Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Baphomet
Posted: 01 July 2012 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3329
Joined  2007-09-27

Due to recent questions regarding Baphomet and its association with Freemasonry, I thought it best to write a bit about it, so that those who use the search function will have a clear result to land upon.

This is a simple explanation intended to give a basic answer. See below for links to further reading.

Baphomet is not a god or any sort of deity (at least not originally, although apparently groups have taken the name and applied it to imagined deities). Medieval writers used the term to refer to Mohammed (the primary prophet in Islam). It has roots in the name used by crusaders for mosques, Bafumaria - and Mohammed, Baphometh.

The next step in the connection comes from the persecution and torture of the Knights Templar. Of the many knights who were tortured and forced confess some form of crime or heresy, only a small handful mentioned some sort of “worship” of a variation of Baphomet (Mohammed). There were others who were forced to confess idol worship. The confessions were incredibly varied and many of them completely contradicted others. Men who are being tortured will often confess to just about anything they think you want to hear.

Much later (about six hundred years later), Eliphas Levi, an occult author, seems to have invented a connection between the name Baphomet and a pentagram.

Now to Albert Pike, who in his most well known (but not well understood) work, Morals and Dogma, wrote about many religions and beliefs - both ancient and modern. It is possible that his research into some of these areas was not as thorough as it could have been, and he attributes Levi with being an expert worthy of quoting.

Then we get to “Leo Taxil” and the infamous “Taxil hoax”. For personal profit under the name Taxil, documentation was forged that used Albert Pike’s words to connect Freemasonry to the worship of Baphomet. Even though the author publicly and in a very dramatic fashion announced to the world that his work was a complete fabrication, it is still used today by anti-Masons who assume the ignorance of their listeners to continue this myth that Freemasons worship some sort of diety called “Baphomet”.

So…take a word used during a painfully forced confession in the 1300s, pass it through a work of fiction, mistakenly use it in a book that touches upon religious history, incorporate it into an admitted forgery, then ignore all the facts that led up to this point - and that’s how you get to Freemasons worshipping Baphomet.

Note, please feel free to PM me if you believe there are any inaccuracies in this summary.

For more detail on this subject, please read the valuable information from the following pages:

http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/anti-masonry/baphomet.html

http://www.masonicinfo.com/baphomet.htm

Signature 

Dan

Worshipful Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Weymouth United Masonic Lodge A.F.& A.M. - Weymouth, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Aleppo Temple

Posted: 01 July 2012 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2012-06-23

That is very brief yet very instructive… All i knew about a Baphomet was the goat skeleton and the pentagram :))

Posted: 02 July 2012 03:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  837
Joined  2011-11-10

.. and interestingly, if you go back to, as Dan has said, the original usage of referring to Mohammed, any ‘adherence’ would therefore be a following of the teachings of Islam!

Signature 

Richard
Provincial Assistant Grand Secretary
Initiated 1/21/1989, Passed 3/18/1989. Raised 5/20/1989, Exalted 3/31/1993
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, A&AR;, Mark, RAM, KT, KTP, OSM
UGLE.

Posted: 02 July 2012 04:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2012-06-23

Well i guess any adherence would be following what they claimed were the teachings of Islam… Besides, i do know that the baphomet and the goat shape are now used by satanists to symbolize Satan, so i guess it was a symbol that was used to describe what they thought -or claimed- was evil “which is Mohammed”, and then it went more abstract and is now used to describe evil in general… That’s just my guess ... It’s like when they used birds to communicate in the past and now you see twitter having the symbol of a bird to indicate communication…

Posted: 02 July 2012 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2012-04-24

Hey Dan,

You have given us a very interesting history of “Baphomet”, many thanks.

I don’t go in for all that “conspiracy stuff”, but your history lesson was much appreciated.

Thanks for all your efforts.

Signature 

Petitoned Valley Lodge #90 (Berwick N.S. Canada) April 14, 2012
Interview Committee May 28, 2012
Voted On June 13, 2012
EA Sept 12, 2012
FC Oct 10, 2012
MM Nov 20, 2012

Posted: 02 July 2012 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2012-06-30

I don’t know if it is me or if the file cannot be found but the 1st link “http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/anti-masonry/baphomet.htm#18” is not working.

Posted: 02 July 2012 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27
Jake,Thats me - 02 July 2012 10:24 AM

I don’t know if it is me or if the file cannot be found but the 1st link “http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/anti-masonry/baphomet.htm#18” is not working.

Fixed.  Try now.  Thanks for the heads-up!

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 02 July 2012 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2012-06-30

Great, thanks! Looks like it was the #18 that was throwing it off at the end of .html.

Posted: 02 July 2012 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  284
Joined  2012-03-05
Richard George - 02 July 2012 03:37 AM

.. and interestingly, if you go back to, as Dan has said, the original usage of referring to Mohammed, any ‘adherence’ would therefore be a following of the teachings of Islam!

Absolutely not, since Islam has very strict prohibitions on idolatry and also view Muhammad as a prophet, not a God. To a Muslim, the idea of “worshiping” Muhammad would be incredibly offensive, and worshiping him in the form of an idol would be even more offensive.

Signature 

Dave

Junior Deacon, Garden City Lodge A.F. & A.M., Newtonville, MA—Entered: 4/12/01; Passed: 5/10/01; Raised: 6/14/01
Treasurer, Boston University Lodge A.F. & A.M, Boston, MA
Mount Lebanon Lodge A.F. & A.M., Boston, MA
Boston-Lafayette Lodge of Perfection, Scottish Rite Valley of Boston
Aleppo Shrine, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Wilmington, MA

Posted: 02 July 2012 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27

As confusing as it is, try not to jumble up the confessions here.  I believe only two Templars used the word Baphomet, and I don’t believe either of them associated that with an idol.  Other Templars under torture described idols of several conflicting accounts, but I don’t think the name Baphomet was every attributed to an idol.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 03 July 2012 04:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  837
Joined  2011-11-10
DB32 - 02 July 2012 03:24 PM
Richard George - 02 July 2012 03:37 AM

Absolutely not, since Islam has very strict prohibitions on idolatry and also view Muhammad as a prophet, not a God. To a Muslim, the idea of “worshiping” Muhammad would be incredibly offensive, and worshiping him in the form of an idol would be even more offensive.

Sorry, but I actually used the words ‘follow the teachings of’ not ‘worship’!  There is a difference!

And remember that historically the Templars actually developed an admiration (NOT worship - or even a following) for the teachings of Islam.

Signature 

Richard
Provincial Assistant Grand Secretary
Initiated 1/21/1989, Passed 3/18/1989. Raised 5/20/1989, Exalted 3/31/1993
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, A&AR;, Mark, RAM, KT, KTP, OSM
UGLE.

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3941 seconds.