Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Greetings!
Posted: 09 July 2011 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-07-08

Hello to all! 

My name is Mike, and this spring I petitioned Mckenzie River Lodge #195 AF+AM in Eugene, Oregon.  I have gone through my EA and FC degrees, and will be raised to Master Mason on July 21st.  I’m both excited and nervous.

I little background info on me: My path to Masonry actually started with my wife!  A little over a year ago, I was discussing with my wife how I wished I had something to be a part of.  I had been a Boy Scout as a youth, and been very involved with musical ensembles and sports, and now found myself wanting friendship, and fellowship, and quite simply, something to belong to. I had a few friends who were members of the Elks and similar organizations, but I hadn’t really begun researching anything. She asked me if I had ever considered Masonry!  Apparently her Grandfather had been one, and was someone she had always looked up to. I hadn’t, so I began to do a little research, and was immediately impressed with the fraternity and what it stood for.

I spoke with my own family, and the were very supportive.  I found out my Great Grandfather on my mother’s side had been a mason, my father had been in DeMolay, and many of his sisters were Job’s Daughters. 

I found the website for the Grand Lodge of Oregon, and then it directed me to my local lodge, Mckenzie River Lodge #195.  One of the officers listed on the site was someone I had gone to High School with.  I began correspondence with him for a few months, met with some other lodge members and officers, and now here I stand.

On a recent trip to visit my parents, my mother presented me with an awesome and humbling gift… my Great Grandfather’s Masonic Ring.  It is very old (the dates of his degrees are engraved on the side, and are all in the mid 40’s), and has loads of history and story behind it.  You can see where it has been repaired over the years, and I can only lament that he is no longer around to tell me some of those stories.  I will be honored to wear it after I am raised!

Any advice to give a Brother Fellow Craft who is soon to be raised?  My coach recently told me that if I work hard at it, I would have a chance to possibly give back my MM proficiency in front of the Grand Master of OR during his yearly visit.  That would be quite an honor!

At any rate, I look forward to continuing down my Masonic path, and I am excited to see what the future will bring!

Fraternally,

Mike

Signature 

EA 05/19/2011
FC 06/16/2011
MM 07/28/2011

Mckenzie River Lodge #195, Eugene, OR

Posted: 09 July 2011 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2011-04-04

Hi Mike,

Thanks for introducing yourself and congratulations on your soon-to-be raising to Master Mason!

Posted: 09 July 2011 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  399
Joined  2011-03-17

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing your story, there’s a lot of
history there. It sounds like your glad that you picked the Freemason fraternity
to join and you have plenty of support from your family. Enjoy your Master Mason
degree; your life will not be the same after you’re raised.

Fraternally,

Jay

Signature 

Jay Mathis
Worshipful Master
Tuckerton Lodge # 4 F&AM;
Tuckerton, NJ

Posted: 09 July 2011 10:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  665
Joined  2009-11-18

Jay has said it well, Mike. The Master Mason degree will open up for you a great vista and an inexhaustible store of riches; it will probably be one of the great experiences of your life. So relax and enjoy it. Pay careful attention; it is densely packed and no one can grasp it completely at first hearing. As you see it, and hopefully participate in it, over and over, it will reveal more to you. The brothers who take you by the hand on that night will be your friends and brothers for life. And you may afterwards, when you are comfortable in your lodge, choose to expand the experience by pursuing the York Rite and/or Scottish Rite, which will increase your appreciation of what you will have already experienced and give you more opportunities for fellowship and participation. But there’s no hurry for that; savor what you have and move on when you’re ready. Let us know how it went and what you thought.

Signature 

Liberty Pickering Lodge #219, Baltimore MD
Druid RA Chapter #28, Baltimore
Hiram Council #5 R&SM;, Baltimore
Monumental Commandery #3, Baltimore
Harrisburg Consistory AASR, Harrisburg, PA

Posted: 10 July 2011 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1940
Joined  2008-01-21

What an interesting story! I have my Grandfather’s masonic ring. He was born in 1900, and made a mason in 1921, in Corinth KY. I was made a MM in 1982. I have worn his ring in lodges in Paris,France, and Saudi Arabia. Your MM will be splendid. My father officiated at my MM, he was made a MM only 6 months before I was!

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
?? , Afghanistan

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F&AM;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F&AM;)

Posted: 10 July 2011 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-04
cemab4y - 10 July 2011 08:03 AM

What an interesting story! I have my Grandfather’s masonic ring. He was born in 1900, and made a mason in 1921, in Corinth KY. I was made a MM in 1982. I have worn his ring in lodges in Paris,France, and Saudi Arabia. Your MM will be splendid. My father officiated at my MM, he was made a MM only 6 months before I was!

That’s a very interesting Masonic history - especially about your ring. Thanks for sharing that!

Posted: 10 July 2011 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-07-08

Wow!  Great history there!  It’s great that you could share your experiences with your father like that. 

Thank you to everyone for your replies. 

My coach is very active in the Scottish Rite and has prodded me gently in that direction a few times, but I feel it will be important for me to take some time and become comfortable in my blue lodge first, and really get a good foundation for myself built in Masonry before I pursue other avenues. 

I’m less than two weeks away now!  I’ll keep you informed on how it goes!

Mike

Signature 

EA 05/19/2011
FC 06/16/2011
MM 07/28/2011

Posted: 10 July 2011 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  399
Joined  2011-03-17
amconk - 10 July 2011 09:00 PM

Wow!  Great history there!  It’s great that you could share your experiences with your father like that. 

Thank you to everyone for your replies. 

My coach is very active in the Scottish Rite and has prodded me gently in that direction a few times, but I feel it will be important for me to take some time and become comfortable in my blue lodge first, and really get a good foundation for myself built in Masonry before I pursue other avenues. 

I’m less than two weeks away now!  I’ll keep you informed on how it goes!

Mike

Hey Mike,

I agree with your decision to learn the Blue Lodge first before going on
to SR or YR. On another note, I see from your post that your Father was
involved in DeMolay. How neat would it be if he joined your Lodge after
you have been raised to Master Mason. Don’t down-right ask him to join,
but run the idea by him and see what he thinks. We initiate Masons between
the ages of 50 through 70 all the time; in fact we just initiated a retired
minister at the young age of 70. It was very cool when I was able to call
my father my brother; he was at my initiation 10 years ago.

Signature 

Jay Mathis
Worshipful Master
Tuckerton Lodge # 4 F&AM;
Tuckerton, NJ

Posted: 11 July 2011 04:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2010-10-13

I would suggest attending as many degrees as you can and watch other people go through it. While you are going through it you are excited/nervous and there will be a lot you’ll miss. I recently received my MM degree and have learned so much by going back and watching the 3 Degrees performed. You are relaxed and able to see and hear what all happened while you were going through it. It helps too in that if you decide you want to hold an office to see what each one does during a Degree so you can decide if you want to do that or not. I personally became much more profecient in each Degree by listening and watching other people’s than I did going through it myself. It also shows your Lodge Brothers that you are interested in being active. The first time I went to a FC degree after being raised I was asked to fill in the Junior Deacon chair and I just went to watch!

Posted: 11 July 2011 11:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-07-08

Well, I just received word that the degree will be put on hold until August 18th, as they are unable to put together a cast.  I’ve decided that instead of being disappointed, I will be patient and take the time to really go back over my EA and FC exams and spend some time thinking on them.  Plus, I might get a chance to see another degree or two given before that time. 

Mike

Signature 

EA 05/19/2011
FC 06/16/2011
MM 07/28/2011

Posted: 13 July 2011 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1277
Joined  2010-11-01
amconk - 11 July 2011 11:18 PM

Well, I just received word that the degree will be put on hold until August 18th, as they are unable to put together a cast.  I’ve decided that instead of being disappointed, I will be patient and take the time to really go back over my EA and FC exams and spend some time thinking on them.  Plus, I might get a chance to see another degree or two given before that time. 

Mike

The wait will be well worth it.  If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend volunteering for parts in degrees as soon as you can.  It will give you a whole new perspective on them.

Signature 

Bro. Paul Hulseapple
Webmaster for St George’s #6 F.&A.M.
Schenectady NY
http://www.stgeorgeslodge.org
Jr. Warden for the 2014-15 A.D 6014-15 A.L. year
32┬░AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
Royal Arch Captain
Thomas Smith Webb Chapter of Research #1798
St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons

Posted: 16 July 2011 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2011-02-13

I have met a Brother that I believe is from that Lodge.  Kevin Gore?  Pretty nice guy.

Signature 

Kevin Kelly, PM
Fernley Lodge #34, F.&A.M.
Fernley, NV

Posted: 16 July 2011 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-07-08

Yes, I’ve met Brother Gore a few times now!  He seems to be a really nice guy.  If you’d like, I’ll pass on the word that you said hello. 

In other news, I received a phone call from our Senior Warden a few days ago saying that they think they’ll be able to confer my degree on the 28th of this month.  I’ll continue updating as I find out more!

Mike

Signature 

EA 05/19/2011
FC 06/16/2011
MM 07/28/2011

Posted: 31 July 2011 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-07-08

On July 28th I was raised to the Sublime Degree of Master Mason…

What an experience!  I was quite surprised in how the degree continued during the second half.  I’m looking forward to being able to witness it performed the next time my lodge does a MM degree.

As far as the memory work, it should be a piece of cake.  I’ve had one meeting with my coach and I have about two thirds of it down already.

Just wanted to give everyone a quick update! 

Mike

Signature 

EA 05/19/2011
FC 06/16/2011
MM 07/28/2011

Posted: 01 August 2011 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-04

Hi Mike…or should I say Brother Mike. Congratulations on your raising! The third degree really does take a turn in the second section, hahaha!

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3593 seconds.