Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

3 of 4
obvious or not-so obvious enemies of Free Masons
Posted: 28 April 2011 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4054
Joined  2007-09-27

Understood.  You are not required to share your personal info if you don’t want to.  We respect that.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 28 April 2011 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2336
Joined  2011-01-20
ASonOfLiberty - 28 April 2011 03:05 PM

Wow a lot of history here. I’m glad you all took time to reply, very much appreciated. I will tell more about myself to ‘Wind rider’ in a private forum. It’s nothing personal. I’m just a very private person, and this is a public forum. I will allow him to share my info with all you

Thanks again.

I’m glad to help, but I think it was jay that asked….

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 28 April 2011 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  788
Joined  2007-03-18

Windrider I am assuming that he said he would PM you as he is in Havelhill, MAand you are the closest in proximity to his location. Mr. Liberty you are welcome to PM an of us on the Forum, though you might get more specific questions answered by speaking to someone in Massachusetts. I will also check to see if I know anyone from the Lodge in Haverhill and see if there is someone you could speak with.

Bob Herska
Forum Administrator

Signature 

Bob Heruska
Past Master
Columbian Lodge
Boston, MA

Member of the York Rite, Scottish Rite, and the Mystic Shrine.

Posted: 29 April 2011 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2011-04-26

Bob - That would be great. Oh and call me John. Mr. Liberty is my father . :)

Posted: 29 April 2011 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-20

I did receive a PM and invited John to get together with me.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 29 April 2011 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2007-10-29

I personally am not afraid of anyone knowing I am a freemason in fact I am proud of it knowing the true meaning of it not something someone read on the net. I believe asking is the only why to know the truth. I am glad you are meeting someone to try and understand the masons.

Signature 

EA: 3/14/11
FC: 4/11/11
MM: 5/23/11

Posted: 24 May 2011 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-04-21

I’m not “afraid” of Masonry either, but I do understand it has enemies. As a matter of general prudence, I do not give my name out on the Internet because I wish to remain as anonymous as the readers of the same posts.

Having said that, the biggest enemy of Freemasonry is overzealous religion. I have a strong personal faith and a solid belief system of my own. I find nothing in masonry conflicts with my moral and religious obligations but I do know people of my religion that are an enemy to masonry.

Masonry espouses the concept that our Creator desires us to to show charity and kindness to our fellow man. It further suggests that our works to ease the suffering of mankind please God. Those who are caught up in religious dogma might suggest a concept that “but masonry proposes salvation through good deeds without accepting XYZ as your lord and savior!”. Myth. Masonry provides no path to salvation, only a common framework that says there is a God, we ought to pursue him in our church, synagogue or other place of workship, and that masonry allows us to have common purpose to serve man within the confines of “those religious principles upon which all men of good character can agree”. 

Secondarily, masonry conflicts with some religions in that we will dine, eat and call our neighbors brothers EVEN IF we are not of the same religion or denomination. Zealous people of certain religions find it abhorrent that we would attempt charitable works or fraternize with someone of another religion. The idea that masons might have a prayer that thanks God for this life we have been given is viewed as too generic, too PC, and therefore against denominational interests. Once again, extreme religious intolerance detests the intellectual moderation that masonry has provided as a platform of common ground for centuries.

In short, the enemies of freemasonry are the intolerant and those that espouse totalitarian religious views that desire to convert those that disagree or conquer them. Masonry provides no means to overcome religious differences amongst members but instead focuses on the basic truths that man is made by God and we are called together to serve one another EVEN IF we cannot agree on principles of religious dogma, deity or path to salvation. Masonry asks every man to seek more light (education, contemplation, examination), it does not ask men to convert to “the true religion” as masonry has never purported to describe which one that would be.

Just my opinion of who are the enemies.

Signature 

Master Mason
Arlington Heights Masonic Lodge, Barrington, IL

Posted: 24 May 2011 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4054
Joined  2007-09-27

Welcome back Roohawk.  We haven’t seen you in a few years!

That’s a great answer, and I appreciate you sharing your insight.  You’ve put things quite well.  Unfortunately there will always be an element that will find fault or flaw with your explanations and truths.  It is difficult to win an argument when you are restricted only to the facts, and yet your opponent has an entire world full of fiction at his disposal to invent and use against you.  That’s what makes this site so much fun! ;)

I’d like to add that while I understand your reluctance to include your name along with all of ours who are here on this forum, it is a minimum requirement that if you are a Mason that you include the name and location of your lodge, as stated in the rules about posting, here:

http://www.masonforum.com/viewthread/64/

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 24 May 2011 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2080
Joined  2008-01-21

@ rookhawk: What an excellent and articulate statement! You have hit that nail on the head. People seem to forget that the enemies of Freemasonry, include the Nazis, the Communists, the Franco dictatorship in Spain, Radical Islam, etc. etc. Many people who call themselves “Christians” are perfectly willing to jump right into bed with the aforementioned.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 24 May 2011 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2011-01-01

I wish I had time in my normal day to contemplate things like some of the visitors to this forum do.

Signature 

EA - 12/30/2010
FC - 3/10/2011
MM - 4/21/2011
Grand Lodge of Texas

Posted: 24 May 2011 10:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2011-03-17
gjabbar - 24 May 2011 10:08 PM

I wish I had time in my normal day to contemplate things like some of the visitors to this forum do.

We all have the time, my Brother.

As God created the Heaven and the Earth in six days and rested on the seventh, so they observed this as a day of rest from their labors, there-by enjoying frequent opportunities to contemplate the glorious works of creation and to adore their Great Creator. Life is a gift and a privilege, don’t let it pass you by.

To the gentleman who was contemplating about the enemies of Freemasonry - Never let you zeal for the institution lead you into argument with those who, through ignorance, may ridicule it.

Signature 

Jay Mathis
Past Master
Tuckerton Lodge # 4 F&AM;
Tuckerton, NJ

Posted: 24 May 2011 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2011-01-01

I understand what you say, Brother, but my thought is that many of the guest posters “looking for answers and light” are just posting to make the rest of the group waste time.  I appreciate the patience that the moderators show, but when you read the posts you have to get a feeling in your gut like we are getting played.

We have an Entered Apprentice in our Lodge that has stopped going to Lodge meetings or learning what is required due to “concerns regarding his religious beliefs and Freemasonry”.....OK that is fine, and I can respect that even if I know he is confused and young.  The Brothers had spent countless hours with him to discuss Freemasonry, etc.

Then I see the same guy at a bar absolutely falling-down drunk the night we had our stated meeting.  Wow.  But this is the same person who would (and has) called us Satanic.  Drives me crazy.

I guess my purpose for this post - I respect the patience you all show when “searching souls” come knocking.  It is obviously something I need to work on…..

Signature 

EA - 12/30/2010
FC - 3/10/2011
MM - 4/21/2011
Grand Lodge of Texas

Posted: 24 May 2011 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2011-03-17

I understand your frustration as I have seen similar situations during my Masonic career. I have seen the closed minded religious fanatic who could not see past what he was previously taught. Even though he became a Master Mason, we rarely see him, but we are still open to his involvement in Lodge. The falling down, drunk guy was eventually removed from our roster because he never made it past Fellowcraft. The countless hours to try to help him did keep him alive and he eventually sought professional help, but never pursued his Masonic life. Remember we take GOOD men and make them better, we don’t just take any man and try to make him a good man.

Signature 

Jay Mathis
Past Master
Tuckerton Lodge # 4 F&AM;
Tuckerton, NJ

Posted: 25 May 2011 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-20
gjabbar - 24 May 2011 10:44 PM

I understand what you say, Brother, but my thought is that many of the guest posters “looking for answers and light” are just posting to make the rest of the group waste time.  I appreciate the patience that the moderators show, but when you read the posts you have to get a feeling in your gut like we are getting played.

We have an Entered Apprentice in our Lodge that has stopped going to Lodge meetings or learning what is required due to “concerns regarding his religious beliefs and Freemasonry”.....OK that is fine, and I can respect that even if I know he is confused and young.  The Brothers had spent countless hours with him to discuss Freemasonry, etc.

Then I see the same guy at a bar absolutely falling-down drunk the night we had our stated meeting.  Wow.  But this is the same person who would (and has) called us Satanic.  Drives me crazy.

I guess my purpose for this post - I respect the patience you all show when “searching souls” come knocking.  It is obviously something I need to work on…..

Every once in a while we run across somebody who comes in with guns blazing spewing hate and fear and through patience and honesty goes away with a favorable opinion of us and the Craft. I had that experience on facebook recently with a guy who’s religious teachers were misinforming him. He came onto a facebook page and started telling us how evil we are. I and several other brother treated him with kindness and patience. The end of the exchange was me saying “We met on the level. We part on the square.” When someone explained that to him, he thanked us all, apologized for his prior rants and we all felt we have a new friend. Sometimes, not often, but sometimes it actually works :)

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°

Posted: 25 May 2011 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2011-04-04
gjabbar - 24 May 2011 10:44 PM

I know how you feel. I think that one of my biggest shortcomings is that I have very little tolerance for posers and fools. I also commend the moderators on this forum for their self-restraint and tactfulness with some of the “guests.”

I know that non-Masons have a lot of misconceptions about The Craft and I don’t fault them for that. I’ll admit that before I became a Freemason I had some wild ideas too. But after becoming a Mason, and getting to know the people that I have through Masonry, it’s become very apparent how off the mark a lot of the misconceptions about Masonry are. Now, I seldom read anything written about Masonry unless it was written by a Mason. And I don’t even bother with anything on the History Channel that mentions Masonry - it’s almost guaranteed to be sensationalized.

3 of 4

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.5871 seconds.