Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Where do I begin?
Posted: 16 July 2008 12:16 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-07-16

The title says it all, Where do I begin?  My name is Tyler, I live in Cincinnati, Ohio.  Most of my deceased family were all Freemasons, and now I have an interest in joining the ranks as well.  I was going through some of my grandfathers old belongings and came upon a symbol.  I researched and ask my parents what it meant, they were reluctant in mentioning anything about symbol so of course I kept digging and discovered it was of course the masonic symbol.  I don’t know much, but would love to learn more, and hopefully become a member.  Any information or at least a point in the right direction would be highly appreciated.
-Tyler

Posted: 16 July 2008 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  273
Joined  2008-01-08

Dear Visitor: It is wonderful to be the one to start the reseach on a family legacy. Congratulations! Now, you might learn more on these pages in the FAQ section or go to The Grand Lodge of Ohio, 634 High St., (PO Box 629,) Worthington OH 43085-0629)  http://www.freemason.com/  614-885-5318 , where more direction and info is available for you.  Ronald Doucette- Moderator

Posted: 05 June 2009 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2009-06-05

sir’s as a newly raised MM (less than a year) I have ben barraged by requests to advance through York/Scottish/shriners.however my father is a scottish rite 32 deg.and i was more interested in York rite. Instead I have decided to wait and take full advantige of the teaching’s of the blue lodge first and have ben asked to progress through the chair’s and am currently jr. decon and will be asked to be jr. warden (due to illness of bro. lined for that pos.)next year.I have ben working on degree work for all positions durring our school for work and proficiency’s. but I feel a little over whelmed.do you have a sugestion on reading material or a web site that will help or personal sugestions to help. When I do a office or degree work I am trying to bring perfection to replace the complacency of the “old guard"and like to see work done properly and in historical form to preserve the history of the craft and bring pride back. as we have 9 new EA’s this is becoming an important issue with me hopeing to improve their masonic experiance. I am also working on some of the lecture’s in the degree work but those are a bear and will require some time befor I am willing to fill in for those but am still working as some of the bro’s that have that responsability are getting into their late 70’s and up we will need back-up’s soon due to health reasons( i have almost 1/4 of the stair lecture memorised) I thank you in advance for your help     Bro.Jerry

Signature 

Bro. Jerry
Rifle,Co. #129

Posted: 05 June 2009 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  783
Joined  2007-03-18

Brother Jerry

Thanks for your thoughtful questions.

As you know, this Site is designed to answer questions of non Masons wanting to become Masons. At the same time, your questions bring up an important point for anyone wanting to enter the Fraternity. This is a volunteer organization. As a new member, your only obligation is to act like a Mason. You don’t have to get in the officer’s line, you don’t have to join any of the appendant bodies. You don’t even have to show up for Lodge.

One thing you do have to do, however, is be prepared to keep commitments you DO make within the Fraternity. If you say you will be on an investigating committee, do the work required. If you tell a brother you will be at the blood drive, be there. That’s what the fraternity is all about – keeping the commitments you do make with your brothers. That’s what being a brother means.

And that’s why it’s good not to make too many commitments. Accepting the responsibility to be in the officer’s line is a big one and should not be taken lightly. Because your brothers are depending on you to be there.

I am a member of many appendant Lodges, including Scottish and York Rites and the Shrine. But I went in only when I had time. But most of my efforts have been in the Blue Lodge as a Master and a Past Master. I applaud your efforts to get in line and get as much as you can from your Blue Lodge – and to try to give your new candidates a great experience.

At the same time, we all have other commitments and real jobs and families. Trying to make it all work can sometimes be difficult. Just remember your brothers are there to help you. Past Masters can help – and most are willing if you ask them.

There’s not a good “book” on learning ritual that I know of. One thing I do know. Trying to wait until the last minute to learn ritual is virtually impossible. As a great philosopher once said: “Repetition is the mother of learning.” Take it slowly, but do it every day. A little at a time. Don’t get discouraged. Just keep repeating it until it becomes second nature. And it will.

But always remember: you want to do well, but if you don’t, no one will hold it against you. One of our most loved Masters stumbled his way through almost every lecture. But he tried, and that’s what counts. Relax. We’re all in it together.

And for those of you reading this who are not yet Masons, all of this is good to know.

Bob Heruska
Boston, MA

Signature 

Bob Heruska
Past Master
Columbian Lodge
Boston, MA

Member of the York Rite, Scottish Rite, and the Mystic Shrine.

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3260 seconds.