Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

4 of 4
obvious or not-so obvious enemies of Free Masons
Posted: 25 May 2011 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4014
Joined  2007-09-27

The patience in dealing with misguided attackers or just confused questioners comes from the following phrase.  “You are someone’s impression of Freemasonry.”

If you respond in a mean spirited or inappropriate way, someone thinks that at least one Freemason is mean spirited and inappropriate, and they soon begin to think that others are as well.

My patience does have bounds, and I’ve been known to reach the end of those bounds on this forum before, but for the most part, I can’t fault people for their ignorance, I can only work to help correct it. 

So there’s the motivation behind this one moderator.  To convey a positive impression of Freemasonry and to educate.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Senior Deacon, Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Aleppo Temple

Posted: 25 May 2011 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2009-09-20

I think the last line of your previous post Dan is what all Masons should strive to do.  A very well written statement.

Signature 

Eric Gagne

Columbian Lodge A.F.& A.M. Boston, MA
Junior Warden, Celestial Lodge A.F.& A.M. Westwood, MA
St. Paul’s Royal Arch Chapter Boston, MA
Boston Council of Royal and Select Masters Boston, MA
Boston Commandery #2 Boston, MA

Posted: 25 May 2011 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2011-04-04
illusionist - 25 May 2011 12:01 PM

I think the last line of your previous post Dan is what all Masons should strive to do.  A very well written statement.

I agree.

Posted: 27 May 2011 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-04-21

Just another random thought on enemies of freemasonry…

In one regard, I find that masonry’s vocabulary can be a cause for those that are ill-informed to take strong anti-Masonic opinions needlessly.

A few examples: the leader of a lodge is called “worshipful”. For a person well versed on British or Canadian English, this term is common and used in courts and other municipal positions to mean what an American might use in the context “your honor” when speaking to a judge or magistrate. To someone with an anti-Masonic bent, this gives a springboard for the claim we worship the lodge leader. Obviously, never the case.

Another issue might be the use of the term “mystic”, “mystical” or “mysterious”. To the general public this may sound like witchcraft when that is not the case. It is really the same medieval proper English intention as is used in some traditions like Catholicism. That being, if a man’s heart is transformed to be more gentle, more prudent, or more charitable that is something that is profound and an indication we are made in God’s Image and we can do positive things beyond our natural, self-serving states.

Because masonry’s proper use of language has not changed, but common society’s vernacular evolves rapidly, the disconnect can cause masonry to give ammunition to those that do not understand the terms.

So by Masonry’s very traditions and terms, it too may serve as fodder for the enemies of freemasonry. The good news is that a secular understanding of arts and sciences can give any thinking man a clear understanding of the truth.

Signature 

Master Mason
Arlington Heights Masonic Lodge, Barrington, IL

Posted: 29 June 2012 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-06-29

I hope they dont come after me after I joined this site

Posted: 29 June 2012 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27
morgan - 29 June 2012 02:38 PM

I hope they dont come after me after I joined this site

You can’t be serious.  Are you just trying to be funny?
You haven’t even given your name or any information about yourself, as opposed to those of us who are moderating this site, who give our full names and locations (and no, they haven’t come after us either).

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 03 September 2012 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1233
Joined  2011-11-10

Hit the wrong button - sorry (and I can’t delete my own post!)

Signature 

Richard
Past Provincial Junior Grand Warden, Provincial Grand Treasurer (Royal Arch)
Member of Craft, Royal Arch, Ancient & Accepted Rite, Mark, Royal Ark Mariner, Knight Templar, Knight Templar Priest, Order of Secret Monitor, Royal Order of Scotland
UGLE.

Posted: 03 September 2012 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2010-01-15

Just a casual observation from a person who is not involved in this thread…

While I am not accusing anyone of anything here—please accept that—after carefully reading each post that was written by accounts that are new to the site and are not long-term members of the community, I have noticed that this thread has an uncanny similarity to the approach used by alt.syntax.tactical to disrupt discussion boards…  The Group 1 posts all conform to the established strategies routinely employed by that organization—and the extreme post that threatens violence is a by-the-numbers Group 2 attack that could be easily presented as the epitome of execution of Group 2 first-strike tactics.

If I were asked for my opinion about how to respond to it, I would suggest that the best way to respond is not not respond at all.

Now as for the questions of conspiracy and hate that were the opening topic of the thread, Freemasons have no claim to cornering the market for being targets of that sort of treatment as others have repeatedly pointed out.  The reality is that any group or individual that has any sort of power *or is perceived to have power when they actually do not* is subjected to that sort of treatment with the same regularity of the sun rising and setting…  Just ask Earl Godwin about his piece of bread…

Signature 

“I have always believed that writing advertisements
is the second most profitable form of writing. The
first, of course, is ransom notes…”  Philip Dusenberry

Marine Lodge AF&AM;, Falmouth, Massachusetts, USA
The Masonic Writers Group

Posted: 23 February 2013 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2013-02-13
Yasser - 26 April 2011 10:22 PM

Hi

I am not a mason yet, petitioned a lodge and my application was voted at in favor, so i would like to share with you my own thoughts, one of the things I was told during the interview I had with the gentlemen who came to my house was that there is some fees associated with joining masonry, and that I will need to make sure that i can give few hours per month for the lodge, and that one of the principles of masonry is not to cause any distress for the applicants which means if you can not give some time or you can not afford to join you should not, or you should prepare your self first and than join, now with that being said I want you to know that I am not trying to convince you to join at all it should be something from your own will and accord, but have you ever seen a mason asking another man to join masonry probably not and that is because masonry does not want quantity but wants quality :-p now this is my opinion about those people saying bad things about masonry, there probably people who petitioned the lodge and got rejected and that is why there spreading rumors or simply they do not know what they are talking about it is so simple you do not like masonry do not join you like masonry your welcome to petition but before deciding whether you want to join or not make sure to know what masonry is, I believe lots of people in here will private you to answer your questions and simply enlighten you on what masonry is but trust me no one is going to ask you to join and if you decide to join lots of guys from your area will guide you in the right direction one more thing :-p I am not afraid of joining i was told what to expect but i am still nervous my initiation date is jun 13th.

Congratulations!  I have met a lot of awesome brothers since I joined.  Also, it’s something that ‘grows on you’ I feel.

Signature 

Muslim Freemasons: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Muslim-Freemasons/223146304428694?fref=ts

Posted: 23 February 2013 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27

Brothers, a reminder to please look at the date of posts before replying to them.  The post you replied to was from two years ago, and that thread has been dormant for a year now.  We like to ask that our members don’t reply to old and dormant threads, as it makes it more difficult to moderate the forum discussions.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 03 September 2014 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2014-08-22

When I was considering joining I researched Masonry on the internet. Lots of good info out there but also a lot of this conspiracy stuff. I started reading it for entertainment and laughs. I quickly learned not to read this stuff while drinking anything as I may end up destroying my computer. Some of this stuff is absolutely hysterically funny, especially the things spewed by Texe Marrs.

Signature 

St. Matthews Lodge 906, Louisville,Kentucky.
Suburban Lodge 740, Louisville,Kentucky
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
Knights of St. Andrew, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter # 5, Royal Arch Masons
Louisville Council # 4, Royal and Select Masters
Louisville-DeMolay Commandery #12, Knights Templar

Posted: 04 February 2016 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2016-01-25

I said in my post that my sister and father had misinformation and misconceptions about the fraternity, and a global conspiracy was one of those things for my father. If there is a conspiracy, where’s my money and power? Because right now I have neither of those things LOL

Signature 

Bro Aaron Mark

Master Mason Green Grove Lodge #107 Conway, AR

32nd Degree Scottish Rite Mason (Scottish Rite Valley) Little Rock, AR

Posted: 10 April 2016 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2016-04-06

O.K.. I read enough. Now my 2cents. I just wrote several hundreds of words on the subject. “How is it that anti masonic theorists with tin foil in their hats, can profess to know more about Freemasonry, than Freemasons themselves realize about Freemasonry?” AN AGE OLD MASONIC CONUNDRUM.

Who are terrorists? The British would have by today’s standards, considered the Colonists as terrorists.
Violent rhetoric. Does that qualify one as a terrorist? Some people make blanket statements about their opposite numbers.

While researching for my paper, I peruse a Roman Catholic forum. These entries were included in my article: But first allow me to explain that our last two GMs were/are RCs and locally, the Masons and KofC have held a joint annual dinner for years. Some enjoy dual memberships. I myself was raised RC too. I only repeat what is out there.

A Knight of Columbus wrote this about Freemasons. He described his newly acquired KofC sword. “I felt its power surge through my body as I gripped it in the name of Jesus”. He went on to write, “How would the ancient knights Templars feel if the returned to find that the Masons had stolen their name and symbols?  It makes me so angry as a true knight, when I think of the enemies of my church, that I would like to slash Freemasons and run them through. Then offer the blood dripping from my blade to Jesus. I want to slash all of their things in the lodge and I want to destroy all traces of them”.

I concluded that I had hoped he did not belong to the NRA because swords we can handle.

He wasn’t a Muslim. He was a home-grown American. Should he be on the terrorist list? We just ignore these anti Masonic conspiracy theorists.

Here was a second bright-light. “I took a walk through town while wearing my kofC tee shirt. I forgot that I was wearing it and had to walk past the masons building. I had to walk well out of my way to avoid that street. I was afraid that they might see me and come pouring out of the building and attack and beat me. I have always been told that they hate Catholics. Did I do the right thing or should I have confronted them?. What would Jesus have done?” I responded that I didn’t think Jesus would have been wearing a tee shirt advertising anything except maybe Manischewitz wine and that he should have never left the hospital without an orderly.

So? Do we fear for ourselves and our families? Naaa!  We have been putting up with this crappola for 277 year, since Pope Clement XII released “In Eminenti in 1738.

rrc

Signature 

York Rite from Blue Lodge to KT with all stops between.
Scottish Rite to 32 degree.
Royal Order of Scotland.
Distinguished Service Award Apron.
York Rite Sovereign College of North America Gold Honor Award.
Internationally publish Masonic authority.
Transactions, American lodge of Research.
Prince Hall, The Phylaxis.
The Philalethes.
Masonic Lecturer.
Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland.

Posted: 01 February 2017 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2016-05-30

I am not a mason. However, I noticed your post listed and I thought your questions to be interesting. I thought I would share with you my thoughts (before reading the comments).

It is my understanding, that what you are describing is a journey from the unknown to the known. I would have to say that I personally enjoy and find the journey interesting. However, from my exposure, the “conspiracy theories” that you mention are an illustration of curiosity.

Anyone correct me if I’m wrong, but these theories seem to be a way to make sense of what you do not understand. The more people “probe” the more questions they receive. In my own journey, this frustration and uncertainty can manifest into anger or fear because either: you are not getting the answers that you want OR you feel no one is listening to you. As it has been said before, “People fear what they do not understand.” So, in my mind: Fear + Curiosity = Conspiracy Theories coupled with anger.

There is this interesting YouTube channel: Masonic Roundtable
I have found that the above YouTube channel cleared up many “conspiracy theories” for me.
I wonder if the admins of this forum are aware of that channel and their thoughts on it?

Lastly, as it has been said, “There is nothing to fear but fear itself.” I am sure there are others whom are well versed in the quotes I provided and perhaps my perspective is superficial in substance, however, I just thought that you should be aware of YOUR OWN FEAR when you think about these conspiracy theories and perhaps, you will find that these theories reflect your own doubt and unknowing.

4 of 4

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.5660 seconds.