3 of 4
Submitted my petition
Posted: 14 June 2011 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2011-04-04
Jay Mathis - 14 June 2011 09:35 PM
REYoung - 14 June 2011 09:16 PM

Mking, I’m delighted to hear that you will be able to get started with the EA degree before fall. On the other hand, I’m a bit disappointed that I won’t be able to come and watch it. I’m the WM of my lodge (Liberty-Pickering #219) and since we are the Grand Master’s lodge, we have the honor (!?) of opening the Grand Lodge Summer School of Instruction at the Grand Lodge Building in Cockeysville, receiving the GM, doing the entire EA degree from start to finish, including the catechism, and closing lodge. All this under the eagle eye of the Grand Lecturer, who will correct any error, for the instruction of the brothers attending. I will be acting as WM that evening. Since you will be an Entered Apprentice by then and the whole evening will be in that degree, you can attend if you have a master mason accompanying you to vouch for you. It’s on Tues. July 12 starting at 7:00 pm. We should close by 9:30. My officers and I are rehearsing every Monday (at least) until then so that we will have it as correct as we can, which is why I can’t make it to your initiation. I hope you will try to come to the Summer School July 12 so I can meet you, and you can watch this old geezer and his officers do their best to demonstrate the correct work. (Actually, most of us are quite good, to say the least.) It will be an interesting experience for you. Hope to see you then.

MKing,
I highly recommend that you take advantage of Brother Young’s invitation. Experiencing a Grand Lodge of Instruction is an awesome experience. I went to my first one two years after I was raised and have gone every year since. Going as an EA would be an honor and being invited by the Worshipful Master; an additional honor. You will be amazed to see all the knowledge in the room, but especially impressed by the proficiency of Brother Young’s line. I wish you the best Brother Young; have fun teaching the instruction team.

Fraternally, Jay.

I second Bro. Jay. That sounds like a wonderful opportunity!

Posted: 15 June 2011 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2009-09-20
zoffy - 14 June 2011 11:05 PM
Jay Mathis - 14 June 2011 09:35 PM

Mking, I’m delighted to hear that you will be able to get started with the EA degree before fall. On the other hand, I’m a bit disappointed that I won’t be able to come and watch it. I’m the WM of my lodge (Liberty-Pickering #219) and since we are the Grand Master’s lodge, we have the honor (!?) of opening the Grand Lodge Summer School of Instruction at the Grand Lodge Building in Cockeysville, receiving the GM, doing the entire EA degree from start to finish, including the catechism, and closing lodge. All this under the eagle eye of the Grand Lecturer, who will correct any error, for the instruction of the brothers attending. I will be acting as WM that evening. Since you will be an Entered Apprentice by then and the whole evening will be in that degree, you can attend if you have a master mason accompanying you to vouch for you. It’s on Tues. July 12 starting at 7:00 pm. We should close by 9:30. My officers and I are rehearsing every Monday (at least) until then so that we will have it as correct as we can, which is why I can’t make it to your initiation. I hope you will try to come to the Summer School July 12 so I can meet you, and you can watch this old geezer and his officers do their best to demonstrate the correct work. (Actually, most of us are quite good, to say the least.) It will be an interesting experience for you. Hope to see you then.

MKing,
I highly recommend that you take advantage of Brother Young’s invitation. Experiencing a Grand Lodge of Instruction is an awesome experience. I went to my first one two years after I was raised and have gone every year since. Going as an EA would be an honor and being invited by the Worshipful Master; an additional honor. You will be amazed to see all the knowledge in the room, but especially impressed by the proficiency of Brother Young’s line. I wish you the best Brother Young; have fun teaching the instruction team.

Fraternally, Jay.

I second Bro. Jay. That sounds like a wonderful opportunity!

MKing,
That is a very nice invitation from brother REYoung.  I hope you end up taking his invite.  It sounds great!  Enjoy the experience.

Signature 

Eric Gagne

Columbian Lodge A.F.& A.M. Boston, MA
Junior Warden, Celestial Lodge A.F.& A.M. Westwood, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
St. Paul’s Royal Arch Chapter Boston, MA
Boston Council of Royal and Select Masters Boston, MA
Boston Commandery #2 Boston, MA

Posted: 15 June 2011 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2011-03-30

Yes WM Young, I would be honored to attend. I will ask a MM at our lodge here if he will be willing to accompany me. I greatly appreciate this opportunity!, thank you.

Signature 

M. King
M.M. @ Columbia Lodge #58 AF&AM;

Posted: 19 June 2011 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-03-30

Initiation tomorrow night! I will keep you all posted!
:-)

Signature 

M. King

Posted: 20 June 2011 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-03-30

Initiation was amazing! Not at all what I expected, and all of it took me by surprise. There is so much to take in, and so much to study up on. Obviously, being new… I didn’t understand a lot of what was going on, but I can’t wait to learn all of it.

Signature 

M. King

Posted: 21 June 2011 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2080
Joined  2008-01-21

Your lodge should assign you a coach/mentor/instructor, to assist you in understanding the lessons of each degree. Your Grand Lodge may have a “monitor”, which is a book, with illustrations and explanations of the various degrees. The lessons taught are not secret: friendship, morality, brotherly love,etc.

I suggest that you contact some nearby lodges, and see if any are performing an EA degree. You can then visit, and observe the degree work, from the sidelines, and this will help you understand the procedures much better.

Welcome to Freemasonry!

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 21 June 2011 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2009-09-20

MKing25 congrats on starting your Masonic journey!  Keep us updated on your progress.

Signature 

Eric Gagne

Columbian Lodge A.F.& A.M. Boston, MA
Junior Warden, Celestial Lodge A.F.& A.M. Westwood, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
St. Paul’s Royal Arch Chapter Boston, MA
Boston Council of Royal and Select Masters Boston, MA
Boston Commandery #2 Boston, MA

Posted: 21 June 2011 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2011-03-17

Congratulations Brother King.

Jay

Signature 

Jay Mathis
Past Master
Tuckerton Lodge # 4 F&AM;
Tuckerton, NJ

Posted: 28 June 2011 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-03-30

Thank you Brothers Jay, Eric, and Charles. I will definitely keep you all posted on my Masonic journey. However, I have been worrying about something that I would really like your opinions on.

As you all can see on my profile, I am an HVAC technician. My career requires a lot of my time. I was fully aware, while applying at my lodge, that this would also require a lot my time.

My lodge would like my class (5, including me) to be ready by September to take the EA Catechism.
It is a possibility that I could fall behind due to my career. Would this be frowned upon? What are your opinions in this?

I want to be fully devoted to my lodge, and improving myself in Masonry.
I will do everything in my power to prevent this…. but work comes first.

Thank you.

Signature 

M. King

Posted: 28 June 2011 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-03-17
MKing25 - 28 June 2011 08:12 PM

Thank you Brothers Jay, Eric, and Charles. I will definitely keep you all posted on my Masonic journey. However, I have been worrying about something that I would really like your opinions on.

As you all can see on my profile, I am an HVAC technician. My career requires a lot of my time. I was fully aware, while applying at my lodge, that this would also require a lot my time.

My lodge would like my class (5, including me) to be ready by September to take the EA Catechism.
It is a possibility that I could fall behind due to my career. Would this be frowned upon? What are your opinions in this?

I want to be fully devoted to my lodge, and improving myself in Masonry.
I will do everything in my power to prevent this…. but work comes first.

Thank you.

My Brother,

I have also been involved in the HVAC field and I know exactly what you are feeling.
I have learned to make the time, it is a very tedious process.
Be honest with your superiors and let them know when you are scheduled
for classes, degrees, and fundraisers. Get back up from other men in the
company to cover you if you happen to be on call during a Lodge event.
Inform the answering service that it may take you up to an hour to get back to them.
There are always refreshments and short breaks during a meeting when you
can make that returned phone call. Any HVAC emergency can be handled by a simple
phone call to make the customer feel at ease. Remember heat is an emergency,
A/C is a luxury. Once your employer sees how dedicated you have become
to freemasonry, an he wants to keep his good employee, he will be understanding
or I would be looking for another employer. Don’t forget, family comes first, vocations
come second, and Freemasonry comes third. About your question concerning learning
the material to prove your proficiency, since I joined the fraternity in 2002,
I have memorized the complete NJ Blue Lodge Ritual while I was commuting to
and from work,going from service call to service call, and minor practices in the Lodge room.
Lastly, but probably most important, don’t forget the wife or significant other;
they need your time also. Nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it and you
receive a little bit of support. Communication is key.

Fraternally,

Jay

Signature 

Jay Mathis
Past Master
Tuckerton, NJ

Posted: 28 June 2011 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-03-30

Thank you Jay, I am glad you understand where I’m coming from. This is a big help. I will talk to my mentor as well, and see what he thinks.

Because you have been in the same line of work, and possibly the same situation, what is your take on this?
—One of the big things that I am worried about is, our classes will be at (or around) 6:30pm most nights, ... what if I am still working? and cant make it there in time?? I would hate to fall behind like that, you know?

Signature 

M. King

Posted: 28 June 2011 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-03-17
MKing25 - 28 June 2011 09:33 PM

Thank you Jay, I am glad you understand where I’m coming from. This is a big help. I will talk to my mentor as well, and see what he thinks.

Because you have been in the same line of work, and possibly the same situation, what is your take on this?
—One of the big things that I am worried about is, our classes will be at (or around) 6:30pm most nights, ... what if I am still working? and cant make it there in time?? I would hate to fall behind like that, you know?

It depends if you are in service, installation, or management.
If you’re in service, treat it as a service call and go to you
next call after the practice.
If you are in installation, get ready the night before and
hustle to get the job done.
If management, adjust your schedule and let the office staff know
your personal commitments.
A furnace and A/C change-out is 2 men 9 hours
An attic job is 2 days and no manager should make you
stay up there after 5 PM.
Learn the material on your own time and the classes will be a bonus.
It’s all time management. Work comes first, but don’t forget, you
have your own life too. All HVAC employees should be as dedicated
as you!
Jay

Signature 

Jay Mathis
Past Master
Tuckerton, NJ

Posted: 28 June 2011 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-03-30

Okay, I will do my best.
Thank you very much for your help, I greatly appreciate it.

Signature 

M. King

Posted: 29 June 2011 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  677
Joined  2009-11-18

Michael, I wouldn’t be terribly worried if I were you. Firstly, the instructors and officers of your lodge realize that men have their work to consider in planning their time. Secondly, here in MD, we don’t generally consider proficiencies to be a no. 1 priority. It has its importance yes; it is a requirement, but we aren’t going to break anyone’s back over it.

We now have, in MD, a cipher book for each of the three catechisms. We use them in our lodge. The candidates all get together with an instructor; he hands out a book to each, and then explains how to understand it. Each then takes his book home and has a means of learning the catechism on his own, whenever he has time. They get together usually several times a week, to go over it. Our men are consistently learning the EA catechism in two weeks or less. I presume that your lodge will make the cipher book available to you. It’s the best thing the Grand Lodge has done in a century so far as regards the catechism.

Incidentally, I again invite you to the Summer School of Instruction on July 12 at 7:00 pm if you can make it (you’ll need to bring someone to vouch for you). We’ll be opening the EA in the long form, receiving the MWGM and his line, and exemplifying the entire EA degree, using the new format for multiple candidates at the same time. (My officers and I just learned this the other night from our Dep. Gr. Lecturer.) You’ll fine this interesting. You’ll also hear the catechism done.

Signature 

Liberty Pickering Lodge #219, Baltimore MD
Druid RA Chapter #28, Baltimore
Hiram Council #5 R&SM;, Baltimore
Monumental Commandery #3, Baltimore
Harrisburg Consistory AASR, Harrisburg, PA

Posted: 21 November 2011 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-03-30

Hello again everyone. I’m sorry I haven’t been updating this thread. Once I get sucked in to the vortex of life, I tend to lose track of a lot.
The EA proficiency was great, my whole group and I did very well. We stand proficiency TONIGHT on the 2nd degree catechism! It’s all flying by and I am enjoying every minute of it.

Signature 

M. King

3 of 4

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.5776 seconds.