Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Prince Hall Vs. AF&AM Vs. F&AM
Posted: 21 July 2011 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-07-18

Whats the difference between Prince Hall, AF&AM; an F&AM;.

The lodge I petitioned is AF&AM; but I’ve heard about the others. Any light that can be shed would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posted: 21 July 2011 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2011-03-19

AF&AM; = Ancient Free & Accepted Masons.
F&AM; = Free & Accepted Masons.

They are the exact same thing.  Some Lodges lime to throw in the Ancient, some don’t.

Prince Hall Lodges are no different from other Lodges. Primarily their members are African American, but all races are welcome to join.
http://www.wisc-freemasonry.org/2011/02/09/prince-hall-masonry/

Signature 

Christian Salazar
Progress Lodge #22 F&AM;, Salt Lake City, Utah
EA 7/19/11
FC 8/29/11
MM 10/10/11

Posted: 22 July 2011 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3485
Joined  2007-09-27

No disrespect meant, and I certainly don’t wish to discourage participation in the forum by new Masons, but as we’ve mentioned before we kindly request that brand spanking new members to the fraternity try to avoid answering questions about which they are not fully capable of answering.

In this case, the answer is almost certainly NOT the one given above.  There are most definitely differences between Prince Hall Masonry and regular Freemasonry, and even within that, differences between AF&AM; and F&AM;.

Signature 

Dan

Worshipful Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Aleppo Temple

Posted: 22 July 2011 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2011-03-19
Dan Madore - 22 July 2011 10:31 AM

No disrespect meant, and I certainly don’t wish to discourage participation in the forum by new Masons, but as we’ve mentioned before we kindly request that brand spanking new members to the fraternity try to avoid answering questions about which they are not fully capable of answering.

In this case, the answer is almost certainly NOT the one given above.  There are most definitely differences between Prince Hall Masonry and regular Freemasonry, and even within that, differences between AF&AM; and F&AM;.

Sorry about that. Feel free to delete the post.
So what is the difference?

Signature 

Christian Salazar
Progress Lodge #22 F&AM;, Salt Lake City, Utah
EA 7/19/11
FC 8/29/11
MM 10/10/11

Posted: 22 July 2011 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27

These are subjects that we’ve definitely gone into many times on this site before, but I’ve tracked down a couple of threads that should help.

If you are looking for an explanation of the difference between AF&AM;(ancients) and F&AM; (moderns), please read this thread:
http://www.masonforum.com/viewthread/1166/

If you are looking for an explanation of Prince Hall Masonry, please read this thread:
http://www.masonforum.com/viewthread/1263/

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 22 July 2011 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  771
Joined  2007-03-18

Thanks for keeping us on track Dano.

I agree that we don’t want to discourage any participation in the Forum. But I do think it’s important to give our perspectives on Freemasonry in the context that we know it. Sometimes even those of us who have been on this Forum a long time state things as “fact” when, it turns out it may just have been what we’ve been exposed to in our jurisdictions.

Christian, I do think the link you provided was a good explanation of Prince Hall’s history. Thanks for that.

And that brings up one other point. The more we “travel” as Freemasons the more we see both how similar we all are and how different we can be.

Thanks again to all.

Bob Heruska
Forum Administrator

Signature 

Bob Heruska
Past Master
Columbian Lodge
Boston, MA

Member of the York Rite, Scottish Rite, and the Mystic Shrine.

Posted: 22 July 2011 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1228
Joined  2010-11-01

Bro. Christian, there are differences between the FAM, AFAM, and PHA beyond what you initially indicated.  I have not fully digested what those differences are, so I will let the links posted by you and Bro. Dan explain the foundations of each much better than I could.

Signature 

Bro. Paul Hulseapple
Webmaster for St George’s #6 F.&A.M.
Schenectady NY
http://www.stgeorgeslodge.org
Jr. Warden for the 2014-15 A.D 6014-15 A.L. year
32°AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
Royal Arch Captain
Thomas Smith Webb Chapter of Research #1798
St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons

Posted: 23 July 2011 07:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2011-04-10

The best person to ask is the person that signed your petition. You must have had some connection with this person to desire to be in the organization. You can get useful info on forums, but not always complete info.
I’m Prince Hall in Georgia. The Prince Hall description in the link is incomplete. You can’t define Prince Hall Freemasonry in a paragraph. Just like he wouldn’t describe his jurisdiction history in one paragraph. There is deeper meanings to everything in masonry, especially on the letter subject. Be patient your brothers share light on their history and formation.

Posted: 23 July 2011 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27
SteveFlintstone - 23 July 2011 07:45 AM

The Prince Hall description in the link is incomplete. You can’t define Prince Hall Freemasonry in a paragraph.

Of course you can’t.  The question posed here was not “What is Prince Hall Masonry?”.  The question was what the difference was.  I was trying to illustrate why Prince Hall Masonry still exists apart from AF&AM; and F&AM;.  I wasn’t trying to explain all of Prince Hall Masonry.  Entire books are written on such a subject.

Signature 

Dan

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3613 seconds.