Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Morals and Dogma
Posted: 08 September 2008 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-09-08

I’m 25 years old and live in the Nashville area.  I have always been fascinated with freemasonry.  When I was in high school and early in my college days, I spent hours reading the conspiracy theories and eventually closed the book on freemasonry due to my deep Christian beliefs (since the info on the internet usually associates freemasonry with anti christian doctrine). 

I have recently begun to find myself interested yet again.  This time around I have been less irresponsible in my studies, researching a few of the source documents and ignoring the creative works of the uninformed.  I skimmed through both Morals and Dogma and Duncan’s Ritual of Freemasonry.  In the beginning I was almost ready to request membership finding much of what I read very enticing.  The thing is, as I began to read further and deeper I found several items that don’t sit well with me. 

Which leads me to the core of this post.  Obviously it isn’t written anywhere that freemasonry is anti Christian or Luciferian, but many of the items of study seem to parallel Aleister Crowley’s writings in his famous 777 among other left-handed patrons and I can’t help but see a parallel b/w the 18th degree and the order of the golden dawn. It seems like the areas of “knowledge” center around all of the pagan studies.  It’s like the 32 SR degrees are an indepth study of everything religious outside of Christianity.  Alchemy, Quabala, Astrology, etc… 

I guess I’m just concerned.  I have a real fascination with all of the areas of “knowledge” I just mentioned.  And I really want to believe they don’t stand in contrast with my Biblical beliefs, however each of the areas of study are also the items left handed religions study and many of the symbols used are the same symbols they use.  I guess the question I have is simply… why?  If the organization really has no lefthanded doctrine why does it all seem to point to the same place?  How can I, as strong Christian with a highly cognitive spirituality, commit myself to an organization that is said to be evil, doesn’t publicly deny such charges, and after an indepth study find the areas of “knowledge” to parallel that of the doctrine of many of the left-handed religions. 

I guess I’m just looking for some clarification.  I really am intrigued by the idea of freemasonry.  I even find myself intrigued by the ancient studies that tend to stand in contrast to my beliefs.  I guess that kinda scares me. I don’t know any freemasons to talk it through with and as of now I have decided to yet again shut the book on freemasonry.  I guess I would just love to have a bit of informed clarification before I do so.

Thanks for having an open mind.

ciao,

Nashville Chris

Posted: 08 September 2008 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  788
Joined  2007-03-18

Hi Chris. A quick look at all the questions and answers on this site should dispel any fears.
Suffice to Say it is not anti Christian in any way. Period.
GO to a lodge. Meet the men. You’ll see.

Bob in Boston.

Signature 

Bob Heruska
Past Master
Columbian Lodge
Boston, MA

Member of the York Rite, Scottish Rite, and the Mystic Shrine.

Posted: 08 September 2008 10:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2008-04-07

Chris, you need to understand that there is no such thing as a central “Book of Masonic Dogma” that teaches the central message or tenets of Freemasonry.  Pike’s Morals and Dogma, even though published under the auspices of the Supreme Council of the Scottish Rite, was his thoughts and interpretations alone and did not (and does not) necessary represent the “official” position of Scottish Rite masonry.  In fact, if you read the preface it states clearly “Every one is entirely free to reject and dissent from whatsoever herein may seem to him to be untrue or unsound.”

That being said, you should also realize that if you join a local Blue Lodge, you are not joining the Scottish Rite.  Some Masons believe the avenue to “further Light” after obtaining the Master Mason degree is by way of the Scottish Rite and its additional 29 degrees.  Other take the route of the York Rite with its Royal Arch and Cryptic degrees, and the Knight Templar Orders. But these additional degrees and orders, if rightly understood, serve one purpose: to further amplify and shed light on that which you were introduced to in the Blue Lodge.  And plenty of Master Masons, through their own self study and diligence, come to just as full an understanding of the symbolic and esoteric “mysteries” of the Blue Lodge as others do by membership in the Scottish and/or York Rites.

Therefore, if something in Pike’s Morals and Dogma bothers you, then dismiss it. You can join a Blue Lodge and take your own journey to “further Light” without ever having to read a word written by Pike or joining the Scottish Rite.  It’s your journey, and only you can determine what is the correct path for you. But it all starts by joining a local Lodge and becoming a Master Mason.

Signature 

My Masonic blog: http://manthaneinchronicles.blogspot.com/

Posted: 09 September 2008 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2080
Joined  2008-01-21

I am from Bowling Green KY and I appreciate your interest in Freemasonry. There is a huge amount information available, some of it contradictory. I can assure you, as a 32d degree Scottish Rite Freemason, there is nothing in Freemasonry that is inimical to the Christian religion.

There are 29 (twenty-nine) operative degrees in the Scottish Rite. These degrees teach certain moral lessons: Fidelity, Bravery, Rectitude of conduct,etc. I have performed in two of the degrees, and witnessed the performance of the Scottish Rite degrees many times. (I have been a Scottish Rite Mason since 1988)

You can participate in Freemasonry, when you petition a Craft Lodge. The Master Mason degree is the “Black Belt” of Freemasonry, there is no higher degree. The Scottish Rite, and the York Rite go on to amplify the Craft lodge instructions, and increase the individual mason’s knowledge of the Arts and Sciences of Freemasonry.  The Council of Cryptic Masons, and the Commandery of Knights Templar Masons, emphasize the Christian aspects of Freemasonry.

I can assure you, that there is nothing “Satanic” or “Pagan” in Freemasonry. Freemasonry is a non-denominational, non-sectarian, inter-faith organization, which accepts men of many different religious backgrounds and different faiths. Furthermore, Masonry has a tradition of not responding to critics, and “turning the other cheek”, and permitting individuals opposed to Freemasonry to be blissful in their ignorance.

I encourage you to visit the following website:

http://www.masonicinfo.com

There is huge amount of information there, “warts and all”, and you will find it enlightening.

I encourage you to keep an open mind-and approach the study of Freemasonry, seriously and with reflection.  You will not be asked to join, but if you determine that Freemasonry is right for you- Then I encourage you to seek out a lodge, and submit a petition. We will be more than glad to connect you with the Grand Lodge of Tennessee, and connect you with a lodge.

Also- Feel free to PM me directly, with any questions.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 17 September 2008 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2008-07-29

Chris, here is some more food for thought. I am a college Mason out in Western Mass. I absolutely enjoy the Craft. Prior to joining I did visit some of those websites that have made sensationalistic claims against Freemasonry. Here is what I have come to figure out.

1) Every great conspiracy needs a really good story. We are such a unique fraternity that it is not hard to make one up.

2) Every great story needs facts. Freemasonry is such a symbolic organization that it is very easy to create fact within our symbols and history.

3) Every great fraternity has its fair share of controversial members (ie: Albert Pike).

The moral of this is that Freemasonry is a unique and special fraternity, but it is also at times misunderstood. The questions you have posted are great ones and I highly encourage you to post more. If there is one thing I enjoy more than anything, as a Mason and a scholar, it is the free exchange of thought, ideas and knowledge. I hope you continue to stay active on this board and I hope you consider Freemasonry.

Sincerely,

Jacob Descheneaux

Signature 

Jacob Descheneaux
Newburyport, MA

Posted: 20 February 2009 02:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-02-20

I agree with some of you said chris,
For me really i’m confused i spent today about 10 hours reading online about masons and for me i’m really confused, but i’m sure they are good.
You know why?,
Because if you go to any of their certified websites you will know, don’t read anti-masonic at all they try to make it look like a war.

Posted: 04 March 2009 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2009-03-04
nashvillechris - 08 September 2008 07:47 PM

I’m 25 years old and live in the Nashville area.  I have always been fascinated with freemasonry.  When I was in high school and early in my college days, I spent hours reading the conspiracy theories and eventually closed the book on freemasonry due to my deep Christian beliefs (since the info on the internet usually associates freemasonry with anti christian doctrine). 

I have recently begun to find myself interested yet again.  This time around I have been less irresponsible in my studies, researching a few of the source documents and ignoring the creative works of the uninformed.  I skimmed through both Morals and Dogma and Duncan’s Ritual of Freemasonry.  In the beginning I was almost ready to request membership finding much of what I read very enticing.  The thing is, as I began to read further and deeper I found several items that don’t sit well with me. 

Which leads me to the core of this post.  Obviously it isn’t written anywhere that freemasonry is anti Christian or Luciferian, but many of the items of study seem to parallel Aleister Crowley’s writings in his famous 777 among other left-handed patrons and I can’t help but see a parallel b/w the 18th degree and the order of the golden dawn. It seems like the areas of “knowledge” center around all of the pagan studies.  It’s like the 32 SR degrees are an indepth study of everything religious outside of Christianity.  Alchemy, Quabala, Astrology, etc… 

I guess I’m just concerned.  I have a real fascination with all of the areas of “knowledge” I just mentioned.  And I really want to believe they don’t stand in contrast with my Biblical beliefs, however each of the areas of study are also the items left handed religions study and many of the symbols used are the same symbols they use.  I guess the question I have is simply… why?  If the organization really has no lefthanded doctrine why does it all seem to point to the same place?  How can I, as strong Christian with a highly cognitive spirituality, commit myself to an organization that is said to be evil, doesn’t publicly deny such charges, and after an indepth study find the areas of “knowledge” to parallel that of the doctrine of many of the left-handed religions. 

I guess I’m just looking for some clarification.  I really am intrigued by the idea of freemasonry.  I even find myself intrigued by the ancient studies that tend to stand in contrast to my beliefs.  I guess that kinda scares me. I don’t know any freemasons to talk it through with and as of now I have decided to yet again shut the book on freemasonry.  I guess I would just love to have a bit of informed clarification before I do so.

Thanks for having an open mind.

ciao,

Nashville Chris

I was just like you. It took me 5 yrs of studying befor I seen this site..a brother said something in a post that really opened my eyes, its not a word for word qute but it went something like this.” If you are going over your finances would u let people on your street come watch.” which led me to know every thing anti masons say are false in fact I now go to the sights to have a giggle. Ask your self this how would one really know unless they where a brother? So when people say this or that, simply ask how do you know?
P.s. if and when u ask.1.2.b.1 ull soon see what I have seen…and have a lil giggle about how fare people go to smear masons

Posted: 05 March 2009 03:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2009-02-20

thanks for what you write, for me its really hard im MUSLIM do i hsve problem bigger than you,i’m arabic too and wish to find any arabic to help because im still improving my language which is not easy, even i look for any arabic freemason website there was nothing???!!  i afraid to talk about this even with my closest friends, so I don’t know what to do really!!!
I have contact the lodge in my area since a long time and still waiting their respond, i think they need long time to give you an answer??!!.

Posted: 05 March 2009 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  284
Joined  2007-09-27

Ahmad-

I would encourage you to try contacting the lodge near you again. It is probably helpful to understand that the Masons who run local lodges voluntarily associate themselves with the fraternity. They have jobs, families, and other responsibilities and commitments which come before Freemasonry. A second or even a third contact demonstrates your genuine interest. Good luck.
-Robert

Signature 

Forum Administrator
Communications & Development Director
Grand Lodge of Massachusetts A.F. & A.M.
http://www.MassFreemasonry.org
http://www.AskaFreemason.org
“Is There Greatness in you?”

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4924 seconds.