Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

1 of 2
catholics
Posted: 26 March 2009 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-03-26

I’m a catholic and all I have heard growing up is you can not be a mason if your catholic. I understand it is my choice to belong to what I want. What was the big deal if a catholic became a mason? I am a Knight of Columbus member and I would like to seek more info on the freemasons because I would like to join. Is this allowed to be part of two groups? I feel both sides have left me out in left field. Can anyone help me.

Posted: 26 March 2009 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-03-26

A freemason can be of any religion.

I have also wondered about KoC and freemasonry and how that worked.

Posted: 26 March 2009 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-03-26

http://www.masonforum.com/viewthread/452/

You can also check out this thread from someone else that had the same question.

Posted: 27 March 2009 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2009-03-26

Thanks all to all the information you are giving me. I would like to join the freemasons and didn’t know if my status of being a KofC would keep me out. How do I check with my state (Minnesota Lodge)if am not a member. Will anyone even talk to me?

Posted: 27 March 2009 07:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  284
Joined  2007-09-27

You can reach the Grand Lodge of Minnesota at http://www.mn-masons.org. I think you will find that your membership in the Knights of Columbus will not be an issue that will stand in the way of becoming a Mason.
-Robert

Signature 

Forum Administrator
Communications & Development Director
Grand Lodge of Massachusetts A.F. & A.M.
http://www.MassFreemasonry.org
http://www.AskaFreemason.org
“Is There Greatness in you?”

Posted: 27 March 2009 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2009-03-20

in the past both the Knights of Columbus and the Masonic Fraternity have worked side by side with certain charities.  I do know of certain Masons that are also K of C members as well.

Signature 

[Fraternally, Curator, Cambridge Masonic Temple.

Posted: 31 March 2009 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2009-03-26

Yes on the Catholic end I was told I could not join in volation with the church beliefs. I still have not gotton an answer from the catholic side one what grounds. I know both groups do alot of fundraing together so what is the issue????Anyone…

Posted: 31 March 2009 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2008-07-29

There is no issue. I have heard such conflicting views on this subject. Some have said the Catholic church now recognizes us, others have said the opposite. I know this much, there is nothing in our organization that would conflict with Catholicism and there has NEVER been any Masonic doctrine created that said Catholics cannot join the Freemasons.

As for the Knights of Columbus, I had read some where that, it was started by Catholic masons who had feared excommunication. I do not proclaim this as fact because, I do not know. What I do now is both organizations do a vast amount of charity and I think that is something everyone can certainly be proud of.

Fraternally,

Jacob P. Descheneaux

Signature 

Jacob Descheneaux
Newburyport, MA

Posted: 01 April 2009 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2009-03-26

Excommunication, is what I have been told also. I find it funny because one day last summer I had asked a gentlemen if he would be interested in joining the Knights of Columbus in return he looked at me and aked if I would like to join the freemasons. This is an active person in the catholic church. I would like to join the freemasons and have contacted a lodge in my home town. I think it will be great to join an organization of the masons. Thank You.

Posted: 02 April 2009 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2009-02-26
poochie - 01 April 2009 06:26 PM

Excommunication, is what I have been told also. I find it funny because one day last summer I had asked a gentlemen if he would be interested in joining the Knights of Columbus in return he looked at me and aked if I would like to join the freemasons. This is an active person in the catholic church. I would like to join the freemasons and have contacted a lodge in my home town. I think it will be great to join an organization of the masons. Thank You.

Freemasonry allows Roman Catholics to join (anyone who believes in a supreme being really).

It is the Roman Catholic church that is against Freemasonry.
Excommunication, used to be the the penalty for a catholic who joined freemasonry
but current view by the Roman Catholic Church is that Freemasons are in a state of
grave sin and may not receive Holy Communion.

Precisely by considering all these elements, the Declaration of the Sacred Congregation affirms that membership in Masonic associations «remains forbidden by the Church», and the faithful who enrolls in them «are in a state of grave sin and may not receive Holy Communion».

With this last statement, the Sacred Congregation points out to the faithful that this membership objectively constitutes a grave sin and by specifying that the members of a Masonic association may not receive Holy Communion, it intends to enlighten the conscience of the faithful about a grave consequence which must derive from their belonging to a Masonic lodge.

Finally, the Sacred Congregation declares that «it is not within the competence of local ecclesiastical authorities to give a judgment on the nature of Masonic associations which would imply a derogation from what has been decided above». In this regard, the text also refers to the Declaration of 17 February 1981, which already reserved to the Apostolic See all pronouncements on the nature of these associations which may have implied derogations from the Canon Law then in force (Can. 2335). In the same way, the new document issued by the S.C.D.F. in November 1983 expresses identical intentions of reserve concerning pronouncements which would differ from the judgment expressed here on the irreconcilability of Masonic principles with the Catholic faith, on the gravity of the act of joining a lodge and on the consequences which arise from it for receiving Holy Communion. This disposition points out that, despite the diversity which may exist among Masonic obediences, in particular in their declared attitude towards the Church, the Apostolic See discerns some common principles in them which require the same evaluation by all ecclesiastical authorities.

Source: The Vatican
http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_19850223_declaration-masonic_articolo_en.html

Signature 

Valley Lodge #100 G.R.C.
Dundas Ontario Canada

Posted: 11 August 2009 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-08-11

Yes you can be a Catholic Mason. Be fourwarned! This is a one way street! The Masons are 100% ok with Catholic member but not visa versa. If the church was to find out that you were a Mason you would be automaticaly excomunicated! They concider it a mortal sin under the Cannon laws. To read the ofical papal stance on Masonry http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/freemasonry.htm

From one Catholic Mason to Another.

Posted: 11 August 2009 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  284
Joined  2007-09-27

The assertion that a Catholic would be automatically excommunicated from the Church because he is a Mason is not accurate. In Massachusetts, as well as in many other jurisdiction I suspect, there are Catholics who are known to be Masons in their church and by their priest.

That being said, there are potentially grave consequences for a Catholic to become a Mason. I would encourage any Catholic who is thinking of becoming a Mason to gather as much information (including speaking to his priest) before making a decision.

Signature 

Forum Administrator
Communications & Development Director
Grand Lodge of Massachusetts A.F. & A.M.
http://www.MassFreemasonry.org
http://www.AskaFreemason.org
“Is There Greatness in you?”

Posted: 11 August 2009 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  788
Joined  2007-03-18

Dear Brother.

I’m sorry, but having read your various posts I am not sure of your intent.

If you are a Mason you know that there is nothing in Freemasonry that is in any way antithetical to the Church.

I apologize for this reply, but while we try to keep the Forum open, some of your posts appear to be linked to monitoring sites attempting to cause havoc within the Fraternity. Your posts will be monitored to remain in the Forum.

I have been a Catholic for over 50 years and an active Mason for for more than 20. I have spoken to many priests about the subject. At one time I studied for the priesthood myself, and have been involved with symposiums at the Harvard Divinity School on it as well.

Your assertion’s about excommunication are untrue.

My research into the items you discussed showed that the decrees quoted were made in 1983 and were clarifications made by the College of Cardinals who objected to many of outcomes of Vatican II. And that these were not Papal Decrees—even though the Cardinal who signed them is now the Pope. It is my understanding that the last papal decrees on Freemasonry from Pope John the 23rd actually reconciled and tempered the thoughts of the Church on Freemasonry.

I think anyone (even priests) looking at Freemasonry for what it is, and not as a witch hunt, will find it is most certainly compatible with Freemasonry.

In any event, I do not know a Catholic Mason who ever had any issues with his Church, but I agree with Brother Huke that any Mason or prospective Mason who has concerns about his involvement should speak with his priest.

Best,

Bob Heruska
Forum Moderator

Signature 

Bob Heruska
Past Master
Columbian Lodge
Boston, MA

Member of the York Rite, Scottish Rite, and the Mystic Shrine.

Posted: 12 August 2009 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2009-03-26

Thank You Bob,

My concern is my place in the catholic church. I’m an active catholic and active KofC member, and would like to move onto join the freemasons. I haven’t had much luck within the church and within the local clergy. The answer is also a grave NO! I want to know why is it a sin for a catholic to join. Many of my friends are masons and have encouraged me to move forward, I’m at a loss, looking for answers so I can move forward..Thanks

Posted: 12 August 2009 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2009-03-26

Thank you all for the information you have given me. I will now be moving forward to start my journey to freemasons, this is something I have wanted to become for quit sometime now.

Posted: 14 August 2009 04:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2080
Joined  2008-01-21

Congratulations on your decision. Please let us know how your journey goes.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

1 of 2

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3983 seconds.