Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Cultural Anthropology Research Paper
Posted: 21 June 2011 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2408
Joined  2011-01-20

My daughter is a student at Leslie University and took a Cultural Anthropology course last semester. She had to do a research paper on an American “Subculture” and chose to write about Freemasonry. She interviewed people, attended a Table Lodge (Ladies at the Table) and did a lot of research at Grand Lodge. Here is a link to the paper at the Ancient York web site (posted with permission of the admins and my daughter):

http://ancientyorklodge.org/Ethnography_paper.html

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 22 June 2011 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4096
Joined  2007-09-27

Great stuff.  Thanks for posting this, brother.  This paper is good evidence that one does not have to be a Mason to research the fraternity and get true answers.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 22 June 2011 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2009-09-20

Good point Dan.  This paper was very interesting to read and included some great pictures of the Grand Lodge of Boston.  Well done!

Signature 

Eric Gagne

Marshal of Columbian Lodge A.F.& A.M. Boston, MA
Past Worshipful Master of Celestial Lodge A.F.& A.M. Westwood, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
St. Paul’s Royal Arch Chapter Boston, MA
Boston Council of Royal and Select Masters Boston, MA
Boston Commandery #2 Boston, MA

Posted: 22 June 2011 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2011-04-04

The paper was excellent! I think papers like that could go a long way in reducing the stereotypes often associated with Masonry.

/My BA was in Anthro., btw.

Posted: 22 June 2011 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-20

Thanks Brothers, I’ll make sure my daughter sees this :)

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 22 June 2011 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  791
Joined  2007-03-18

An excellent paper indeed. Thank you Brother John for bringing that to the Forum, and thank your daughter for all her hard work.

I would also like to thank Windrider for first contacting our moderators before just posting a link. That’s the kind of Masonic collaboration that goes a long way in our Fraternity.

And finally, for those who want to learn more about our Fraternity and/or are looking to join, I think the paper goes to show that if someone really wants to find out about Freemasonry, all it takes is a little research (or in this young lady’s case, a LOT of research). And you don’t need a “connection” to do this first hand research either. Most Grand Lodges have an information officer of some type who is always willing to help non masons get the information they need.

Thanks again,

Bob Heruska
Forum Administrator.

Signature 

Bob Heruska
Past Master
Columbian Lodge
Boston, MA

Member of the York Rite, Scottish Rite, and the Mystic Shrine.

Posted: 22 June 2011 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-20

I’m glad the paper is being as well received by my brothers as it was by my daughter’s class. She was the first student to present a paper to the class. She tells me there were so many questions that she was forced to exceed her time allotment for the presentation.

She worked hard on the paper and (warning, parental pride) is once again on the Dean’s List.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3165 seconds.