Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

A Solemn Occasion: The Masonic Funeral Service
Posted: 22 July 2009 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  273
Joined  2008-01-08

A Solemn Occasion: The Masonic Funeral Service,
On occasion a non mason has the chance to visit a funeral home and witness
the solemn service performed by the members of a Masonic Lodge on the death of a Brother. I have attended several services over my 24 years as a mason. I have participated in almost all. To the uninitiated, the sadness of the time and the newness of the experience may be overwhelming. Last night as I attended the wake of a dear friend and a longtime well-respected Master Mason, it occurred to me that this Masonic Funeral Ceremony just might be the first and only exposure to the Craft of Masons by the visitors to the Funeral Home. The deceased man’s Mother Lodge
performed this solemn service, with dignity. Sharing this experience with others secures the compassion and fraternal bound amongst Masons.
Ronald Doucette - Forum Moderator

Posted: 28 July 2009 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2009-06-05

Mike i have been looking for that as well as the cornerstone cerimony,the cornerstone cerimony is usualy done here by the grand lodge but it intrests me.my father set the cornerstone for the vollenteer rescue squad we were members of in Va. it was the only time i have seen it done both are beutiful if done properly, which i hope to accomplish with practice

Signature 

Bro. Jerry
Rifle,Co. #129

Posted: 03 August 2009 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2008-07-29

Without a doubt, the Masonic Funeral Service is one of the most beautiful and emotional events I have ever witnessed. Sadly, I have attendted many as of late. The hardest part of the fraterntiy is saying good bye to a brother. I take solace in the fact that we show our support to the famalies and that even thoguh, they are physically not with us, we always have their memories to cherish.

How great our brothers truly are.

Jacob

Signature 

Jacob Descheneaux
Newburyport, MA

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4332 seconds.