Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

1 of 2
My ring
Posted: 06 February 2012 02:16 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2011-12-12

When I finally become a master mason,which finger do I wear my ring on? I’ve seen it on masons ring and pinky fingers. Is there a specific finger? Or does it not matter?

Posted: 06 February 2012 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  647
Joined  2010-08-13
Brian0089 - 06 February 2012 02:16 AM

When I finally become a master mason,which finger do I wear my ring on? I’ve seen it on masons ring and pinky fingers. Is there a specific finger? Or does it not matter?

There is no rule specifically. However it seems that most who decide to wear a ring wear it on the right hand ring finger or one of the pinkies. It is really personal preference. I know a few who prefer to wear pendants to rings or a few who wear no Masonic bling at all.

Signature 

Bro. Bill A.
Master
Potunk Lodge # 1071
Grand Lodge of NY
2nd Circle Chairman - The Masonic Society

“If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.”
- Rene Descartes

Posted: 06 February 2012 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2011-12-12

Ok well that being said,those masons who wear rings please post which finger you wear your ring on. If there’s a reason,and you don’t mind sharing,please post that as well!

Posted: 06 February 2012 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-09-14

I wear mine on my right ring finger because my left ring finger was taken by my wedding band. LOL. Truthfully, I don’t know why I did it that way but I did and it’s comfortable to me and seems appropriate.

Posted: 06 February 2012 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3473
Joined  2007-09-27

I wear mine on the digitus quartus of my manus dextra.

Signature 

Dan

Worshipful Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Aleppo Temple

Posted: 07 February 2012 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1688
Joined  2011-01-20
Brian0089 - 06 February 2012 11:42 AM

Ok well that being said,those masons who wear rings please post which finger you wear your ring on. If there’s a reason,and you don’t mind sharing,please post that as well!

A friend loaned me his father’s ring and it was too small for my right ring finger but fit perfectly on my pinky. It was a bit uncomfortable and I didn’t like the idea of the ring being a loan. The friend would not sell it to me. I’d also love to have him become a mason and wear it himself. I scraped together the money to buy my own ring and wear it on my right ring finger or digitus quartus of my manus dextra.

There is meaning to the direction the Square and Compasses face, too. You’ll have to learn that in lodge, though.

Signature 

John Ruggiero
Senior Warden, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 07 February 2012 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3473
Joined  2007-09-27
windrider - 07 February 2012 11:17 AM

There is meaning to the direction the Square and Compasses face, too. You’ll have to learn that in lodge, though.

Good luck finding a concensus on this though.  I’ve heard arguments from both sides.

Signature 

Dan

Worshipful Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Aleppo Temple

Posted: 07 February 2012 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-20
Dan Madore - 07 February 2012 11:59 AM
windrider - 07 February 2012 11:17 AM

Good luck finding a concensus on this though.  I’ve heard arguments from both sides.

I wear mine with the points toward my wrist. I will turn it around in about 4 years. I’m JD now.

Signature 

John Ruggiero

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 08 February 2012 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1900
Joined  2008-01-21

There is no real consensus on which finger to wear your lodge ring. In the northern part of the USA, you often see men wearing the ring with the points of the compass facing up. In the south, most masons wear their ring, with the points facing outward. The direction of the man, is far more important than the direction of the ring.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
?? , Afghanistan

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F&AM;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F&AM;)

Posted: 08 February 2012 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2012-02-08

Here in Pennsylvania most wear their rings on the right hand due to the manner in which our hands were placed while receiving the first degree… and probably even more likely due to the fact that most masons are married men, and as such, already have a ring on the left hand.

There is no consensus, at least in PA lodges, as to whether the points of the compasses should face the wearer or the observer.  A few will say that they should face the wearer, replicating the first thing he observed in the lodge when he got the first degree (the compasses and square on the Bible), and thus having great spiritual meaning as well as serving as a reminder to the brother of the lessons he learned in the degrees whenever he looks at his ring.  Having tried wearing the ring with the compass points up, I soon grew tired of people asking “what’s that?” and now wear rings so that they are right-side-up and recognizable to the observer.

The ring finger is most popular,at least in my circles, though the pinky ring is a close second.  The pinky ring is also less likely to cause pain when you shake hands with a non-mason who grips you tight enough to crush walnuts.  (You definately learn the finer points of shaking hands in this fraternity!)

Posted: 10 February 2012 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-02-10

I wear my Blue lodge ring on my right hand ring finger with the points of the Compasses facing out, and my York Rite ring on my right hand pinky finger

Signature 

Bro.Greg McNeill
Mt. Moriah Lodge #18 Murfreesboro TN.
Murfreesboro York Rite Bodies.
Middle TN York Rite Association.
Al Menah Shriners, Nashville TN.
Murfreesboro Shrine Club.

Posted: 12 August 2012 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-08-12

Here is a new idea I haven’t heard of yet…

Why not where our rings with the points facing outward when we are outside of the lodge and flip them around when we are in the lodge, except for the W.M. He will always wear his facing outward. Can you figure out why I say this?

Posted: 13 August 2012 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  659
Joined  2009-11-18

My father, like many other men of his generation, wore his masonic ring on the ring finger of his left hand; no wedding ring. The custom of men wearing wedding rings was almost unknown before the 1940’s.  I believe that WWII was what popularized wedding rings for men, for various reasons, so that today they are almost as universally worn as the woman’s ring. With men wearing wedding rings, I have sometimes seen lodge rings worn on the same finger, but more often on the ring finger of the right hand. A ring worn on the pinkie of either hand doesn’t look right unless it’s a “pinkie ring”—one specifically designed for that finger.

Signature 

Liberty Pickering Lodge #219, Baltimore MD
Druid RA Chapter #28, Baltimore
Hiram Council #5 R&SM;, Baltimore
Monumental Commandery #3, Baltimore
Harrisburg Consistory AASR, Harrisburg, PA

Posted: 13 August 2012 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2012-04-24

I’m not a Mason yet, so I don’t wear a ring.

Saying that, I plan on getting a ring after I become a MM, but I’m also toying around with another idea. In my work environment, a person isn’t allowed to wear any rings, bracelets, necklaces etc… in case they get caught in any moving parts. So I’ve been thinking about having the S&C tattooed on ring finger of my right hand as a “virtual” ring.

What do you think?

Also, as to which way the compass points, I’ll have to get some feedback from my future lodge brothers.

Signature 

Petitoned Valley Lodge #90 (Berwick N.S. Canada) April 14, 2012
Interview Committee May 28, 2012
Voted On June 13, 2012
EA Sept 12, 2012
FC Oct 10, 2012
MM Nov 20, 2012

Posted: 13 August 2012 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-20
PeterfromNovaScotia - 13 August 2012 02:19 PM

Saying that, I plan on getting a ring after I become a MM, but I’m also toying around with another idea. In my work environment, a person isn’t allowed to wear any rings, bracelets, necklaces etc… in case they get caught in any moving parts. So I’ve been thinking about having the S&C tattooed on ring finger of my right hand as a “virtual” ring.

What do you think?

Also, as to which way the compass points, I’ll have to get some feedback from my future lodge brothers.

I would strongly advise against the tattooed ring finger idea. The sentiment is great, but you might want to travel to a country where Freemasonry is illegal some day. That would be a challenge. You can always put a ring in your pocket.

Signature 

John Ruggiero

Posted: 13 August 2012 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-08-12
windrider - 13 August 2012 03:44 PM
PeterfromNovaScotia - 13 August 2012 02:19 PM

What do you think?

I would strongly advise against the tattooed ring finger idea. The sentiment is great, but you might want to travel to a country where Freemasonry is illegal some day. That would be a challenge. You can always put a ring in your pocket.

Not to go against the prior comment, but to add voice to the opposing argument…

You could always cover up a tattoo with makeup or wear a ring over the tattoo.

1 of 2

‹‹ GO PATS!!!!      masonic merchandise ››

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.6470 seconds.