Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

2 of 4
obvious or not-so obvious enemies of Free Masons
Posted: 28 April 2011 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4036
Joined  2007-09-27
ASonOfLiberty - 27 April 2011 05:06 PM

Dan - Having no enemies would be an honor…

Only if those enemies became friend as a result of reason and logic, and a mutual appreciation of each other.

Since Al Qaeda doesn’t benefit from the gifts of reason and logic, it makes sense that they would consider enemies those who view reason and logic as beneficial attributes.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Senior Deacon, Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 28 April 2011 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2011-04-26

Dan - They may or may not seem to have logic or reason.. but they have been taking on some of the worlds super powers. What i do see, is Dedication. These people are portrayed as savages and cave dwelling idiots (pretty much) by our News Media. But i see something else.

I’m never going to claim to know anything about the conflicts in the middle east because all the information i receive is filtered again and again. But i notice a growing hate for Islam and the world wide spread of “terrorism” in the last 10 years.

My ancestors land was occupied by foreign forces. They (my ancestors) were treated as savages, They (my ancestors) were tortured, and They (my ancestors) were taken in the night. They (my ancestors) were greatly outnumbered, Their (my ancestors) technology was obsolete, but they (My Ancestors) achieved victory.  And i am alive and Free today because of it.  It is to my belief that some of these men (my ancestors) were Free Masons.

sadly history tends to repeat itself

Posted: 28 April 2011 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27
ASonOfLiberty - 28 April 2011 09:04 AM

Dan - They may or may not seem to have logic or reason.. but they have been taking on some of the worlds super powers. What i do see, is Dedication. These people are portrayed as savages and cave dwelling idiots (pretty much) by our News Media. But i see something else.

I’m never going to claim to know anything about the conflicts in the middle east because all the information i receive is filtered again and again. But i notice a growing hate for Islam and the world wide spread of “terrorism” in the last 10 years.

My ancestors land was occupied by foreign forces. They (my ancestors) were treated as savages, They (my ancestors) were tortured, and They (my ancestors) were taken in the night. They (my ancestors) were greatly outnumbered, Their (my ancestors) technology was obsolete, but they (My Ancestors) achieved victory.  And i am alive and Free today because of it.  It is to my belief that some of these men (my ancestors) were Free Masons.

Well, I’m not sure where you are going with this (or where I’m going with it for that matter).  Of course Islamic terrorists are people too.  However, they have been convinced and converted into what most believe to be a corrupt belief system.  They have no interest in any other reason but theirs, and their intolerance of others is well documented for the world to see.  Eject foreign occupiers, sure…I get that.  You know that is not where that groups devotions lie.

Dedication means nothing without a virtuous purpose.  I could be dedicated to frying ants with a magnifying glass.  Would that prove me worthy of your admiration?

As for the story of your ancestors…..mine is a similar one, one that has been documented in literature and history.  Many did not survive but many more did.  The history of mankind is not a set of black and white stories about foreign invaders and a “leave us alone” mentality that justifies the killing of innocents.  It is not justified now any more than it has been in the past.  I just don’t see how the point is particularly relevant.

So let’s move off of the discussion on the justification of the behavior of radical terrorist groups, and bring this back to your original point.  Sorry…I’m not trying to silence you in any way, I merely want to keep this thread on topic.  All threads on this forum are at least loosly supposed to inform about Freemasonry.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 28 April 2011 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  109
Joined  2011-04-03
ASonOfLiberty - 28 April 2011 08:14 AM

Marshall - Im only 24 years of age. So back n 2002 I was probably only 15-16 years old. So yes i started watching then. Though 2002 may not seem to long ago for many of you. I was just a young man, seeking knowledge about everything and anything

So today is 2011. Have you had previous inquisitive contact with individuals you knew to be Masons prior to this? Or have you just been listening to everyone else talk about us for the past 9 years?

ASonOfLiberty - 28 April 2011 09:04 AM

I’m sorry to hear about them (your ancestors) but really this statement could be said about any of them (our ancestors). As you pointed out, history tends to repeat itself, and they (our ancestors in general) usually share common histories in one way or another. Their (again, our ancestors) lives were usually also tragic and short, and they (our ancestors; though, specifically, the ancestors of no one in particular) also owned slaves (maybe also our ancestors)

Posted: 28 April 2011 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-04-26

Dan - I never said i admired the terrorist for being dedicated. nor do i admire any violence or bullshit (see above) Their story just seems similar to my ancestors. You can argue that they have no virtuous purpose, or their beliefs are intolerant and selfish, but on the other hand… you can say our fathers were the same way and evolved.

I agree we should go back to the main topic(FreeMasonry), and i hope no offense was taken.

Posted: 28 April 2011 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-04-26

Marshall - My grandfather was a police officer in our city.. I believe he knew a few masons. They were stand up guys. My Father speaks highly of Free Masons… All i know about Masons is through History Books and the Internet. I never sat down and talked to anyone associated with your fraternity.

(the 9 years is the mark of how long i been researching the conspiracy, not freemasonry)

Posted: 28 April 2011 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-03
ASonOfLiberty - 28 April 2011 11:07 AM

Marshall - My grandfather was a police officer in our city.. I believe he knew a few masons. They were stand up guys. My Father speaks highly of Free Masons… All i know about Masons is through History Books and the Internet. I never sat down and talked to anyone associated with your fraternity.

Ahhhh. That explains quite a bit, then. Well, welcome! I’ll take a quick stab at your previous questions—

1. Do any members fear, or aware of the dangers these ‘theories’ pose to your members and your families?
- As I’d said before, it’s only really unsafe when our actions fail to speak louder than their words. Some places and cultures are more wary of the Fraternity than others, which is a shame. It’s possible that someone in another country once joined the Fraternity before discovering that their government or religious grouping forbade it, but most of the Masons on THIS site hail from free countries.

2. Were you afraid to join the Masons?
- Personally? Absolutely not. I’ve never really been able to care much about what people think of me, so if someone decided to judge me harshly for the company I keep, I probably have forgotten about it (and them) by now. Fear of physical confrontation, though? Not in a civilized society.

3. Do you feel opening this site, could open doors to those who wish harm any Free Masons?
- If someone wants to harm Freemasons, they probably don’t really need this site to do it.

4. Do you think slander creates problems for non-members who want to become a Freemason?
- If someone wants to become a Freemason, it’s probably because they’ve already decided for themselves that the slander is exactly what it is. If they’ve listened to the slander and believe it, though? Well, that’s what this site is for!

5. What are you doing to Protect Free Masons Reputation and Member’s well-being?
- You’re lookin’ at it right now. We’re here to answer any and all questions; total transparency, with the exception of the details of our ritual and modes of recognition.

6. Are there any known enemies of Free Masons, and are they a real threat?
- Well… like you’d said, the Al Qaeda apparently has deemed us an enemy, but without a national or international governing body, we’re probably more widespread and rooted than they are. Maybe they’re jealous! Ha! Anyway, the Catholic Church also tends to not like us very much, to the tune of declaring all Masons apostate, but the reasons they have for this are a little nebulous. They haven’t done anything to actually THREATEN us since like, what, the Inquisition? Again, civilized society.

—- and if you have any other questions, just go ahead and ask them outright, and we’ll answering anything you want. Since you’ve heard nothing but what OTHER people have to say about us for the past nine years, I’d recommend starting with the basics… it’s always interesting to compare the external and internal views of a particular group or culture :-)

Posted: 28 April 2011 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27
ASonOfLiberty - 28 April 2011 10:59 AM

I agree we should go back to the main topic(FreeMasonry), and i hope no offense was taken.

Certainly no offense was taken.  I enjoy all types of discussion.  I was just trying to keep this one in bounds.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 28 April 2011 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-04-26

Marshall - Thank you for breaking it down. I agree, seeing both sides of the coin is what I’m here to do.

Dan - I prefer to have these types of conversations face to face, text is always is taken out of context and didn’t want any confusion :)

(for the Masons) how old were you when you interested in FreeMasonry? At what age did you become a member? And how long have you been members? If these answers are somewhere on this site just drop a link.

Thanks for all the replies.
Cheers.

Posted: 28 April 2011 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27
ASonOfLiberty - 28 April 2011 12:03 PM

Marshall - Thank you for breaking it down. I agree, seeing both sides of the coin is what I’m here to do.

Dan - I prefer to have these types of conversations face to face, text is always is taken out of context and didn’t want any confusion :)

This is true.  I’ve been a victim of it myself!  :)

(for the Masons) how old were you when you interested in FreeMasonry? At what age did you become a member? And how long have you been members? If these answers are somewhere on this site just drop a link.

I was 24 when I decided to join, and 25 when I joined.  I’ve been a member 10 years.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 28 April 2011 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2327
Joined  2011-01-20
Dan Madore - 28 April 2011 12:07 PM

This is true.  I’ve been a victim of it myself!  :)

I was 24 when I decided to join, and 25 when I joined.  I’ve been a member 10 years.

I was probably 50 when I decided to join and 53 when I joined less than a year ago. I went through a similar investigation of the Craft as you did but stuck with more official sources. It was on the back burner for a while and I wish I did it many years earlier.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 28 April 2011 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-03

(for the Masons) how old were you when you interested in FreeMasonry? At what age did you become a member? And how long have you been members?

Like most people here, my Grandfather is a Mason. He’s also a Shriner, and I’d always been curious about the Shrine and the stuff hanging on his walls, and his little fez, and all that. He used to be the coordinator/director for the high school bands chosen to do the half time and pre-game show for the East-West Shrine Football Game. A few years when I was younger I helped him do that by being a gopher/messenger and then as a shadow conductor. It wasn’t until I was about 26, long after, that I learned that all Shriners were Masons. I had passing knowledge of the Fraternity, mostly gleaned from popular sources (National Treasure *sigh*) but also from cursory studies of American History. I approached him and he opened up immediately about it, thrilled that I was interested. He gave me several books on the subject and after I rapidly devoured them, he wrote me a letter of introduction and recommendation to Orange Grove Lodge, a Lodge that was only three blocks away from the college I’d graduated from four years earlier. I petitioned in 2007 and was initiated as the last candidate of 2007. Been there ever since and haven’t regretted even a fraction of a single second OR dollar that I have spent for that Lodge.

Posted: 28 April 2011 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2011-03-17

John, Masonry goes back in my family for 7 generations that I can prove through minutes of Masonic meetings, so I guess you can say that it is in my blood. 9 generations ago one peticular ancestor met personally with General George Washington about funds needed for the War Of Independence, but I can not prove yet, that they were masonic Brothers. I joined at age 41 and am a 10 year Master Mason.

Now I’m going to take you back to Zoffy’s post in the beginning of this thread; now that you know many things about us, how about telling us a little about yourself, especially since I may also be considered A Son Of Liberty. Thanks, Jay.

Signature 

Jay Mathis
Past Master
Tuckerton Lodge # 4 F&AM;
Tuckerton, NJ

Posted: 28 April 2011 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  677
Joined  2009-11-18

John, My father and grandfather were Masons. They arranged for me to join the Order of DeMolay, which is a young men’s group sponsored by Masons. I joined when I was 15 and had a wonderful time, and was greatly impressed by the Masons who were our advisors. Soon after I graduated from college, I submitted my petition to the lodge which sponsored my DeMolay chapter, but military service (this was in the days of the draft) prevented me from being initiated. Two weeks after completing my service and returning to the US from Europe, I was initiated in my lodge in Nov. 1964 and became a Master Mason in January 1965. After 46 years, serving in Lodge and in both the Scottish and York Rites, I am still very active and committed. Freemasonry has been a big part of my life, and I have never had the slightest suspicions, regrets, or disappointments.

Signature 

Liberty Pickering Lodge #219, Baltimore MD
Druid RA Chapter #28, Baltimore
Hiram Council #5 R&SM;, Baltimore
Monumental Commandery #3, Baltimore
Harrisburg Consistory AASR, Harrisburg, PA

Posted: 28 April 2011 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-04-26

Wow a lot of history here. I’m glad you all took time to reply, very much appreciated. I will tell more about myself to ‘Wind rider’ in a private forum. It’s nothing personal. I’m just a very private person, and this is a public forum. I will allow him to share my info with all you

Thanks again.

2 of 4

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.5634 seconds.