Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

2 of 2
Freemasonry and Homosexuality
Posted: 19 April 2012 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4096
Joined  2007-09-27
Tommy Turner - 19 April 2012 04:43 AM

Does Masonic lodges accept homosexuals and transsexuals?

I merged this with another thread about the same topic, so please read above for answers to your question.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 25 April 2014 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2014-04-21

I can say from my own experience in my lodge in Northeastern Pennsylvania there is no issue whatsoever.  We have a total of 327 members, and I am very open in my own sexuality and have been met with nothing but kindness.  I’m not saying that I don’t believe some members do not agree with how I choose to live my life, but for me it is not a choice and I believe I was born this way.  I am very involved in the civic community and I find that if you are a good person that is looking to do good than the majority of the time those boundaries of homophobia or persecution crumble.  I am not going to say that my experience is going to be the same no matter where you go, but I feel a man should be based upon the character of their person and not their skin, age, disability, or even sexual orientation.  Yes, older members of my lodge may not like the idea, but I have been surprised and have quite a few come up to me and said that they were my brother and nothing would ever alter that.  Likewise I have also had younger members point out to me that there is nothing in the bylaws that state that one can not be gay and a member of the lodge at the same time.  As others have stated it does take a ballot by members where anyone can black ball you for any reason and one does not have to say what that reason is.  However in PA we need a total of two blackballs from the start to make that so.  As an alternative, if your lodge is small enough or you have some friends who may be able to sway the Worshipful Master to ask for a ballot by voice.  I tend to find people are far less inclined to black ball if it is done via a voice balloting.

Just my own experiences as a gay male and master mason from a very conservative coal mining region of Pennsylvania.

Rob

Signature 

Rob

Master Mason of Hazle Azalea Fellowship Lodge No. 327, Hazleton, PA
32nd Degree Master Mason of Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite Valley of Bloomsberg, PA

“Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving.”
      -Albert Einstein.

Posted: 25 April 2014 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4096
Joined  2007-09-27

Thanks for the insight into your experience, brother Rob!

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 25 April 2014 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2014-04-21

No problem, I know there are far and few in-between those that can give a real first hand perspective on this topic, and it was one I had many questions with myself when I was thinking of joining.

For me once you truly learn what masonry is I think it is a no brainier when it comes to wanting to join.  I love knowledge and learning, and there is nothing truly like having people that you can call your fellow brothers and also to know that they are always there for you.  All differences aside in politics, religion, and even this…  it’s an amazing feeling to know that people can come together, look past everything and try to become better individuals and they are there for one another no matter what it is.

THAT is Freemasonry at its core in my opinion, and I’m glad I could contribute just a bit.

Signature 

Rob

Master Mason of Hazle Azalea Fellowship Lodge No. 327, Hazleton, PA
32nd Degree Master Mason of Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite Valley of Bloomsberg, PA

“Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving.”
      -Albert Einstein.

2 of 2

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.2968 seconds.