Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Is there no help for the widows son?
Posted: 24 July 2009 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-07-24

Greetings.

Earlier this year I was traveling to a spiritual festival as I will call it down south near Fort Levingwort in Missiouri. It was rather late in the a.m. and I see this well dressed fellow walking down the road. I was a little spooked at first but I couldnt let that stop me from helping someone clearly in distress out. I pulled over and asked the fellow if he was alright and if he needed a ride somewhere. He was glad to accept and I took him to the nearest gas station. He told me in an awkward manor, clearly he was embarrased, that he seemed to lost his wallet and wouldnt go further into detail. It was obvious he wanted his privacy so I offered him some cash for food, gas, and a ride. He thanked me profusely and offered to pay me back to which I immediately replied, “that won’t be neccesary.” He told me he had to do something and showed me this ring he had. Later I learned it was a freemason ring. He said that if I knew anyone who wore this type of ring and I needed some help to say, “Is there no help for the widows son?”
I kind laughed it off but thanked him regardless and wished him well. I’m not sure what that means but since then I’ve been fiercely interested in learning more and becoming a freemason.
Any ideas or suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated.

Sean P.M.

Posted: 24 July 2009 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-07-24

Thank you, friend, for responding. Actually I was visiting Missiouri for a spiritual alliance festival. I reside in LaCrosse Wisconsin. Besides visiting a local lodge, any advice? Any formalities that would be helpfull to know about. I dont want to offend anyone nor seem uncouthe. I was just following the directions given to me by a wayward mason in Missiouri. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Posted: 25 July 2009 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1905
Joined  2008-01-21

If you are interested in applying to Masonry, it is not hard. I will be more than glad to assist.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
?? , Afghanistan

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F&AM;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F&AM;)

Posted: 27 July 2009 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  281
Joined  2007-09-27

Hi, Sean-

Thank you for your question. The best resource for learning more about Freemasonry are the members of a lodge near you - the Grand Lodge of Wisconsin will help direct you to the closest lodge and put you in contact with a member.  He will answer your questions and provide you with additional information; and, if you would like, find a convenient time to meet with you, introduce you to some other members, and tour their building. If you are interested in the possibility of becoming a Mason, the process is managed at the lodge level, and making contact with a lodge is the first step towards membership. Do not worry yourself about approaching the lodge. They will welcome the opportunity to help you learn more about Freemasonry and exploring whether it is right for you.
-Robert

Signature 

Forum Administrator
Communications & Development Director
Grand Lodge of Massachusetts A.F. & A.M.
http://www.MassFreemasonry.org
http://www.AskaFreemason.org
“Is There Greatness in you?”

Posted: 28 July 2009 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  273
Joined  2008-01-08

Dear Sean from Wisconsin:
From time to time a story is posted on this forum that sounds like a parable from the New Testament. It is a nice story that could be used many times in a Masonic Lodge discussion on compassion. Masons learn early that a big heart is an important tenet of the work of making good men great. We learn to take care of one another in a private manner with dignity. Your brief encounter of compassion is noble and should this direction of becoming a Freemason be fulfilled, I’m am sure that you’ll continue to see opportunity to repeat these acts. While the words given you from this wayfaring man may be not clear (Master Masons will understand), the request for aid is universal and enduring. Masons are early to assist.

Good luck on your travels,
Ronald Doucette - Forum Moderator

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4516 seconds.