Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

2 of 3
Why the EA and FC should not wear a Masonic ring.
Posted: 14 July 2011 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4058
Joined  2007-09-27

What I’d like to know is why any man would want to spend money on EA or FC jewelry so that they have something specific that they can wear for the next month or two until they can wear MM emblems.  That simply doesn’t make sense. 

Why would you spend good money on what basically amounts to a pledge pin?  You won’t wear it after your MM degree.  It just seems impatient to want to purchase and wear something like this for merely a month or two.

When I see a man wearing a Masonic ring in public, I don’t want to scrutinize it to figure out whether he is a Master Mason or not. 

I’ll always recommend that men wait until they are a Master Mason before wearing the square and compasses as a symbol of their membership.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 14 July 2011 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2011-04-04

Eag 58 made a good point. In some parts of the world it takes years to rise up the ranks to Master Mason, so there is a demand for things like FC and EA paraphernalia . We in the US go through the degrees comparatively quickly so there is less of a demand for EA and FC rings and such. Iv’e seen FC rings before, but I’ve not seen any EA rings, but I see no reason why a Brother cannot wear symbols representative of his degree. Most Masonic rings are Master Mason rings and I don’t think you should wear one until you have become a Master Mason. C’mon, it’s usually only a few months between Ea and MM and if you can’t wait that long to wear a ring then you have not grasped one of the most basic (and important) lessons of Masonry - to “wait a time with patience”.

Posted: 14 July 2011 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4058
Joined  2007-09-27

I would suspect that FC rings would be more common, especially in the antique market.  There was a time when the fraternity was comprised primarily of FCs.  In those days, you were required to be at least an FC before you could be a Warden or Master.  There weren’t too many Master Masons at the time, so if one wanted to wear a ring, it would most likely be an FC ring.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 14 July 2011 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  109
Joined  2011-04-03

Without spoiling anything, the symbol of a Master Mason is slightly different than those of the Entered Apprentice or Fellowcraft. An EA or FC wearing the symbol of their degree shouldn’t be an issue, so long as it’s the right symbol.

That said, in CA, neither the EA nor FC is considered a full member; only the Master Mason. To say an EA or FC is a “Mason” would not be entirely correct.

Posted: 14 July 2011 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  677
Joined  2009-11-18

Jr K, your profile does not show any lodge. If you are not yet a Mason, I can see why you would ask the question that you did. If you are a Mason, you know that there are three ways in which the square and compasses can be displayed: with both legs of the compasses under the square, with one over and one under, and with both legs over the square. The last of these pertains to the MM degree and to Master Masons and Master Mason lodges. It is rare to see the S&C shown otherwise, although not unheard of—I have seen an 18th century tombstone showing the S&C with one leg of the compasses over the square and the other under.

The manufacturers of masonic jewelry, regalia, signage, etc., invariably show the S&C with the compasses on top, so any item you purchase will show that. If you are not a Master Mason, you are not entitled to wear or display such an item. This is not a big deal, mostly just a matter of proper etiquette; you can’t be sued or disciplined for it. But this is the reason why the advice is generally given to postpone the wearing of Masonic jewelry or using decals or tags with the S&C until after you have been raised a Master Mason.

The only other common masonic symbol used in jewelry etc. is the one which looks like a golf club with two balls. This definitely refers to the Master Mason degree and denotes a Master Mason. I don’t believe anyone makes jewelry with symbols referring to the EA or FC degrees, or with the S&C in either of the other two positions, probably because there’s no market for them. In the US, no one stays an EA or FC very long.

Signature 

Liberty Pickering Lodge #219, Baltimore MD
Druid RA Chapter #28, Baltimore
Hiram Council #5 R&SM;, Baltimore
Monumental Commandery #3, Baltimore
Harrisburg Consistory AASR, Harrisburg, PA

Posted: 18 July 2011 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2011-06-15

Theres a big difference from an EA, FC and MM’s ring symbolically. The candidate is a mason, yes. But he is still not enlightened with all the secrets of a master mason..

The “whc cm u” sticker, for example, is tackled down on your 1st degree so technically you can display that on your vehicles immediately.

Again, symbolism is the reason why EA’s cannot use MM’s emblems… If an EA displays an emblem on his car, goes to a gas station to refuel and a MM happens to be there and sess the emblem and starts asking questions that the EA cannot obviously answer, who will look bad? The candidate? The candidate’s lodge? Or both?

Just my two cents, brothers.

Posted: 19 July 2011 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-07-19

First off I am new here so I want extend fraternal greetings to all. I am currently an FC and for me I don’t want a ring or anything yet. It will all have to wait until I am raised. One reason I believe that EAs and FCs should wait is not a problem with other Masons, but with non-Masons. A Brother Mason will know what the different S&C will mean but a non-Mason will not. It isn’t until after becoming a MM will you be able to answer questions that may be posed to you. If someone off the street sees a ring bearing the S&C they may start asking questions and until you have been raised you are not equipped to answer some of those questions. Besides like everyone else has stated it’s only a few months before you are in that position. I was given a lapel pin when I was passed to FC and it shows the S&C in MM configuration and because of that it is stored safely away in the jewelry box until I am raised.

Signature 

Brent Heilman

Initiated - 3/10/2011
Passed - 7/30/2011
Raised - 8/18/2011

Posted: 23 September 2011 04:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2011-06-15

Your proficiency, in full form, will answer this question.

Posted: 22 October 2011 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2011-10-20

My opinion on the matter:

I think it is quite interesting, for some to debate the significance of wearing the Masonic jewels. It is a very good topic, I believe that this simple rule is put into place for many reason’s, here are a couple from my point of view.

1. It would be offensive for an EA or FC to wear a ring that has not been earned, it feels better to wear something that was rightfully earned, being able to meet other MM’s, being in good company, than to meet one and be frowned upon for not following the rules.

2. When following the rules, it gives the EA or FC, the initiative to be a better person, an earn the right to wear the jewels. I cannot ever see myself wearing the jewels and be tried by a honest, loyal brother, then have him turn his back on me. Because, I was not, who I put myself out there to be. I believe I would regret it for the rest of my life within.

3. The reason that there isnt any EA or FC jewels available is to limit the new comers from boasting who they are, meeting someone that is not rightfully a Mason and him or them obtaining any of the secrets of Free mason’s unlawfully through your unworthiness.

The rules have been layed down for many many years, they have been well kept, even from the internet witch I have found is 90% wrong and what is right, is dificult to distinguish unless you are a true mason. Even then, you will only be able to destinguish what is right, or wrong within the degree that you have rightfully obtained.

There wouldnt be such a wonderful fraternity to be apart of if you could do, or wear whatever you wanted when you wanted, because you felt like it. Being a mason, it is truthfully the one upright step you could take in your life, that can make any Good man a Better one. “The more you put in it, the more you get out of it”.

Scincerely,

Brother Morosky

Signature 

John T. Morosky III
Mosspoint, MS.
Blue Lodge #202
EA-Last week of June 2011

Posted: 22 October 2011 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2011-03-19

Well said Brother, well said.

Signature 

Christian Salazar
Progress Lodge #22 F&AM;, Salt Lake City, Utah
EA 7/19/11
FC 8/29/11
MM 10/10/11

Posted: 22 October 2011 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2011-09-17

I agree with Bro. John. I totally agree that the masonic ring is something to earn. Almost like a badge. It should be seen as something that every Mason should work for. It gives us more of a reason to wear it with pride and honor and I look forward to the day I put one on and wear it for the rest of my life.

Signature 

Bro. Alex McCready, Junior Deacon
Tecumseh Lodge #144 A.F.& A.M.Stratford, Ontario
Entered Apprentice, April 27th, 2011
Fellowcraft, February 22nd, 2012
Master Mason, March 25th, 2012

Royal Arch MasonTecumseh Chapter #24

Posted: 22 October 2011 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2011-03-17

I agree with John also, but remember , my Brothers, our actions speak louder than words.
Any Master Mason can wear a ring; I have my Father’s, Grandfather’s, and Great Grandfather’s!!
I personally do not wear one in public, I wear it only for special occasions. Other Masons
know who we are; remember, it comes from with-in, not with-out.

Signature 

Jay Mathis
Past Master
Tuckerton Lodge # 4 F&AM;
Tuckerton, NJ

Posted: 23 October 2011 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2011-08-25
Jay Mathis - 22 October 2011 08:47 PM

I agree with John also, but remember , my Brothers, our actions speak louder than words.
Any Master Mason can wear a ring; I have my Father’s, Grandfather’s, and Great Grandfather’s!!
I personally do not wear one in public, I wear it only for special occasions. Other Masons
know who we are; remember, it comes from with-in, not with-out.

I have a question about this.  Wouldn’t it be a positive thing for the Master Masons to outwardly display their symbols such as wearing a ring or other car stickers?  Perhaps some of the info I have read in the past is wrong, but from what I have read it would seem that membership in the fraternity is declining. 

I originally saw the S&C many years ago on a book my parents had (no to my knowledge my dad was never a mason, but perhaps another generation was)  Then I saw the symbols on cars as I got older, which sparked my interest to find out what they were.  This is basically how I found out about masonry.  Had I not saw those symbols and became curious I may not be at the point I am today.

So I suppose I’m asking for your opinion.  Wouldn’t it be a good thing to wear which just might bring other people towards the fraternity?

Signature 

Passed:  02/02/12
Raised: 02/18/12
Medina Lodge #58
Grand Lodge of Ohio
32° AASR, Valley of Cleveland

Posted: 23 October 2011 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2011-03-17

Let me expand a little on my post. I am very much in favor of advertising who we are and what we do. I wear a a baseball cap with the S&C, a coat, tee shirts, golf shirts, and jewelry all displaying my masonic affiliation; and am extremely proud to wear it. Like any organization, masonry has it’s players and non-players. Men that make things happen and men that watch things happen. Both types are good men or they would have not been allowed to join our great fraternity. What I was referring to in my last post is we need more men to show the world how good we can be through our actions, not by just being a card carrying member and ring wearer.

Signature 

Jay Mathis
Past Master
Tuckerton Lodge # 4 F&AM;
Tuckerton, NJ

Posted: 23 October 2011 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2007-10-29

Perhaps another and I think best reason for not wearing the S&C till you are a MM. What if the candidate does not finish the 3 degrees.

Signature 

EA: 3/14/11
FC: 4/11/11
MM: 5/23/11

2 of 3

‹‹ Information      Where do I begin? ››

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.6481 seconds.