fraternally,

Jacob Descheneaux
Harmony Lodge

Signature 

Jacob Descheneaux
Newburyport, MA

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3113 seconds.