Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Masonry & AOH
Posted: 04 July 2012 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2012-03-28

I’m a newly made Mason and I’m also considering joining the Ancient Order of Hibernians, an Irish Catholic fraternal order. Does the Catholic church have any against Freemasonry? Would being a dual member of these societies be a problem?

H.A

Signature 

EA: 6//14//12
FC: 2//28//13
MM: 3//28//13

GL OF NY F&AM;

Posted: 04 July 2012 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2011-01-20
H.Abiff - 04 July 2012 04:32 PM

I’m a newly made Mason and I’m also considering joining the Ancient Order of Hibernians, an Irish Catholic fraternal order. Does the Catholic church have any against Freemasonry? Would being a dual member of these societies be a problem?

H.A

There are no restrictions from the Freemasonry side that I’m aware of. The Roman Catholic Church does have issues with us, though. There are many Catholic Masons and they realize there is no conflict. Whatever decision you make should be made prayerfully and carefully.

Signature 

John Ruggiero
Senior Warden, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 04 July 2012 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3554
Joined  2007-09-27

I believe the official position of the catholic church is that Catholics who are Freemasons are in a state of sin.  Despite reason and logic, the catholic church still believes that Freemasonry is a religion.

Those of us who are Catholic and Freemasons know this is not true.  Still, you will most likely meet with some issues if you were to disclose your membership.

Signature 

Dan

Worshipful Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Aleppo Temple

‹‹ trying to get contact      Masonic Education? ››

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3762 seconds.