Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Becoming a Freemason
Posted: 19 February 2008 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-02-19

I have always been great at debating issues and have always been interested in the Freemasons, but did not know if there were any qualifications?

Posted: 19 February 2008 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  791
Joined  2007-03-18

Grant

Generally, the only requirements in Massachusetts are that a man be at least 18 years of age, of good character, and believe in a supreme being.

If you meet those requirement, you just have to “ask.” You can go to the Lodge Finder on this site and find the one closest to your town—there should be a contact listed. If you can’t find anyone, let me know.

You can also check out a lot of the extended answers in other parts of this forum, but if you have those basics down, you should be all set.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Bob

Signature 

Bob Heruska
Past Master
Columbian Lodge
Boston, MA

Member of the York Rite, Scottish Rite, and the Mystic Shrine.

Posted: 04 March 2008 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-03-04

When you say “believe in a supreme being” what do you mean?

Posted: 05 March 2008 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-02-27

Supreme Being is that of a higher power.  That depends on your religious background.  For some it’s God, for another its Buddha.  It all depends on the person.

Posted: 07 March 2008 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2087
Joined  2008-01-21

An individual’s definition of a Supreme Being, varies with the individual.  In order to petition (apply for) Masonic membership, a man must profess faith in a Supreme Being. How he defines this, is a matter for the individual conscience. Masonry accepts into membership, men of many different and varying religious beliefs and experiences.  The individual religious practices and beliefs of each individual Mason, are a matter of extreme privacy, and are of no concern to Masonry. Only an avowed atheist cannot be made a Mason.

When in lodge, you may be sitting next to a Roman Catholic, two chairs down the man may be a Protestant. The man behind you might be a Mormon. I once assisted a Muslim in the masonic ceremony, to be made a mason. I held his hands on the Holy Qu’Ran, and he was thence made a Mason. I consider this to be one of the high points of my entire Masonic career.  I now live in Iraq, and on our altar, in the center of our lodge, the Holy Bible and the Holy Qu’Ran both rest side by side. Masonry does not teach that all religions are equal. Masonry teaches that all MEN are created equal. 

If you wish to participate in an organization, where freedom of conscience is paramount, and each individual is encouraged to seek out and enhance his religious experience, then Masonry might be right for you. I encourage you to continue your research. Masonry is a not a secret organization, and always invites serious inquiries.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

‹‹ Becoming a member      IF ››

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.2606 seconds.