Posted: 14 January 2011 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2011-01-14
Dan Madore - 14 January 2011 12:54 PM
8pin - 14 January 2011 12:31 PM

Hello-

This is my first post so bare with me on my questions.  I have a couple questions to start then i will go from there.

1. In a previous post the admin said there is no degree higher then 33rd.  That being said couldn’t that just be what you are aware of? IMO i would like to think that a group that has been around for as long as the Masons have been some things could be on a need to know basis logicly speaking.

2. The above being said, is there any real answer to any of these questions?  How does one know what went on back in the day? Is it all passed down knowledge?

This is where I will start and look forward to hearing a response.

Jason

Hey Jason,

Welcome.

I’m not really sure how to answer that. The whole degree thing is very misunderstood by non-masons and even by some Masons.

First, you have to understand that the 33rd degree is not even associated with regular Masonry. Rather, it is a part of an appendant body that is associated with Masonry called the Scottish Rite. This is a group that some Masons CHOOSE to join and participate in. Others choose to join the York Rite, or the Shriners, or other appending bodies.

For those who choose to join the Scottish Rite, they are able to participate in a system of degrees that is tangential to those in in regular Freemasonry. I myself have done this and have seen degrees 4 through 32. Pretty much that is it. Members attend meetings and work to perform theatrical productions of these degrees for future members. They also continue being active in charity and fraternal aspects as well. Occasionally a member will exhibit exemplary behavior in the areas of service to their community and their fraternity, and these members are presented a form of recognition for this….which is called the 33rd degree. This is an honorary title.

That’s it. I suppose you’d have to trust us when we say that if there were other degrees, we’d certainly know about them. Since the degrees in the Scottish Rite are not a rank or a hierarchy, it really wouldn’t make sense to ask if there are any clandestine “higher degrees”.

As for your question about there being any “real” answers….I like that question. Of course, there’s no real answer to that one either :) There are things about the history of Freemasonry that have been lost over time, but there are also many things that we can answer very concretely for you. This is true about everything. The main point here is that I think there is a small group out there that believes that Masons are out to deceive people, that we are hiding something, or that there are a small group of “secretly higher up than the rest of us Masons” who are running the show without any of us knowing. It is problematic to give proof that this is not the case, but that doesn’t make it so.

For example, can you prove that there isn’t a giant invisible elephant floating in the air about a half a mile above your house? You probably can’t prove that he isn’t there, but that doesn’t mean that by default, he must be there. It just means that there are some things that you have to know about from experience. From experience you know that there is no elephant because at some point you would have had giant invisible elephant droppings landing all over your yard. From experience I know there are no “higher and hidden” degrees because I know so many Masons on a very close and personal level that it would be very hard to miss this supposed clandestine activity.

So yes, getting answer to these questions can be hard, but there comes a point where you need to accept that we would gain nothing from decpetion, and only wish for people to understand what it is that we are all about. If we were hiding something, we certainly wouldn’t be putting ourselves out here like this.

Thank you sir for your fast response to my questions.  I do like that you answer with kind of “witty” remarks the world needs more of that then just the “black and white” of it. On to my next questions:

1. The Scottish Rite, are they a subgroup of the free masons? and if so are there others? for example Eastern star?

2. I read that there are quite a few Presidents ether in office or were in office that are part of the Free Masons.  That being said and to go along with the subgroups, are there extreme groups that are part of the Free Masons?

Posted: 14 January 2011 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  783
Joined  2007-03-18

Quick response for clarification:

The administrator said there is no degree higher than the 3rd, not the 33rd. The rest are appendant or concordant.

Bob

Signature 

Bob Heruska
Past Master
Columbian Lodge
Boston, MA

Member of the York Rite, Scottish Rite, and the Mystic Shrine.

Posted: 14 January 2011 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4027
Joined  2007-09-27
Bob Heruska - 14 January 2011 01:15 PM

Quick response for clarification:

The administrator said there is no degree higher than the 3rd, not the 33rd. The rest are appendant or concordant.

Bob

Correct, I just assumed that is what he meant.

There are 3 “levels” of Freemasonry really.  Entered Apprentice, Fellow Craft, and Master Mason.  These are referred to as 1st, 2nd, and 3rd degrees.  Once you are a Master Mason (3rd degree), there is no level or rank or any other position that is “higher”.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Senior Deacon, Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 14 January 2011 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27
8pin - 14 January 2011 01:03 PM

Thank you sir for your fast response to my questions.  I do like that you answer with kind of “witty” remarks the world needs more of that then just the “black and white” of it. On to my next questions:

1. The Scottish Rite, are they a subgroup of the free masons? and if so are there others? for example Eastern star?

2. I read that there are quite a few Presidents ether in office or were in office that are part of the Free Masons.  That being said and to go along with the subgroups, are there extreme groups that are part of the Free Masons?

Those who know me will tell you….I’m fully of “witty” remarks! ;)  Sometimes it gets me in trouble. 

The Scottish Rite’s association with Freemasonry is very interesting.  I’ll just clarify that the Scottish Rite is NOT an actual “part” for Freemasonry, nor is it a “subgroup”.  It is actually it’s own group based on Masonic principles that has been recognized in America as a group that acts under Masonic principles and affords recognition by the Grand Lodges in each state.  I say this because the Scottish Rite is not officially recognized by Masonry all over the world (just another clue that there is no world-ruling conspiracy!)  For example, the Scottish Rite is not recognized as a Masonic entity in England.

There are many appending bodies to Masonry in the United States.  The Major ones are the York Rite, Scottish Rite, and The Shrine.  There are also youth organizations, women’s organizations, and other groups that are made up of Masons and family members of Masons.

13 out of the 44 presidents of the United States were Freemasons.  That’s less than a third of them, and there hasn’t been one since Ford.  As for extreme groups, I don’t know what you mean.  Can you give me an example and tell me what it would have to do with the Presidents question?

Thanks.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 14 January 2011 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-01-14
Dan Madore - 14 January 2011 01:33 PM
8pin - 14 January 2011 01:03 PM

Those who know me will tell you….I’m fully of “witty” remarks! ;)  Sometimes it gets me in trouble. 

The Scottish Rite’s association with Freemasonry is very interesting.  I’ll just clarify that the Scottish Rite is NOT an actual “part” for Freemasonry, nor is it a “subgroup”.  It is actually it’s own group based on Masonic principles that has been recognized in America as a group that acts under Masonic principles and affords recognition by the Grand Lodges in each state.  I say this because the Scottish Rite is not officially recognized by Masonry all over the world (just another clue that there is no world-ruling conspiracy!)  For example, the Scottish Rite is not recognized as a Masonic entity in England.

There are many appending bodies to Masonry in the United States.  The Major ones are the York Rite, Scottish Rite, and The Shrine.  There are also youth organizations, women’s organizations, and other groups that are made up of Masons and family members of Masons.

13 out of the 44 presidents of the United States were Freemasons.  That’s less than a third of them, and there hasn’t been one since Ford.  As for extreme groups, I don’t know what you mean.  Can you give me an example and tell me what it would have to do with the Presidents question?

Thanks.

I will say this you make this learning experience pretty fun.  What I mean by the extreme grp’s part of it is the all encompassing “Illuminati”. Now that being said please dont think im “crossing the line” with my questions. It is very well known that both Bush’s were masons or atleast made out to be masons. I have even heard that Clinton was also.

Posted: 14 January 2011 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27
8pin - 14 January 2011 01:45 PM

I will say this you make this learning experience pretty fun.  What I mean by the extreme grp’s part of it is the all encompassing “Illuminati”. Now that being said please dont think im “crossing the line” with my questions. It is very well known that both Bush’s were masons or atleast made out to be masons. I have even heard that Clinton was also.

This is 100% wrong.  Neither George Bush nor George W. Bush were Freemasons.  Neither was Bill Clinton.  The last US President who was a Freemason was Gerald Ford.  Remember, just because you read it on the internet, doesn’t make it true.  People make up all sorts of things out there, but if you’ll notice, there is no Mason who will tell you that the Bushes or Clinton were Masons.  So for you to say “It is very well known that both Bush’s were masons” is like saying “It is very well known that the earth is flat”.  Sure there are a few people out there who believe that it is, but the truth is that the earth is round.

Here is a list of the US presidents who were Masons:

http://www.mastermason.com/wilmettepark/pres.html

That’s it.  None others.  The Bush’s WERE members of a fraternity at Yale called the Skull and Bones.  I don’t know anything about them though.  They are not associated with Freemasonry.  Also, the Bavarian Illuminati doesn’t exist anymore, and is NOT a part of Freemasonry.  There are some conspiracy theorists who believe that we are all associated.  I love reading about that as someone who is actually a Freemason, those stories make me laugh.

Ever notice….it is always NON-Masons who come up with the stories about Freemasonry?  That would be like ME telling you what it’s like to be a horse.  :)

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 14 January 2011 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-01-14
Dan Madore - 14 January 2011 01:54 PM
8pin - 14 January 2011 01:45 PM

This is 100% wrong.  Neither George Bush nor George W. Bush were Freemasons.  Neither was Bill Clinton.  The last US President who was a Freemason was Gerald Ford.  Remember, just because you read it on the internet, doesn’t make it true.  People make up all sorts of things out there, but if you’ll notice, there is no Mason who will tell you that the Bushes or Clinton were Masons.  So for you to say “It is very well known that both Bush’s were masons” is like saying “It is very well known that the earth is flat”.  Sure there are a few people out there who believe that it is, but the truth is that the earth is round.

Here is a list of the US presidents who were Masons:

http://www.mastermason.com/wilmettepark/pres.html

That’s it.  None others.  The Bush’s WERE members of a fraternity at Yale called the Skull and Bones.  I don’t know anything about them though.  They are not associated with Freemasonry.  Also, the Bavarian Illuminati doesn’t exist anymore, and is NOT a part of Freemasonry.  There are some conspiracy theorists who believe that we are all associated.  I love reading about that as someone who is actually a Freemason, those stories make me laugh.

Ever notice….it is always NON-Masons who come up with the stories about Freemasonry?  That would be like ME telling you what it’s like to be a horse.  :)

Wait a sec. The world isnt flat? BLASPHEMY Sorry sir u lose.

OK so moving on… was Bavarian Illuminati EVER part of the Masons?

And to your comment about “it is always NON-Masons who come up with the stories” Beside what you have said to me why dont the Mason’s distance them self publicly?

Posted: 14 January 2011 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27
8pin - 14 January 2011 02:00 PM

Wait a sec. The world isnt flat? BLASPHEMY Sorry sir u lose.

DOH! You mean all my fancy learnin’ and edumication ain’t worth nuthin? ;)

OK so moving on… was Bavarian Illuminati EVER part of the Masons?

No.  However, apparently some of the practices of the Illuminati were based on Masonic practices, and some Masons were also Illuminati members.  However, and I want to be very clear here….I think the Illuminati of which you are familiar and the real Illuminati are two different things.  The real Illuminati were an enlightment era fraternal society that was around for about a decade or so but then fizzled out.  Nowadays, everybody loves to talk about the Illuminati and secret societies, and this is because someone resurrected the NAME Illuminati in a few fictional stories including Dan Brown’s stories.  Now this group that has been gone since the 1700s all of a sudden as a masssive “presence” in modern society, but it is all made up out of a group mentality and the inability to sort fact from fiction.

And to your comment about “it is always NON-Masons who come up with the stories” Beside what you have said to me why dont the Mason’s distance them self publicly?

We HAVE attempted to dispell rumors, over and over and over again.  After a while it just becomes tiresome.  People are going to think what they want to think.  All we can do is be here for those who want to ask US the truth.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 14 January 2011 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-01-14

Ok so let the truth be known that I am a Conspiracy believer. BUT instead of saying things that are not true I search for answers. The Illuminati as I know them had to do with the holy grail and such not the Mason’s <in which i just applied>. 

I want to learn as much as i can possibly can learn.  I know you are in Mass. <which is were my ENTIRE family is from> I was born in Detroit.

So am I Mason Material is my last question.. along with…  I was lied to I was told the earth is round not flat now im confussed… :(

Posted: 14 January 2011 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27
8pin - 14 January 2011 03:04 PM

Ok so let the truth be known that I am a Conspiracy believer. BUT instead of saying things that are not true I search for answers. The Illuminati as I know them had to do with the holy grail and such not the Mason’s <in which i just applied>.

There are lots of conspiracy theory believers, but in order to be a believer, there needs to be a conspiracy to believe in, and there simply isn’t one here.  The thing is, the reason conspiracy theories are so popular is because frankly, they’re fun.  They’re grandeose, full of drama, and often hit very close to home.  It’s the same reason people tell ghost stories.  Because it is fun to suspend reality and believe things like that.  The problem is, people start to permanently suspend reality and that’s when conspiracy theories become hurtful.

I want to learn as much as i can possibly can learn.  I know you are in Mass. <which is were my ENTIRE family is from> I was born in Detroit.

So am I Mason Material is my last question..

Whether or not you are Mason material depends on you.  Check out our FAQ page to find out what is required to be a member.

I also found this page for you, which is a pretty interesting read for someone who is curious about Masonry and has heard many myths about us.  Give it a read.

http://web.mit.edu/dryfoo/www/Masonry/Questions/difficult.html

along with…  I was lied to I was told the earth is round not flat now im confussed… :(

I’ve been around the entire thing a couple of times, and I’ve never once fallen off the edge.  Rest easy, my friend.  It’s round.  :)

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 30 September 2011 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-11-27

Hello , I stumbled upon an interesting lengthy video on you tube called the light bringers. This explains the history of free masons in great detail . You might of already been aware of this documentary or perhaps not. What is your opinion pertaining to this video , If you have the time to watch it . The most anticipated question of mine is the use of pyramid, star , and different ancient hieroglyphic symbols can you clarify on this matter .

Posted: 30 September 2011 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27

I don’t been to be so dismissive, but I seen things like this hundreds of times before, so it is very old to us.  Just because you found a video on youtube doesn’t mean it is fact.  I skimmed through it and caught a couple of errors just in a 30 second skim.  The narrator is wrong about Englands Grand lodge being the “mother lodge” of the world, and frankly he lost me entirely when he started in on the dollar bill…which has been proven to be non-masonic in its design for a while now….so calling this into question has become a hallmark of misinformed documentaries.

This video appears to be the work of someone who….although he has done quite a bit of homework….still has an agenda and appears to be including false information to achieve that agenda.

Still…I applaud you coming here to ask us instead of just assuming it is true.  If you could do me a favor though….I can’t just comment on the whole video because I don’t have time to watch it right now (nor do I really want to because as I said, I’ve seen it all before).  Instead, do you have a particular question about a claim or assertion that we might be able to answer?

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 30 September 2011 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27

Oh my…I just watched a few minutes more.  He’s just rambling.  He’s making statements that have no basis in fact.  Please don’t accept this video as fact.  It is simply not.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 02 October 2011 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-10-02

One day i walked into a clothing store and i saw the freemason sign on a shirt and it had “the eye” on it which is supposed to represent Lucifer on Which confuses me because I know Freemasons dont have to worship Lucifer,but why are certain people,like this clothing brand, making it look that way?

Posted: 02 October 2011 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27
devoate - 02 October 2011 05:58 PM

One day i walked into a clothing store and i saw the freemason sign on a shirt and it had “the eye” on it which is supposed to represent Lucifer on Which confuses me because I know Freemasons dont have to worship Lucifer,but why are certain people,like this clothing brand, making it look that way?

I’m not sure where you learned that the eye would represent lucifer.  The eye used as a symbol when associated with Freemasonry symbolizes the all seeing eye of God, not of lucifer.

Signature 

Dan

3 of 20

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4270 seconds.