Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

2 of 5
You have great morals and values. Why such weird rituals?
Posted: 09 October 2011 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4054
Joined  2007-09-27
mguiler - 09 October 2011 03:06 PM

Do the Masons have knowledge that they in part on members as they climb the degrees of the pyramid?

Yet another misunderstanding about Freemasonry is that higher number degrees have a higher rank or more knowledge.

There are 3 degrees in Freemasonry.  Entered Apprentice, Fellow Craft, and Master Mason.  It takes about 3 months to become a Master Mason in most American lodges.

Outside of Masonic lodges, there are other “appendant bodies”, or organizations that are affiliated with Masonry that require all their members to be Masons.  One of these is the Scottish Rite.  This rite has 29 additional degrees, but they are not hierarchical like the first 3.  In fact, most men nowadays witness these degrees out of order anyway.  Each one imparts a certain moral lesson and speaks to different symbols and ideas to impress an ideal upon the witness.  These degrees are shown to the members as a play on a stage.  As an example, the idea or theme of one of the degrees might be charity, so a skit or play might be performed to exemplify the idea of charity.  This is the concept behind modern Scottish Rite.  Not all Masons join Scottish Rite.  It is not required.  It is an additional group that some masons chose to join.  However, these Masons do not have a higher level of knowledge or than non-Scottish Rite Masons.

Of course I understand how very confusing all this can be for a non-Mason.  I highly recommend reading American Freemasons by Mark Tabbert or Freemasons for Dummies by Chris Hodapp to clarify all of this.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 09 October 2011 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2011-10-09

Are the Masons in any way affiliated with the illuminati?

Posted: 09 October 2011 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27

You are working under another false assumption that there IS an Illuminati and that is it somehow a relevant organization.  The truth is, the “Illuminati” of legend, popularized recently by authors like Dan Brown, WAS a real Bavarian organization founded in 1776.  That group was modeled after Freemasonry.  However, they were only in existence for about 10 years or so.  Since then, several groups have used the name and tried to start similar organizations, but they are only loosly related.  The idea that they are behind some big secret new world order…however….is just fiction.  Somehow a couple of authors write some fiction novels about a mysterious organization, they use the name of an organization that was real a few hundred years ago, and people somehow make the assumption that it is a real group.

No, we are not in any way affiliated with Illuminati.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 09 October 2011 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-10-09

Dan-  “Also, to correct another incorrect assumption of yours…Freemasonry is not a secret society.  If we were, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.  I would not be admitting I was a member, or that we even exist!”

would the illuminati be an example of a real secret society.  LOL thank you for your time I have learned a lot and appreciate you fielding questions.  I do have friends who are Masons but they can be tight lipped about taking about it.  I will, however, continue my consideration of joining your organization.

Posted: 09 October 2011 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27
mguiler - 09 October 2011 03:33 PM

Dan-  “Also, to correct another incorrect assumption of yours…Freemasonry is not a secret society.  If we were, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.  I would not be admitting I was a member, or that we even exist!”

would the illuminati be an example of a real secret society.

I guess….maybe….if they didn’t tell anyone that they existed they could be considered that.  I don’t think they were very secretive at the time, they were just relatively unknown because they were somewhat insignificant.

Today, they are ironically fictionally more significant than they ever were in real life.

mguiler - 09 October 2011 03:33 PM

LOL thank you for your time I have learned a lot and appreciate you fielding questions.  I do have friends who are Masons but they can be tight lipped about taking about it.  I will, however, continue my consideration of joining your organization.

Glad we could help.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 10 October 2011 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  788
Joined  2007-03-18

One more comment on this thread. You mentioned that you had friends that were Masons but that they were “tight lipped” about it. My guess is that they either aren’t Masons at all or you have approached them in the wrong way. Most Masons are very happy to talk about the Fraternity and more than willing to provide information and answer questions. In fact, since the only way to become a Mason is to ASK, we wouldn’t be around very long if we kept tight lipped about it.

Bob

Signature 

Bob Heruska
Past Master
Columbian Lodge
Boston, MA

Member of the York Rite, Scottish Rite, and the Mystic Shrine.

Posted: 10 October 2011 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2080
Joined  2008-01-21

(To most non-Masons) Masonry is like the ink-blot test you take in the Psychologist’s office. You see what you want to see. Masonry is a frateral organization, that has elements of other activities: Moral instruction, self-improvement, service to fellow Masons, their families, and others outside the fraternity. Some people look at this curious mix, and see all kinds of weird things. This is understandable (to a degree).

Masonry has existed for many centuries, and it has certainly existed since before widespread literacy. That is why we traditionally use symbols, signs, and oral instruction in our degree work. Some Masonic symbolism has found its way into common usage, and some non-Masonic symbolism, has found its way into Freemasonry. I have seen Masonic rings, with the “skull and crossbones” on the ring.

If you make a serious inquiry about Freemasonry, you will find that most Masons (including myself) will “talk your ears off” about this splendid organization. We make no effort to keep it secret, quite the opposite- We publish all types of books and pamphlets, and maintain many internet sites. The Grand Lodges of Maryland and Massachusetts host state-wide open houses, where all lodges in the state, are open to the public for guided tours. Trust me- Masonry is NOT a secret organization.

Please keep in mind, that the highest degree of Masonry is the Sublime Degree of Master Mason. It is the “black belt” of Masonry, there are no higher degrees. There are appendant bodies, like the Scottish Rite, and York Rite, with additional degrees, that impart various lessons, and deal with the various esoteric and historical aspects of the Fraternity. You may wish to consider the Craft degrees as “vertical” and the York/Scottish rite degrees as “horizontal”.

Keep in mind, you will never be asked to petition (apply for) Masonry. The decision must be yours alone. I encourage you to make a serious investigation, Masonry is a serious subject, and we invite serious investigation. The decision to petition Freemasonry, is a life-changing one, and should be made seriously.

I wish you every possible success.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 10 October 2011 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-10-09

I like how the Masons are now trying to make Masonry not so secretive, but don’t tell me it hasn’t been secretive.  You brag about America being founded by Masons and America being a “Masonic Experiment” and I now know that that is most likely true.  I went through high school learning what I thought was American History, but upon graduating I had never even heard of the Masons.  I did not even know they existed.  I did not learn of the Masons until I was in college and it wasn’t because it was taught about in any of my classes, It wasn’t.  I learned of them through my own research.  I had never seen or heard them talked about on TV, In movies, or on the radio.  It’s only been recently with National Treasure and the whole Dan Brown craze that the general public has caught on to Masonry, and because of how fantastical and convoluted those works of fiction are you are trying to play damage control with sites like these.  So please stop trying to act like you can’t understand why people call your organization secretive.

Posted: 10 October 2011 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27
mguiler - 10 October 2011 11:32 AM

I like how the Masons are now trying to make Masonry not so secretive, but don’t tell me it hasn’t been secretive.

Masonry is no less secretive now than it has ever been.  The advent of the internet just allows for information to be more easily obtained, so it APPEARS we are being less secretive.  If this website was around 30 years ago, we’d be giving you the same answer then.

I did not learn of the Masons until I was in college and it wasn’t because it was taught about in any of my classes, It wasn’t.  I learned of them though my own research.

Based on some of your questions here, I’d have to seriously call into question your “research”.  ;)  Seriously though, there’s a lot of misinformation out there, so I can totally understand your confusion, which is why it is good that you are asking your questions here. 

I had never seen or heard them talked about on TV, In movies, or on the radio.  It’s only been recently with National Treasure and the whole Dan Brown craze that the general public has caught on to Masonry, and because of how fantastical and convoluted those works of fiction are you are trying to play damage control with sites like these.  So please stop trying to act like you can’t understand why people call your organization secretive.

Damage control?  Hardly.  Those fantastical stories have actually spurred an interest in Freemasonry that hasn’t existed for some time, so there was no damage, just more people asking.  There have been falsehoods spread about Freemasonry since the beginnings of Freemasonry.  We didn’t need a website to dispell rumors then anymore than we do now.  The purpose of this site is unltimately to provide a resource for those interested in joining to find out how to do so, and to get questions answered in the process.

Implying that we are somehow making an attempt at “damage control” would imply that damage has been done.  Quite the contrary, my friend…we are fine.  There will always be people running around with tinfoil on their heads thinking that Freemasons and aliens are reading their minds.  It comes with the territory.  The bottom line is, the people who believe that do so because they have received misinformation from non-Masons, and never bothered to find out the truth about us.  All we can do is chuckle at the silliness of it and be here for those who want to learn the truth.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 10 October 2011 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-10-09

Why isn’t Masonry explained to kids in schools when learning about American History?  and by damage control I was more referring to the overwhelming amount of theoretical information out there which I think is fueled by the fact that your organization does have secrets, it is world wide, it is ancient (going all the way back to egypt it seems), and the fact that know one seems to know exactly what you do.

Posted: 10 October 2011 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27
mguiler - 10 October 2011 11:57 AM

Why isn’t Masonry explained to kids in schools when learning about American History?  and by damage control I was more referring to the overwhelming amount of theoretical information out there which I think is fueled by the fact that your organization does have secrets, it is world wide, it is ancient (going all the way back to egypt it seems), and the fact that know one seems to know exactly what you do.

When you were a kid in school, did they teach you about any OTHER Fraternities?  HOw about the Elks, the Kiwanis, Lions, Moose, Eagles, or the Knights of Columbus.  Did you study them in School?  No?  Probably because your school didn’t put fraternal organizations into their curriculum and more than likely because there is so much misinformation out there that many non-Masons wouldn’t even be able to teach the subject.

AS for no one knowing what it is we do, that’s just not true.  You don’t know.  that’s different then “no one” knowing.

However,...you’re in the right place, and we’re telling you what we do, so you are learning.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 10 October 2011 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-10-09

But America wasn’t founded as an Experiment by any other Fraternities.  It was founded as a Masonic experiment.  Don’t you think that’s Important to American History?

Posted: 10 October 2011 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2010-09-04
mguiler - 10 October 2011 12:30 PM

But America wasn’t founded as an Experiment by any other Fraternities.  It was founded as a Masonic experiment.  Don’t you think that’s Important to American History?

I appreciate your interest in Freemasonry, butbyou ask a lot off weird questions.  May I ask where you get your information?  America wasn’t a Masonic experiment.  It was an English colony that rebelled, much like other crown colonies all around the globe.

Posted: 10 October 2011 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-10-09

“But Mark, back to you.

You seem to be rapid firing questions here without really thinking about the answers we are giving you. I don’t think the country should be too concerned about its elected officials and presidents being Freemasons. After all, in many ways the country itself is a great Masonic experiment—the ideals of Freemasonry were built into our Declaration from the very beginning by Freemasons.  America is dependent in many ways on the goodness of it’s people—that we will do the right thing. And that’s what Freemasonry is all about.

Bob Heruska
Forum Administrator.”

I am trying to get my information from your site

Posted: 10 October 2011 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27
Martlet - 10 October 2011 12:34 PM
mguiler - 10 October 2011 12:30 PM

I appreciate your interest in Freemasonry, butbyou ask a lot off weird questions.  May I ask where you get your information?  America wasn’t a Masonic experiment.  It was an English colony that rebelled, much like other crown colonies all around the globe.

In mguiler’s defense, he’s not making up the part about the Masonic experiment.  I believe he is misunderstanding brother Bob Heruska’s meaning when he said “After all, in many ways the country itself is a great Masonic experiment—the ideals of Freemasonry were built into our Declaration from the very beginning by Freemasons.  America is dependent in many ways on the goodness of it’s people—that we will do the right thing. And that’s what Freemasonry is all about. “

I believe what Bob was saying here is that America was a new type of government, an attempt to build a system of government founded on certain principles of inherent good in man, which is a core concept of Freemasonry.

I think he was taking the statement too literally.  Of course this country wasn’t created by a bunch of Masons in a room, but rather, by the same set of principles.

Signature 

Dan

2 of 5

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4743 seconds.