Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

2 of 2
What is the differnce betwwen Masonic imagery and santanic imagery
Posted: 07 April 2012 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4099
Joined  2007-09-27

Yeah, I reread this thread, and I can see how you would get upset by what I’ve said, so again, I apologize.  We get a lot of people in here who just want to throw accusations about Masons against the wall to see what sticks, so we’ve become hardened with regard to our responses to posts that seem to be of that same vein.

Just a note going forward: Moderator, Sr. Member, Newcomer, etc. are not people’s user names.  They are a title.  There are several moderators, many sr. members, and even more newcomers.  If you look above, you’ll see that my name is Dan, the person you’ve been referring to as Sr. Member is Richard, and Newcomer in this case is compengrh.  I want to make it clear that I have never met Richard.  He lives on the other side of the Atlantic from me.  In fact, most of the people in this forum I have never met in person.  That’s one of the cool thing about Freemasonry.  We are brothers and have an understanding among each other even though we’ve never met.  Look above the title to find the name of the person posting.

As I said before, I’m here to help people understand Freemasonry.  I spend my free time doing this (I’m currently cooking a lasagna and baking some focaccia for my family and had a few minutes to spare), and I do that because obviously this subject matter is important to me.  We get a broad spectrum of visitors to this site, some are hostile and some are benign.  It isn’t always easy to tell the two apart.  Your tenacity in your responses leads me to believe that you are genuine and sincere in your desire to understand Freemasonry.  I in no way want to discourage you from that, so I’m not at all above admitting that I may have been cold toward you and wish to express my sincere desire to establish an amicable rapport with you.

So let me take a second to revisit your post and explain further what I was trying to do:

“A lot of people accuse music artist, poets, painters, movie makers, and fictional authors of using illuminati imagery in their work which critics end up calling it satanic imagery which critics end up calling it masonic imagery. Freemasons have stated over and over again that they do not worship the devil, even though critics have protest in saying that your own members have said you guys worship the devil (Albert Pike), and that the images and symbols that you guys use are very evil and sinister which they call satanic imagery. Since you guys say that you don’t worship devil, how do you, not any critics, but you guys distinct satanic imagery from masonic imagery?”

First of all, a lot of people accuse a lot of people of many things, but accusations don’t make something true.  Now when you bring illuminati into it, Masons will tend to laugh that off, or find it amusing because the illuminati was a society formed in Bavaria in the 1700s that had completely ended within 10 years.  Several groups since then have used the name for various reasons.  In recent history, fiction authors such as Dan Brown have used that name in their FICTICIOUS novels.  It amazes me how people have a hard time separating fact from fiction.  The Illuminati have NOTHING to do with Freemasonry.  In simple terms….they aren’t even a “thing” anymore.  They exist mostly in the minds of fiction authors and conspiracy theorists.

With regard to the satanic vs. Masonic imagery, hopefully I’ve addressed that sufficiently in previous posts, but let me know if it is unclear and I’ll happily expound upon earlier postings.  I also think we’ve properly addressed the Albert Pike thing in this thread, especially by directly referencing the “Taxil Hoax” which you have hopefully read about by now. 

Finally, as to how WE distinguish our symbols from others….I also think I’ve made clear that an understanding of how symbols work will clear this up, but to make things simple….the symbols we use have particular meaning to us, and we don’t care what meaning the same symbols have to others.  To you, the swastika may mean Nazi’s.  To the Hindus, the swastika means something totally different.  To the Hindus then need to justify how they distinguish their swastika from the way the Nazis viewed it? 

Let me know what else I can help you with.  I’m happy to do so, and again, sorry we got off on the wrong foot.  Those things happen, but it is how we move past them that shows what kind of people we are.

Signature 

Dan

1st District Membership Chairman - Boston, MA
Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
The Lodge of the Royal Secret - Boston, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 07 April 2012 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2011-03-17
Kueen - 05 April 2012 09:27 PM

A lot of people accuse music artist, poets, painters, movie makers, and fictional authors of using illuminati imagery in their work which critics end up calling it satanic imagery which critics end up calling it masonic imagery. Freemasons have stated over and over again that they do not worship the devil, even though critics have protest in saying that your own members have said you guys worship the devil (Albert Pike), and that the images and symbols that you guys use are very evil and sinister which they call satanic imagery. Since you guys say that you don’t worship devil, how do you, not any critics, but you guys distinct satanic imagery from masonic imagery?

Kirkland,

It is important for you to know that there is no higher degree in Freemasonry than the third degree, or, Master Mason. This is the foundation of Freemasonry. My question to you, my friend, is what satanic imagery are you aware of that is a part of the three degrees of Freemasonry. If you have done your research, you well know that there are approximately 50 images with-in the three steps to become a Master Mason. I have seen nothing in these images that have anything similar to being satanic. As our well respected Brother Dan has tried to explain, images mean different things to different organizations. My question to you is; What image are you referring to? If it has something to do with the three steps of Freemasonry, I, or any other Master Mason can respond to your question. If it has to do with the York Rite or Scottish Rite, a Brother privy to that information will have to answer. If it has to do with the Shrine, another Brother will have to answer. If it has to do with The Order of the Eastern Star, another Brother will have to answer. Freemasonry of the Blue Lodge has NO image of Satan!!

Signature 

Jay Mathis
Past Master
Tuckerton Lodge # 4 F&AM;
Tuckerton, NJ

Posted: 17 April 2012 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2012-04-05

I haven’t seen all Masonic symbols to.know which ones they all speak about. Again this is not my understanding of it I just need clariyfication. The only onea I know for sure they talk about being devil worshiping symbols is the all seing eye, the eye that watches over you guys is the eye of devil. The five pointed star which symbolizes the devil, and the skull and bones. I relize I’m a little late on response, but I’ve been busy. I’m sorry Dan, I thought that calling you Moderator or saying Sr. Member was a sign og respect. I thought it was a name given to you by the fellow freemasons.

Posted: 17 April 2012 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2409
Joined  2011-01-20
Kueen - 17 April 2012 06:11 PM

I haven’t seen all Masonic symbols to.know which ones they all speak about. Again this is not my understanding of it I just need clariyfication. The only onea I know for sure they talk about being devil worshiping symbols is the all seing eye, the eye that watches over you guys is the eye of devil. The five pointed star which symbolizes the devil, and the skull and bones. I relize I’m a little late on response, but I’ve been busy. I’m sorry Dan, I thought that calling you Moderator or saying Sr. Member was a sign og respect. I thought it was a name given to you by the fellow freemasons.

The all-seeing eye is not, to Masons, the eye of the devil. It is the all-seeing eye of God.

The five pointed star is the symbol of the Order of the Eastern Star and is based on the biblical story of Ruth. No Satanism involved.

The skull and bones is called “Momento Mori” and reminds us that we are mortal.

Most of this kind of thing can be linked to a man who called himself Leo Taxil. Do yourself a favor and read the Wikipedia articles on him. He is one of my personal favorite characters in Masonic history.

By the way, my name is John. I’m pleased to meet you.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 18 April 2012 01:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1354
Joined  2011-11-10

... and the skull and crossed bones in the Knights Templar order actually represents and reminds us of the place called Golgotha; the place of the skull ... where Christ was crucified to save us ... nothing could be further from a representation of the devil!

Signature 

Richard
UGLE: Craft (PAGDC), Royal Arch (PProvGTreas)
Additional Orders: Mark, RAM, A&AR;, KT, KTP, ROS

2 of 2

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3367 seconds.