Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

3 of 3
Why the EA and FC should not wear a Masonic ring.
Posted: 27 September 2016 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2016-09-15

The way it was explained to me, and I have there since found this to be true, is that as an EA or FC, you do not yet know enough about freemasonry to discuss it. There are a lot of things you learn in your third degree, and without knowledge of these things, it is difficult to know what is right and what is wrong masonically. Its like playing a game and not knowing the rules, you have to learn the rules first.

Posted: 18 March 2017 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2014-08-22
Dan-O - 14 July 2011 09:43 AM

What I’d like to know is why any man would want to spend money on EA or FC jewelry so that they have something specific that they can wear for the next month or two until they can wear MM emblems.  That simply doesn’t make sense. 

Why would you spend good money on what basically amounts to a pledge pin?  You won’t wear it after your MM degree.  It just seems impatient to want to purchase and wear something like this for merely a month or two.

When I see a man wearing a Masonic ring in public, I don’t want to scrutinize it to figure out whether he is a Master Mason or not. 

I’ll always recommend that men wait until they are a Master Mason before wearing the square and compasses as a symbol of their membership.

Same here….totally agree.

Signature 

St. Matthews Lodge 906, Louisville,Kentucky.
Suburban Lodge 740, Louisville,Kentucky
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
Knights of St. Andrew, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter # 5, Royal Arch Masons
Louisville Council # 4, Royal and Select Masters
Louisville-DeMolay Commandery #12, Knights Templar

Posted: 18 April 2017 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2009-02-26

This is an interesting question that comes up now and again.
Let me preface my comment with the fact that I am a Freemason under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Canada in the Province of Ontario.
In Ontario once you are imitated you are a Mason with the full privileges of a Mason save a few specific to the degrees.
All EAs, FCs, and MMs are entitled to visit (to there degree and below)
All EAs, FCs, and MMs are entitled to a Masonic funeral.
All EAs, FCs, and MMs are entitled to vote on business (in fact voting is not an option all present must vote).
The S&C in the form seen on 99.9% of all rings is a symbol of a MM but it is also a symbol for the Craft as a whole.

So there is no reason (in Ontario anyway) why an EA can not wear a Masonic ring.
One of my sponsors gave me my first one after my initiation and he has been around the block a few times
My 2¢.

Signature 

Valley Lodge #100 G.R.C.
Dundas Ontario Canada

Posted: 20 April 2017 05:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2013-03-20
Barney_Rubble - 18 April 2017 12:27 PM

Let me preface my comment with the fact that I am a Freemason under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Canada in the Province of Ontario.
In Ontario once you are imitated you are a Mason with the full privileges of a Mason save a few specific to the degrees.
All EAs, FCs, and MMs are entitled to vote on business (in fact voting is not an option all present must vote).
The S&C in the form seen on 99.9% of all rings is a symbol of a MM but it is also a symbol for the Craft as a whole.

So there is no reason (in Ontario anyway) why an EA can not wear a Masonic ring.
One of my sponsors gave me my first one after my initiation and he has been around the block a few times
My 2¢.

There are actually no rules in most jurisdictions regarding Masonic jewelry. I advise new brothers not to wear a ring until they are raised because they will be displaying a symbol which will identify them as a Master Mason when their degrees are not completed. Brother Master Masons may ask questions they cannot answer and they are representing the Craft when not fully prepared to.

Signature 

John Ruggiero
Master, Ancient York Lodge AF&AM;, Lowell, MA, USA

“God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much.” - Mother Teresa

Posted: 20 April 2017 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2009-02-26
BrotherJohn - 20 April 2017 05:46 AM
Barney_Rubble - 18 April 2017 12:27 PM

My 2¢.

There are actually no rules in most jurisdictions regarding Masonic jewelry. I advise new brothers not to wear a ring until they are raised because they will be displaying a symbol which will identify them as a Master Mason when their degrees are not completed. Brother Master Masons may ask questions they cannot answer and they are representing the Craft when not fully prepared to.

The fact that most jurisdictions do not have regulations around who can wear a Masonic ring was my point really.
When this same question comes up on other forums I always ask, “Is there a regulation in your constitution that states EAs and FCs can not wear S&C rings?”
The answer so far has always been “No” or “I don’t know”. It appears that this restriction is more of a custom than it is a regulation.
A S&C ring does not identify one as a MM nor does the S&C in general. If it did the DDGM in my Juristiction would not give out S&C lapel pins to newly initiates EAs with the S&C in the “standard” configuration.

Somewhere it is stated (I won’t say where) that “the S&C are the well know symbols of Masonry” not of a MM

Signature 

Valley Lodge #100 G.R.C.
Dundas Ontario Canada

Posted: 21 April 2017 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  275
Joined  2013-04-04
ChapterFour - 27 September 2016 09:46 PM

The way it was explained to me, and I have there since found this to be true, is that as an EA or FC, you do not yet know enough about freemasonry to discuss it. There are a lot of things you learn in your third degree, and without knowledge of these things, it is difficult to know what is right and what is wrong masonically. Its like playing a game and not knowing the rules, you have to learn the rules first.

This is a great response. EA and FC Masons do not yet possess the knowledge they need to discuss the subject with anyone outside of their lodge.  It is difficult to discuss any subject without all the required information.  Leave the wearing of rings and pins to MM’s.

Signature 

Bro.Ed Pickett Jr.
Worshipful Master 2017
La Belle Vallee Lodge No 232 F&AM;
Jersey Shore, Pa.
Initiated 1-14-13, Passed 2-11-13, Raised 3-11-13

Master of First Veil 2017
Lafayette RAC No. 163
Lock Haven, Pa.
Mark Master 1-16-14,Most Excellent Master 2-20-14, Royal Arch Mason 3-20-14

Posted: 21 April 2017 10:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2009-02-26
Morelight - 21 April 2017 02:31 PM

This is a great response. EA and FC Masons do not yet possess the knowledge they need to discuss the subject with anyone outside of their lodge.  It is difficult to discuss any subject without all the required information.  Leave the wearing of rings and pins to MM’s.

That is an over genralization to say the least.
I know some EAs that are more knowledgeable on the parts they have experienced than some MMS.
This maybe because in my lodge, in particular, candidates take anywhere from 6 months to a year to advance betweeen degrees - even though the minimum time is 28 days. Individuals are encouraged to have a deep understand of the degree before they advance through their own personal study and direction from their mentor.

So in my lodge in particular I have no issue with EAs and FCs wearing riings and pins once they have had some training and given direction on what topics they should be able to discuss.

Signature 

Valley Lodge #100 G.R.C.
Dundas Ontario Canada

Posted: 21 April 2017 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  498
Joined  2012-01-30

Maybe it’s because we focus so much on the words and not the meaning that trinkets have become to valuable.

Signature 

DeWayne
Kensington-Bethesda Lodge No. 198 - Senior Warden
RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF

I’m living in the DC area now.

There is no Gospel According to St. Youtube.

Posted: 03 May 2017 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2014-08-22
Morelight - 21 April 2017 02:31 PM

Agreed!

Signature 

Posted: 03 May 2017 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2014-08-22
goomba - 21 April 2017 11:16 PM

Maybe it’s because we focus so much on the words and not the meaning that trinkets have become to valuable.

Unfortunately, this could be true.

Signature 

3 of 3

‹‹ Information      Where do I begin? ››

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.5117 seconds.