Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Is it him or me?
Posted: 02 March 2011 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-03-01

My husband recently become a Freemason (so he says as i have not seen any papers )but didn’t tell me until after the fact. Now, he is constantly saying people are following him and me around and spying and watching us through our T.V., radio and cell and home phones. Also and has hacked through our computer. So he refused to talk about anything in front of them. He doesn’t let me walk around in the house in my long nightgown cause he says people can see me through our TV. He says he does this because it is the life of a Mason and I need to respect the Masons. I am thinking it is a bit of Paranoia. He says that people everywhere knows him really well cause he is a Mason, mainly people of high status (i.e. news reporters, radio d.j’s and church leaders all of whom he have never met) in the City that we live. He says that I am naive and ignorant cause I won’t believe people are watching us through the TV and sending us signs and signals. When I ask him to provide me some proof that he is a Mason, he says that is something that they just don’t show their spouses. He says that something is wrong with me cause I wont believe him. In all, i think that him saying he is a Mason is just as real as the so called people that are supposedly looking at us through our T.V. It is all in his mind.

So, I am reaching out to other experienced Masons to see if I am wrong. Am I? Thanks for listening.

Posted: 02 March 2011 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4055
Joined  2007-09-27

If he were a Freemason, this would not be the cause for that kind of behavior.  Freemasons are more than happy to share that information with their spouses.  The things your husband are referring to sound like some kind of fictional reality that he’s created in his mind.  Freemasonry is a fraternal organization dedicated to improving ourselves and helping others.  We do not try to control the world of watch people through their televisions (that isn’t even possible).

My guess is that there are other issues here.  That kind of behavior is almost a TEXTBOOK indication of some level of paranoid schitzophrenia.  I’m not a mental health professional though, and getting mentally ill people to seek treatment is difficult, but he obviously needs help.

Best of luck to you and please be safe.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 02 March 2011 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2010-11-18

Dear Curious,
I’m sorry to tell you that, as I’m sure you suspect, your husband has a problem.  When I entered Masonry, I was given my Masonic apron.  My wife has seen that.  When I was raised as a Master Mason, I was given a certificate to signify the event.  It is hanging on the wall of my home office for all to see.

There is no secret in letting the world, or your wife and family, know you are a Freemason.

I’m no professional, but the things you are describing suggest that your husband is suffering from paranoia.  You should seek professional help.  I wish you good luck.

Posted: 02 March 2011 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2011-02-19

I’m sorry to say none of that stuff happens. At least not for Masons. The government maybe… But I doubt they gain any real knowledge from seeing you in your night gown. A good portion of the “mystery” to Freemasons are recent movies… National Treasure, Davinci Code. There are several documentaries on the history channel. I can’t confirm or deny anything they say about masons because I have only seen national Treasure once and only one or two documentaries. I bring this up because it does create a “paranoia”. It’s funny you bring this up as I am finishing up a course on psychology. It may or may not be a serious problem, but I do suggest finding a credible person for him to talk to. You might be surprised how much it can/will help. Good Luck

Posted: 02 March 2011 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-03-01

Thank you Mr. Madore, Tom and Mr. Jacobs for your reply and suggestions. Last week I have consulted with a professional mental health expert and he did agree to go to him. I just want my husband to get help and to stop saying that all the things that I described here in my last post are the way they are is because he is a Mason.

Thank you so much.

Posted: 03 March 2011 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4055
Joined  2007-09-27

OK,I’m going to go ahead and lock this thread down.  The original poster now knows that her husbands claims are most likely a result of an illness, and are not associated with membership in Freemasonry.  Thanks to everyone for their input, and to the original poster, best of luck with your husband and his condition.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4618 seconds.