Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

March 31st 3rd Degree @ Mt. Holyoke Lodge
Posted: 01 April 2011 06:06 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2011-03-26

I was raised a Master Mason in the 27th District Mt. Holyoke Lodge in South Hadley, MA last night. It was truly an enlightening and very special experience that I will never forget. I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you to all the officers and brothers that were present and a thank you to all the officers who participated in the degree work. They all did a fantastic job and I am proud to have gone through the degrees at Mt. Holyoke Lodge and I look forward to signing the by-laws! Also, a huge thank you goes out to Ray LeClair for all his work with me that enabled us to exemplify a certain 2nd degree discussion before the Lodge opened on the 3rd degree.

-Bro. Timothy Barnum Riley
27th District Mt. Holyoke Lodge A.F. & A.M.

Posted: 01 April 2011 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2009-09-20

A very big congrats to you!  I will be going through the 3rd degree myself on May 5th.  I wish you well on your Masonic journey.

Signature 

Eric Gagne

Columbian Lodge A.F.& A.M. Boston, MA
Junior Warden, Celestial Lodge A.F.& A.M. Westwood, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
St. Paul’s Royal Arch Chapter Boston, MA
Boston Council of Royal and Select Masters Boston, MA
Boston Commandery #2 Boston, MA

Posted: 01 April 2011 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2011-01-18

brother tim b riley congrats on being raised to the sublime deg of a mastermason.

good luck on your new journey. all of us brothers on this forum went though the same thing the mastermason deg

is a very truly moving experince for all masons

congrats brother!

Posted: 01 April 2011 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-03-26

Thank you all! My experiences thus far have been ones that I will never forget, but always remember and always hold close to my heart. I cannot wait to get more knowledge as I progress in my life as a Master Mason, and one day, possibly an officer.

Posted: 01 April 2011 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2011-01-18

brother riley i my self the year after i got raised my lodge put me in a chair right away i was j steward
and i had fun being an officer for the first time i have been a mason for 3 years now and i am still learing
new things now i am a officer once again i am j deacon. but take your time and enjoy!

Posted: 01 April 2011 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-03-26

Mark, thank you for the insight. I have my entire life ahead of me to enjoy the masonic experience, and one day I do hope to progress on “the line.”!

Posted: 01 April 2011 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  400
Joined  2011-03-17

Congratulations Brother. At a regular communication meeting, don’t be apprehensive to volunteer for a vacant officers chair to get your feet wet. That is, of course, if that is proper in your Lodge. Ask the Master or a senior member.

Signature 

Jay Mathis
Past Master
Tuckerton Lodge # 4 F&AM;
Tuckerton, NJ

Posted: 01 April 2011 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  783
Joined  2007-03-18

This is a great thread brothers. I would like to add one comment, as both a Forum Administrator and a Past Master of my Lodge:

Freemasonry helped to develop (some even say invent) the idea of the volunteer organization. It was certainly that way in the early days of America. But the idea that remains today is this: You don’t have to volunteer to do anything in Freemasonry, or any volunteer organization. But if you do volunteer, your brothers will expect you to do what you say you are going to do. And that’s huge. If you tell your Brothers you’re going to be at the Blood Drive at 9 a.m., you have a Masonic obligation to be there

I encourage anyone who joins Freemasonry to get involved. Volunteer. And get in line if you have the desire. But…

If you decide to get in Line, you are looking at a commitment to your brothers of years of hard work—with ample rewards, yes—but years of hard work nevertheless. Years of sacrifices. Making the commitment to go into the Line is different than say, joining an appendant body and paying the dues.

The Line is a multi-year commitment that defines who you are as a Mason and as a Person. You are saying, “Yes, I want to work my way up to be Master of this Lodge, to have and to hold everything that that entails.” In my mind, it is one of life’s greatest challenges—and (as I will attest) one of of its greatest achievements.

If you decide to get in Line, you will get all the support of the Brethren, the other Officers, and the Past Masters. But it comes with one incumbency—that you keep your word.

Bob Heruska
Boston, MA

Signature 

Bob Heruska
Past Master
Columbian Lodge
Boston, MA

Member of the York Rite, Scottish Rite, and the Mystic Shrine.

Posted: 02 April 2011 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2079
Joined  2008-01-21

I am delighted to hear of your raising. And I am also delighted to hear of your desire to serve our craft as an officer. All Masons need to understand, that the privilege of receiving Master’s wages, is earned by laboring in our quarries. I have never had the honor of serving as an officer in a Craft lodge (yet). I have been deeply honored to serve in leadership positions in the appendant bodies. Your obligation to Masonry does not end, with the writing of your dues check. When you contribute some “sweat equity”, your Masonic experience will be enhanced.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 02 April 2011 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2007-10-29

Congrats brother

Signature 

EA: 3/14/11
FC: 4/11/11
MM: 5/23/11

Posted: 02 April 2011 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-03-26

I knew coming into the fraternity that it would be a lifelong commitment to not only my brothers, but to myself. It’s great to be in a lodge where ancient rituals & practices are being carried on timelessly. It’s also great to be in the company of some of the friendliest and most welcoming men I have ever met. I do look forward to being appointed to the line, and I do look forward to serving my duties as an officer by showing my suitable proficiency in open lodge when the time comes. Ritual takes a lot of memorization and understanding, but I think we can all agree that it is something truly worth taking the time to learn and carry on. Thanks to all of you for the congratulations and the tips. I will take them to heart.

—Bro. Timothy Barnum Riley
27th District Mt. Holyoke Lodge A.F. & A.M.
Raised 3/31/2011.

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4135 seconds.