Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Do Freemason’s accept Catholic’s
Posted: 21 February 2009 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-02-21

Hi
I was wondering why the Freemason’s don’t accept Catholics?  Alot of Catholic’s read about the Knight’s Templar and I myself have wondered if they were Freemasons.  They were great and mighty warrior’s.  To me Knights should be like them.  I have heard from friends that the Mason’s will not take Catholic’s?  Why?  We are all human.  Our Forefathers were Freemason’s, or some I guess and that should be a great honor.  Please will someone tell me do the Mason’s take Catholics.
Thank you and God bless you
Charles

Posted: 21 February 2009 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-03-02

Charles—-

Thanks for taking the time to write, however, you have received some incorrect information.

Freemasons accept members of ALL religious backgrounds.  It matters not to us if a member is Roman Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Muslim or any other faith.  The only requirement we have is that all members believe in a higher power.

It is my understanding that the issue between Roman Catholics and Freemasons comes from an issue that Roman Catholics have with Freemasons that we accept people of all religious backgrounds, where Roman Catholics profess that the only religious practice that will find you in heaven one day is that of Roman Catholics.

As a matter of fact, the man who was the highest ranking Mason in this area for the last two years used to be an officer in the Archdiocese of Boston.

I appreciate you looking for the correct information.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Signature 

Sincerely and Fraternally,
Adam E. Mitchell
Senior Warden - Saint George Lodge
279 Propspect Street
Brockton, MA 02301

Posted: 25 February 2009 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2008-02-22

As a Catholic mason myself; I can confidently say that there has been no issues whatsoever in regards to religion. 

Jeff

Posted: 25 February 2009 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3473
Joined  2007-09-27

Let me add to this.  I’m a Catholic.  Baptized, first communion, confession, confirmation, marriage, you name it.  I’m a Freemason, and have never found ANYTHING in Masonry to contradict my religion.

Signature 

Dan

Worshipful Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Aleppo Temple

Posted: 02 March 2009 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-12-15

I’m a Catholic I take my 3rd degree 3/11/09 !!!!!
              peace,JohnMc

Posted: 21 March 2009 12:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-03-20

I am a Catholic.  I am a Mason.  I have no feeling that what I do is morally or spiritually wrong.

However, the pope issued this statement when cardinal in 1983.  It is the last official position of the church on the issue.  Each Catholic may make his own choice according to his conscience and his determination as to his “Faithfulness”.

Here’s what then-Cardinal Ratzinger (actually as head of the Vatican’s CDF approved by Pope John Paul II)
has to say:

Declaration on Masonic Associations (Quaesitum est)

English Translation of a Latin Document from the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith November 26, 1983

It has been asked whether there has been any change in the Church’s decision in regard to Masonic associations since the new Code of Canon Law does not mention them expressly, unlike the previous code.

This sacred congregation is in a position to reply that this circumstance is due to an editorial criterion which was followed also in the case of other associations likewise unmentioned inasmuch as they are contained in wider categories.

Therefore, the Church’s negative judgment in regard to Masonic associations remains unchanged since their principles have always been considered irreconcilable with the doctrine of the Church and, therefore, membership in them remains forbidden. The faithful, who enroll in Masonic associations are in a state of grave sin and may not receive Holy Communion.
It is not within the competence of local ecclesiastical authorities to give a judgment on the nature of Masonic associations which would imply a derogation from what has been decided above, and this in line with the declaration of this sacred congregation issued Feb. 17,1981. [1]

In an audience granted to the undersigned cardinal prefect, the Supreme Pontiff John Paul II approved and ordered the publication of this declaration which had been decided in an ordinary meeting of this sacred congregation.

Rome, from the Office of the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Nov. 26, 1983

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, Prefect
Father Jerome Hamer, O.P. Titular Archbishop of Lorium, Secretary

1. Cf. AAS 73 (1981) pp. 240-241.

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.5963 seconds.