Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

1 of 2
Freemasonry and Homosexuality
Posted: 05 April 2012 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2012-04-05

This is probably not something that is talked about on this website. But I am curious to know is it possible to be gay and be a freemason at the same time. Is homosexuality frawned on in Freemason teachig? Or is thre something in rituals where homosexuality can be removed and you can become more natural. Would homosexuality be something that is considered an obstical for the soul and spirit and freemsasonry can help get rid of that part of your spirit. How is homosexuality usually looked at in masonic teachings?

Posted: 05 April 2012 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2012-03-04

Homosexuality from my understanding has to do with whatever religion you are. Freemasonry isn’t a religion, therefore it doesn’t have all these teachings and beliefs about things like that, it all comes down to what YOU believe. Now of course you’re not going to go around telling people your views because stuff like that isn’t spoken of in lodges, but it all comes down to what you believe. Religion isn’t something that’s spoken about in the lodge; everyone has their own beliefs, so to answer your question, I don’t believe that it is an issue to be gay and a mason.

Posted: 05 April 2012 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2012-03-17

I haven’t heard the subject come up before but I think that would have a lot to do with where you live. I live in the south so it wouldn’t be as excepted as say in California. I wouldn’t have a problem with it but I know some that would

Signature 

Jake Barnes

Hiram Lodge #68 Anderson,SC A.F.M
EA degree 3/15/2012
FC degree 5/24/2012
MM degree 6/28/2012
Steward 2013

Posted: 06 April 2012 12:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2012-04-05

Hows being gay a religious thing. I guess it could be linked to religion but sexuality is not synamous wiith religion

Posted: 06 April 2012 12:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2086
Joined  2008-01-21

Freemasonry is generally not interested in the private activities of individual Masons. There are masons who are openly gay. No attempt is made to alter or change the sexual orientation of individual Masons.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 06 April 2012 02:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1302
Joined  2011-11-10

The bottom line, is that unless you came out with the info in conversation, it’s not a question that would ever be asked

Signature 

Richard
Past Assistant Grand Director of Ceremonies (UGLE)
PProvJGW, PProvGReg, PProvAGSec (Craft)
PProvGTreas, PProvGReg, PProv1stAGSoj (Royal Arch)
Mark (PProvGIWks), Royal Ark Mariner (ProvRAMGR)
Ancient and Accepted Rite; (30°), Knights Templar (PStdB)
Knight Templar Priest (PGBB), Royal Order of Scotland
Order of Secret Monitor (AKA Brotherhood of David and Jonathan - unattached)

Posted: 06 April 2012 06:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4087
Joined  2007-09-27

No problem. Your zeal is truly laudable.  We just prefer that the Masons are the ones answering on askafreemason.org ;)
Soon enough though…..

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 06 April 2012 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  377
Joined  2012-03-05

Freemasonry is not concerned with the private lives of its members. It has no official position on the morality of sexual orientations. It is not concerned with that question. Any man may become a Freemason provided that he believes in God, is loyal to his country, and is a man of good character. Since being gay does not contradict any of those requirements, I see no reason why a gay man could not become a Freemason.

Signature 

Dave

Worshipful Master, Garden City Lodge A.F. & A.M., Newtonville, MA—Entered: 4/12/01; Passed: 5/10/01; Raised: 6/14/01
Treasurer, Boston University Lodge A.F. & A.M, Boston, MA
Mount Lebanon Lodge A.F. & A.M., Boston, MA
Boston-Lafayette Lodge of Perfection, Scottish Rite Valley of Boston
Aleppo Shrine, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Wilmington, MA

Posted: 06 April 2012 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27

This really depends on the lodge and the particular members.  I know for a fact there are openly gay Masons in some lodges.  I also know for a fact that there are Masons who would blackball a man for being gay because he believes his faith tells him that homosexuality is wrong, and that a gay man is breaking the laws of God, therefore not of good moral character.

A gay man should be aware of this when applying to a Masonic lodge.  He may be accepted if there are no people in the lodge who are religiously opposed to homosexuality.

It’s kind of messy.  Freemasonry doesn’t itself adopt any particular faith, but it encourages its members to follow THEIR faith, so a member voting against a gay man may do so because he believes he’s following his faith.  It isn’t a perfect system, but in the end the purpose of unanimously electing a member is to maintain harmony in a lodge, and one member is morally opposed to the behavior of another, that harmony will be disrupted.

Hopefully that makes some sense.  It depends on the ldoge and its members.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 06 April 2012 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  377
Joined  2012-03-05

Once again, Brother Dan has filled in the part that I neglected to mention! He’s absolutely correct that there might be some individual members who may feel as though their own sense of faith compels them to reject a petition from an openly gay applicant.

Signature 

Dave

Worshipful Master, Garden City Lodge A.F. & A.M., Newtonville, MA—Entered: 4/12/01; Passed: 5/10/01; Raised: 6/14/01
Treasurer, Boston University Lodge A.F. & A.M, Boston, MA
Mount Lebanon Lodge A.F. & A.M., Boston, MA
Boston-Lafayette Lodge of Perfection, Scottish Rite Valley of Boston
Aleppo Shrine, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Wilmington, MA

Posted: 06 April 2012 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2012-04-05

That’ s understandable I guess but aren’t masons supppse to be advanced enoight where that kind prejudice doesn’ t exsit? So i could be denied for being black or something like that. It’s understandable that people may have thier biews on homosexuality through relgious teachings, but I would think the way the bible was used against black people to support hatered and the promotion of slavery masons or otherwise would have those same type of views as they did back then. Would happens when a child is born intersexual and they have both male and female body parts and the doctors and the parents can’t even tell if the child is male or female? What do you tell them when it comes to the bible? Choose and choose wisely?

Posted: 06 April 2012 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2377
Joined  2011-01-20
Kueen - 05 April 2012 08:53 PM

This is probably not something that is talked about on this website. But I am curious to know is it possible to be gay and be a freemason at the same time. Is homosexuality frawned on in Freemason teachig? Or is thre something in rituals where homosexuality can be removed and you can become more natural. Would homosexuality be something that is considered an obstical for the soul and spirit and freemsasonry can help get rid of that part of your spirit. How is homosexuality usually looked at in masonic teachings?

There are no questions related to a man’s sexual orientation on the petition or application for the degrees. There is no mention of homosexuality in any of the degrees or teachings of Masonry.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 06 April 2012 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27
Kueen - 06 April 2012 01:43 PM

That’ s understandable I guess but aren’t masons supppse to be advanced enoight where that kind prejudice doesn’ t exsit? So i could be denied for being black or something like that. It’s understandable that people may have thier biews on homosexuality through relgious teachings, but I would think the way the bible was used against black people to support hatered and the promotion of slavery masons or otherwise would have those same type of views as they did back then. Would happens when a child is born intersexual and they have both male and female body parts and the doctors and the parents can’t even tell if the child is male or female? What do you tell them when it comes to the bible? Choose and choose wisely?

There are still members of lodges who were born and raised in a different time, and everyone gets a vote.  You aren’t going to change the mind of a 90 year old man from Alabama.  He gets a vote too.  That’s just the way it is.  I don’t always like how certain people vote, but that’s the nature of voting, everyone gets one.

We tell members to vote their conscience and vote in the best interest of the lodge.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 09 April 2012 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1466
Joined  2010-11-01
Kueen - 06 April 2012 01:43 PM

That’ s understandable I guess but aren’t masons supppse to be advanced enoight where that kind prejudice doesn’ t exsit?

We are still men though, complete with flaws, shortcomings, and imperfections.  We are supposed to try and not let prejudices cloud our judgement, but we are not perfect and errors will be made from time to time.  It is unfortunate, but it is a reality.  We do strive for perfection but you have to make mistakes and learn from them to make progress towards that perfection.  Is that perfection ever reached in this life?  I don’t believe so.

Signature 

W:.Paul Hulseapple
Past Master St. Georges Lodge #6
Schenectady, NY
Feliciana Lodge #31
St. Francisville, LA

32°AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
E:. High Priest

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S.

Posted: 19 April 2012 04:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-04-17

Does Masonic lodges accept homosexuals and transsexuals?

Posted: 19 April 2012 06:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2086
Joined  2008-01-21

Freemasonry is not concerned with your sexual orientation. There are many Freemasons who are gay. The late J. Edgar Hoover was a 33rd degree Freemason.  The requirements for petitioning Freemasonry are easily obtainable:

Male
Mature of age (18 some states, 19 in Ohio, 21 in some states)
Good moral character (no felony convictions)
Belief in the Supreme Being (no atheist can be made a Mason)
Some states have a residency requirement (California requires the applicant to be resident in California for 12 months prior to petitioning)

I suggest you contact your nearest lodge, and make your desire to petition known to them.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

1 of 2

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4127 seconds.