Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

1 of 4
obvious or not-so obvious enemies of Free Masons
Posted: 26 April 2011 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2011-04-26

I would like to start off by saying (or typing)...

I am a proud American/Massachusetts citizen.
I love my country, my family, and my freedom.
I don’t advocate violence or bullshit. (for lack of a better word…)
I am not currently employed,
but if I had to pick a “profession”,
it would probably be an “Observer”.

With the growth of ‘conspiracies theories’ on the internet and other media outlets… do any members fear, or aware of the dangers these ‘theories’ pose to your members and your families? I’m sure you are all well-aware that there is a large community of people who actually believe you are satanic worshipers. And.. you are single handedly responsible for the enslavement of mankind and the fall of the Liberty and Freedom for all men. ect….

Considering the age of this group, You people had to deal with these things for many years. Your group is being slandered as we speak. I for one, never believed such stories.. (why would great men build a nation to destroy it? see ‘bullshit’ above)

Do you feel opening this site, could open doors to those who wish harm any Free Masons?
Do you think slander creates problems for non-members who want to become a Freemason?
  What are you doing to Protect Free Masons Reputation and Member’s well-being?
  Are there any known enemies of Free Masons, and are they a real threat.

Now i guess for the real question
Were you afraid to join the Masons?

Posted: 26 April 2011 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-04-26

I hope this question doesn’t get taken out of context…. I also hate to bring up the conspiracy, but that shit is everywhere and spreading like wild fire.

Posted: 26 April 2011 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2011-03-17

Fear never crossed my mind when I petitioned to become a member of Freemasonry. In fact, I consider it one of the best decisions that I have made in my life to date. I openly display that I am a member of the Freemasons by posting an emblem on my vehicle, wearing a windbreaker with the square and compass displayed, and a cap with my local Lodge displayed above the brim. Our Lodge is very active in the community and is looked upon with favor from most of the people in the area. What I have gained from this experience is a bond with good men and families in this world that I would never had the opportunity to be acquainted with, and a feeling of self worth by being able to help anyone in need without expecting recognition. Your questions about the Forum will have to be answered by others. As seen by the communication and fellowship displayed by the members of this website, who have never met each other; if more men were Freemasons, the world would be a much better place.

Signature 

Jay Mathis
Past Master
Tuckerton Lodge # 4 F&AM;
Tuckerton, NJ

Posted: 26 April 2011 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  783
Joined  2007-03-18

Welcome and thanks for your question. It doesn’t take someone very long to realize the conspiracy folks are wrong. All the Masons on here use our real names. Real towns. Real Lodges that have Web pages that say where and when we meet. Do YOU think we’re worried?
Bob Heruska
Columbian Lodge
Corner of Tremont and Boylston
Boston, MA
Have met the 1st Thursday of the month since 1795.

Signature 

Bob Heruska
Past Master
Columbian Lodge
Boston, MA

Member of the York Rite, Scottish Rite, and the Mystic Shrine.

Posted: 26 April 2011 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-04-26

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I actually live near a Haverhill Ma, Lodge. (or what i believe to be one) Maybe someone from that area can PM me, and we can have a more personal conversation? There are many reasons why i want and don’t want to join. Maybe a simple conversation might change things.

Cheers
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty

Posted: 26 April 2011 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2011-04-04

Hi John,

I noticed that your profile provides hardly any personal information. Hmmm, interesting given that it’s us Masons that are supposed to be the ‘secretive’ ones.

As to the conspiracy theories that surround Freemasonry, they are, for the most part, a lot of nonsense. Believe me, I don’t think that you will find many people that have a bigger library of the paranormal, the esoteric, or the odd/bizarre (real books, to boot!)than I do. Do you know how much of that stuff I have found that crossed over to Masonry? Hardly any. I didn’t say none - but almost none. Masonry is about improving yourself and, if you wish, taking that ‘improved self’ out in the community and working for the betterment of others. No spaceships, no Dropa stones, no mechanical head of John the Baptist, no Crowleyan demon raising, no Bohemian Grove - just self improvement with a good bunch of guys that like to eat. That other stuff may be interesting - but it’s not Masonry.

Welcome to the forum. Being an ‘Observer’ is okay. There really isn’t anything to hide.

Posted: 26 April 2011 10:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2011-04-16

Hi

I am not a mason yet, petitioned a lodge and my application was voted at in favor, so i would like to share with you my own thoughts, one of the things I was told during the interview I had with the gentlemen who came to my house was that there is some fees associated with joining masonry, and that I will need to make sure that i can give few hours per month for the lodge, and that one of the principles of masonry is not to cause any distress for the applicants which means if you can not give some time or you can not afford to join you should not, or you should prepare your self first and than join, now with that being said I want you to know that I am not trying to convince you to join at all it should be something from your own will and accord, but have you ever seen a mason asking another man to join masonry probably not and that is because masonry does not want quantity but wants quality :-p now this is my opinion about those people saying bad things about masonry, there probably people who petitioned the lodge and got rejected and that is why there spreading rumors or simply they do not know what they are talking about it is so simple you do not like masonry do not join you like masonry your welcome to petition but before deciding whether you want to join or not make sure to know what masonry is, I believe lots of people in here will private you to answer your questions and simply enlighten you on what masonry is but trust me no one is going to ask you to join and if you decide to join lots of guys from your area will guide you in the right direction one more thing :-p I am not afraid of joining i was told what to expect but i am still nervous my initiation date is jun 13th.

Posted: 27 April 2011 03:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  941
Joined  2011-03-20

Hello a Son of Liberty,

You, I suspect, are falling prey to the same kind of belief that some conspiracy theorists have that a few hundred Internet users shows a huge movement of conspiracy theorists.

Most conspiracy theorists (even the ones making lots of money from it) are what I would call “armchair warriors”, they are able to talk the talk when in front of their own personal cyber all-seeing eye out to the world but when actually confronted with reality they do not walk the walk as their little cyber fantasies can’t bear up to the light of day and are shown as the daydreams they really are.

Anyway, you’ve come to a Forum where you can find out about Freemasonry from Freemasons. So come on make use of the opportunity and ask some questions.

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 27 April 2011 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-01-20

Fortunately, at least up to now, our enemies have fought a battle of words. As said before, the vast majority of these people will post something hateful on a web site like facebook under an assumed name and then go scurrying back to the hole they crawled out of. I’m not afraid of cowards like that. In fact, they are hardly worth notice. I’ll let my actions and the actions of those that came before me speak for the Fraternity and what we stand for.

I did read something troubling, though. It seems Freemasonry has recently been named an enemy of Islam by Al Qaeda. There has been a jump in the posts from middle eastern sounding named people being critical of the Craft. Most of the Masons who have answered these posts have gently corrected the misconceptions presented but sometimes people don’t want to be confused by the facts.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 27 April 2011 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4033
Joined  2007-09-27
windrider - 27 April 2011 09:23 AM

It seems Freemasonry has recently been named an enemy of Islam by Al Qaeda.

Well, being an enemy of Al Qaeda is an honor if you ask me!

As for the conspiracy theorists….I’m not scared.  I find it funny for the most part.

You mentioned having someone in your area contact you about having a conversation about Masonry.  That MIGHT happen, but I wouldn’t wait for it if I were you.  I don’t know that any of the participants on this site are from the lodge in your area.

You are always welcome to use the find a lodge near you feature at the top of this page and reach out to your nearest lodge, telling them you’d like to find out more about our fraternity.  You are also always welcome to post your questions here if you like, or send a PM to one of us with specific questions.  We’ll be happy to help you out.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Senior Deacon, Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 27 April 2011 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  941
Joined  2011-03-20
windrider - 27 April 2011 09:23 AM

I did read something troubling, though. It seems Freemasonry has recently been named an enemy of Islam by Al Qaeda. There has been a jump in the posts from middle eastern sounding named people being critical of the Craft. Most of the Masons who have answered these posts have gently corrected the misconceptions presented but sometimes people don’t want to be confused by the facts.

Harun Yahya has been writing anti-Masonic balderdash for years now, he basically re-hashes what the RC church wrote 200 years ago and sells it to poor mislead Muslims as a new and radical truth about Freemasonry.

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 27 April 2011 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-04-26

Zoffy - Im a very private person, sometimes secretive.. but i have nothing to hide. Thanks for the kind words and speedy reply. I hope we can talk more about the paranormal, and conspiracies. fun topics.

Yasser - Good luck with your endeavors. 2011 should be a great year for you.

Mike - I don’t fall prey to anything, i see what goes on around me. I always build a house with 4 walls. What i know is, “i don’t know”... never made any conclusions. Just was never one to automatically believe the rumors of the unknown. Does this even make any sense? x.X I rather have a conversation than ask. Thanks for the reply. I hope we meet again.

Windrider - exactly my point of my question… I been watching this conspiracy grow since 2002, and it has spread worldwide. Now you have ‘people’ that don’t know too much about the States or freemasonry as it is, thinking the freemasons are running the show from behind the curtains. It’s quite serious in my opinion.

Dan - Having no enemies would be an honor… and if you think these people are funny, you got one sense of humor! Though i disagree, I appreciate the reply.

Cheers
John

Posted: 27 April 2011 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-01-20
ASonOfLiberty - 27 April 2011 05:06 PM

[snip]

Mike - I don’t fall prey to anything, i see what goes on around me. I always build a house with 4 walls. What i know is, “i don’t know”... never made any conclusions. Just was never one to automatically believe the rumors of the unknown. Does this even make any sense? x.X I rather have a conversation than ask. Thanks for the reply. I hope we meet again.

I hope that house has a door and some windows or it might be hard to get out of and grow rather stuffy :)

Windrider - exactly my point of my question… I been watching this conspiracy grow since 2002, and it has spread worldwide. Now you have ‘people’ that don’t know too much about the States or freemasonry as it is, thinking the freemasons are running the show from behind the curtains. It’s quite serious in my opinion.

I wish you had come right out and asked it then. The Seal of the Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts carries the words, “Follow Reason”. Masons have been attacked for hundreds of years from all sorts of people. Some have done it for money. Others have attacked us because they believed we were a threat to their power. Still others have attacked us because we keep certain things private and they just can’t stand to not know.

I believe that where ever freedom of thought and religion are rights, Freemasonry flourishes. When a people are told what to think and believe by their government, Freemasonry is inevitably banned and derided. A cursory study of history relating to this will prove the point. Freemasons had representative government of their lodges and Grand Lodges before even the US. Freemasons had the concept of “one man, one vote” and equality of every man long before these rights were written by our founding fathers. In fact, many of them got the ideas for this country’s government because they were Freemasons.

Dan - Having no enemies would be an honor… and if you think these people are funny, you got one sense of humor! Though i disagree, I appreciate the reply.

Cheers
John

Dan has seen this kind of thing over and over and knows whereof he speaks.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 27 April 2011 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  109
Joined  2011-04-03

Windrider - exactly my point of my question… I been watching this conspiracy grow since 2002, and it has spread worldwide.

“Since 2002?” You of course realize that antiMasonic sentiment has pretty much existed as long as we have, but out of curiosity, are you referring to the time you STARTED watching, or a particular event?

Now you have ‘people’ that don’t know too much about the States or freemasonry as it is, thinking the freemasons are running the show from behind the curtains. It’s quite serious in my opinion.

It’s only serious when they decide to stop saying and start doing. Until then, our actions are going to speak louder than their words every time.

Posted: 28 April 2011 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-04-26

Marshall - Im only 24 years of age. So back n 2002 I was probably only 15-16 years old. So yes i started watching then. Though 2002 may not seem to long ago for many of you. I was just a young man, seeking knowledge about everything and anything

(I’m still seeking)

Posted: 28 April 2011 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4033
Joined  2007-09-27
windrider - 27 April 2011 09:48 PM

Cheers
John

Dan has seen this kind of thing over and over and knows whereof he speaks.

Morticians have their little jokes that allow them to tolerate the work that they do.  Most of us would find these jokes unsettling.

Much in the same sense, I can choose to let silly misconceptions about Freemasonry bother me, or I can be entertained by it.  It’s a way of keeping my sanity.  Plus as was stated, I’ve seen it time and time again.  When you’ve been accused of conspiring with Jay-Z and Laura Bush to overthrow the US government with secret messages hidden in Taco Bel wrappers for the 342nd time…..you have no choice but to be amused.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Senior Deacon, Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

1 of 4

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.5683 seconds.