Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Secrets
Posted: 24 June 2008 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2008-05-11

I don’t expect anyone to go into detail about this question. I’m just looking for a yes or no answer. Aside from the metaphors and handshakes that must be kept secret, are there any other types of secrets that you guys have?

Posted: 27 June 2008 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2080
Joined  2008-01-21

The best kept secret in Masonry, is that there are no secrets! Everything about Masonry, our goals and objectives are published in books, and on many excellent websites. All of our charitable work is placed out in public, and is there for all the world to see. The lessons of friendship, morality, and brotherly love, are likewise published openly, and no attempt is made to conceal of our tenents. 

Masonry inculcates into its adherents certain standards and precepts. Honesty, Virtue, and an uncompromising rectitude of Conduct, and amont these values. In the process of becoming a Mason, the individual is taught certain moral lessons and truths. Often, symbolism and allegory are employed as part of the educational process.  Other instructional tools are used, including tools of the building trades, and other more modern methods, like videos and slide projectors, are becoming popular as well.

I realize that I cannot present the entire spectrum of Masonic instruction in a short email.  I encourage you to continue your research on the internet, and by asking your questions on this forum. Remember, the best way to learn about Masonry, is to submit a petition, and then take the degrees. You will never be asked to join, the decision must be made on your own, without undue influence or persuasion. Masonry does not seek men, Men seek Masonry.

So- the answer to your question is NO- There are no secrets in Masonry.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 01 July 2008 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2008-05-11

Thanks for your answer I appreciate it. I will continue my research on masonry until I am old enough to join. Just the other night I was hopeing to walk around the seaside village of Port Jefferson (if anybody from Long Island reads this and knows where it is) with my girlfriend. I actually drove past a Masonic Lodge. It peaked my interest and I wanted to go in and ask a couple of questions but I got frustrated and left when I couldn’t find any parking after 20 minutes. Hopefully I can go back there soon because it looked really nice.

Posted: 07 July 2008 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  273
Joined  2008-01-08

Alex, per your inquiry to explore the questions further, you were invited to take a tour of the boston Grand Lodge via a previous post, welcome!  Ronald Doucette - Moderator

Posted: 02 March 2009 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-02-04

Is it true that the G in the middle of the compass and square is the center of a spiral or a symbol for the sun. And also is 9 1 1 a part of a spiral or a symbol for the sun 9 is just like the G in the masonic sybol and the the two 1’s is just the outer lines of the spiral

Posted: 02 March 2009 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  273
Joined  2008-01-08

Jason,
Thanks for your question regarding Masonic Symbols and specifically the Square & Compasses, certainly one of the most recognized symbols in the Western World.
Jason, it may be public record, and I have seen this explained in several public places, the “G” in the symbol of the Square & Compasses, refers to the Believe in a Supreme Being and the reference to the Mason of ancient times relying on the Art of Architecture: specifically Geometry. A Mason comes to regard these symbols to guide them toward the actions to help mould their lives for the better. I, too, could read these mystical allusions into many symbols, but in this case, they’re not there.
Ronald Doucette - Forum Moderator

Image Attachments
s&cgold.jpg

Posted: 02 March 2009 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2009-02-04

What about 9 1 1, Is it a symbol for a spiral. I have alot more questions, That would blow your mind away. I know Time, Money, and Religon are the main things that keep us in fear to hide us from the truth. I do believe in the one supreme being,  And has given me the chance to be one with the one. I believe I have been enlightened with the truth.

Thank you
                            The Light

Posted: 02 March 2009 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4055
Joined  2007-09-27

Could you specify where you are getting the “9” “1” and “1” from?  Perhaps then we can better help you understand any confusion about these numbers.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 03 March 2009 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2009-02-04

Connect/Continue drawing a line from the bottom of the 9 follow around the top of the nine till you connect the first 1 then go around the nine again till you get to the second 1 and so on and so forth. There you have a spiral or should I say Pi. Could go on infinite amount of times. 9 is the begining and the ending.

Thank you

Posted: 03 March 2009 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4055
Joined  2007-09-27

No offense meant here, but I think you are grasping at straws here.  You can take just about any symbol and stretch it to mean anything you want.  A smiley face has an upturned line for a mouth.  Just add an angle, and it appears to be an upside down square.  The two eyes of the smiley face can represent the two points of the compasses, and in such a manner, you can try to convince people that the smiley face is a Masonic symbol.

You are assuming that one symbol means the same thing to everyone.  “911” meant NOTHING before the telephone system used it for an emergency number, and Masonry is much older than the telephone system.

Do you understand what I’m saying?  Just because something can be manipulated to resemble another symbol in your mind, doesn’t automatically mean it is actually related.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 03 March 2009 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2009-02-04

Thanks

Posted: 04 March 2009 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-03-04
Dan Madore - 03 March 2009 11:15 AM

No offense meant here, but I think you are grasping at straws here.  You can take just about any symbol and stretch it to mean anything you want.  A smiley face has an upturned line for a mouth.  Just add an angle, and it appears to be an upside down square.  The two eyes of the smiley face can represent the two points of the compasses, and in such a manner, you can try to convince people that the smiley face is a Masonic symbol.

You are assuming that one symbol means the same thing to everyone.  “911” meant NOTHING before the telephone system used it for an emergency number, and Masonry is much older than the telephone system.

Do you understand what I’m saying?  Just because something can be manipulated to resemble another symbol in your mind, doesn’t automatically mean it is actually related.

lol now people r going to think the have a nice day t shirts r a seblimenale masonic mesage

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.5853 seconds.