1 of 2
Information
Posted: 07 July 2008 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-07-07

Hello,

Firstly hello to all admin, members & readers - and thank you for maintaining this forum which is helping me get information about Freemasonry.

There are many questions on my mind and your clarifications are most appreciated.

Firstly, while reading the replies in other threads, I read a reply by a moderator to a question of a religious aspect, and in it mentioned how membership was restricted to Christians up to a certain year until when it was decided, in England, to allow non-Christians in, and considered it as: “they met… and started on the same square”... something like that.
I apologize for destroying the line, but I do not recall it to exactitude, and can no longer find that post since I browsed many threads. If someone could kindly write that bit again about how membership became open to non-Christians and the line since I found it so simple yet deep in meaning.

On another note, I am curious to know if there was another online forum prior to this one since the oldest post is dated in 2007 - if there has not been one, I would like to know why this recent online forum establishing, etc.

Thanking you.
Sincerely,

Posted: 08 July 2008 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2080
Joined  2008-01-21

I would like to help you learn more about Freemasonry. Membership is restricted to men who believe in God. Only an avowed atheist, cannot petition the Craft. Your personal religious beliefs and practices, are a matter of extreme privacy. You need not believe in Jesus of Nazareth to petition Freemasonry.

Membership is open to Jewish men, Muslim Men, Hindu Men, Buddhist Men, Unitarians, etc. Masonry is non-sectarian.

If you choose to petition Freemasonry, you are welcome to get more information here, or at your local lodge. Just let us know.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 08 July 2008 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2008-07-07

Thank you for your reply and courtesy in your offer.

Yes, in reading one of the threads about a belief in a superior being, there was a mention that it used to be ‘Christian exclusive’, until it was changed in England; the rationale given was a one liner: “... they met, and parted on the same square”. the line isn’t complete/accurate hence my inquiry of the correct line.

I am a Christian Catholic; the reason for my inquiry is simply because I found a lot of wisdom in that line, and wished to read it again, and could not find the post as I had been going through all the threads. :) So if possible to re-write it, thank you.

In my preliminary learning process about Freemasonry to evaluate the possibility, I am trying to envision through the information about it’s historical development, coupled with the historical contexts of the times of each historical data I read respectively, the kind of a fraternity that it is, it’s direction, and current status.

Hence my interest into if there were online forum for the lodge prior to 2007 and the triggers of the evolution if not.

Thank you,

Posted: 11 July 2008 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2008-07-07

Perhaps my questions above are inappropriate - if so, I apologize.

In a conversation with a friend last night about the subject, he found difficulty with the concept of “believe in a superior being” or “God”. A question rose out of the discussion:

If one believes that this whole universe is the superior being; could that allow him in all good faith to say: yes, I do believe in a superior being, and therefore apply for membership?

Thank you,

Posted: 11 July 2008 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-21

NO question is inappropriate. The purpose of this discussion board is to assist individuals like yourself, in learning more about Freemasonry. In order to petition Freemasonry, the individual applicant must profess belief in the Supreme Being. How a man believes, and his individual religious practices, are left to the individual. The applicant must submit some basic paperwork to lodge of his choice.  The exact wording varies from state to state (There is no one form used nationally).  The applicant is encouraged to complete the form accurately and honestly.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

(Send me a PM)

Posted: 11 July 2008 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2008-07-07

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I assumed they were inappropriate because they remain unanswered.

Also, in my last question, given your answer, I take it we are safe to assume that his belief would be acceptable in that fashion as well.

Thanking you,

Posted: 11 July 2008 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-21

If your friend is sincerely interested in petitioning Freemasonry, I would encourage him to contact the lodge in his area of residence, and/or the Grand Lodge in his state, for a more definitive answer.

Masonry accepts men of many different faith backgrounds, how an individual worships or believes is a matter of extreme privacy. Roman Catholics are certainly welcomed to petition.

Please keep in mind that the moderators of this board are volunteers, and it may be some days before a question posted here is answered.

If you or your friend has achieved a favorable impression of Freemasonry, and either of you wish to take the process forward, please let us know, and we will assist you in locating a lodge, and submitting the required paperwork.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

(Send me a PM)

Posted: 11 July 2008 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2008-07-07

Again, thank you for your prompt reply.

God bless & protect you.

Posted: 12 August 2010 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-08-12

hello my name is shakir and im 13 i know im young but i was wondering how to become a freemason i am real devoted to can someone please help figure out how to become a freemason please and thank you

Posted: 12 August 2010 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4054
Joined  2007-09-27
shakir - 12 August 2010 01:07 AM

hello my name is shakir and im 13 i know im young but i was wondering how to become a freemason i am real devoted to can someone please help figure out how to become a freemason please and thank you

Shakir you are far too young to be a Freemason.  Masonsry is for grown men over 18 years old (in some places 21 years old).

I suggest you try the Boy Scouts.  Great organization, lots of fun, and appropriate for someone your age.

Frankly, Freemasonry would bore a 13 year old to death.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 12 August 2010 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  284
Joined  2007-09-27

DeMolay is another option. It is an organization for young men that is part of the Masonic family. The following site will help you learn more about DeMolay in Michigan, http://michigandemolay.org.

Signature 

Forum Administrator
Communications & Development Director
Grand Lodge of Massachusetts A.F. & A.M.
http://www.MassFreemasonry.org
http://www.AskaFreemason.org
“Is There Greatness in you?”

Posted: 12 August 2010 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2010-08-12

thank you when i get 18 or 21 can i still join freemason even though i was in michigan demolay?

Posted: 12 August 2010 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  284
Joined  2007-09-27

Yes. You will be able to join the Masons once you reach the age of majority even though you were a DeMolay.

Many Masons were DeMolay as teenagers. In face, in Massachusetts we have The DeMolay Lodge which comprised entirely of Masons who belonged to DeMolay.
-Robert

Signature 

Forum Administrator
Communications & Development Director
Grand Lodge of Massachusetts A.F. & A.M.
http://www.MassFreemasonry.org
http://www.AskaFreemason.org
“Is There Greatness in you?”

Posted: 12 August 2010 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2010-08-12

oh that good to know thank you very much

Posted: 12 August 2010 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  677
Joined  2009-11-18

This is a reply to Aris.

I believe what you are looking for concerning God and religion is the first principle enuntiated in the first printed constitution, printed in London in 1723. I will quote it in full:

The Constitutions of the Free-Masons
Containing the History, Charges, Regulations, etc.
Of that Most Ancient and Right Worshipful Fraternity,
For the Use of the Lodges

The Charges of a Free-Mason
To be Read
At the Making of New Brethren,
or when the MASTER shall order it.

I. Concerning God and Religion
  A Mason is oblig’d, by his Tenure, to obey the moral Law; and if he rightly understands the Art, he will never be a stupid Atheist, nor an irreligious Libertine. But though in ancient Times Masons were charg’d in every Country to be of the Religion of that Country or Nation, whatever it was, yet ‘tis now thought more expedient only to oblige them to that Religion in which all Men agree, leaving their particular Opinions to themselves; that is, to be good Men and true, or Men of Honour and Honesty, by whatever Denominations or Persuasions they may be distinguish’d; whereby Masonry becomes the Center of Union, and the Means of conciliating true Friendship among Persons that must have remain’d at a perpetual Distance.

Signature 

Liberty Pickering Lodge #219, Baltimore MD
Druid RA Chapter #28, Baltimore
Hiram Council #5 R&SM;, Baltimore
Monumental Commandery #3, Baltimore
Harrisburg Consistory AASR, Harrisburg, PA

Posted: 14 August 2010 02:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-08-14

Am a new member, so i will like to know more abt feemason and how to make money fast….........i want him to provide my money for me and i will serve him to the last breath.urgent answer.

1 of 2

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.5749 seconds.