Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Questions about Freemasonry and Polytheism/Mormonism, from a former Mormon.
Posted: 25 February 2011 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-02-25

Hello,
  I have read that one of the requirements of Freemasonry is to believe in a Supreme Being.  I am a very spiritual person, but I believe that there are many Gods.  Are there any restrictions for those that have polytheistic practices? 

I have been asked no less than three times in the last six or seven years, “Why are you not a Freemason?” 

I was married for ten years.  My wife was born and raised Mormon, and I joined her church.  I was baptized, took out my endowments, and I was sealed in a Mormon temple. We divorced in 2004.

In that time I read in their doctrines about avoiding “Organizations of Man” and, “Secret Combinations”.  Through some research, I learned of a story that told of the founders of the Mormon church may have been Freemasons, but were “kicked out”, for lack of a better term, and that the Mormon church was founded using rites they learned as Freemasons.  Although, Freemasonry was never directly cited as one of the things to be avoided, it seems like pretty simple math to me.

I am interested, and believe in what the Freemasons stand for, but confused about the propaganda in the media.  My mind tells me the Freemasonry is a good thing, but my instincts make me wary of the “works of men”.

Can you help?

Sincerely,

KK

Posted: 25 February 2011 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4081
Joined  2007-09-27

With regards to polytheism, or the belief in multiple Gods…..Freemasonry does tend to be comprised mostly of monotheistic men.  That being said, there are plenty of Hindu Masons, and in the Hindu religion, although ultimately there is one God, there are millions of gods associated.

So….the line is blurry…but the thing about Masonry is that we strive to bring men together despite their differences.  Therefore we don’t go into matters of religion.  You are required to believe in a higher power/supreme being.  You are asked when you join if you believe in God.  If you answer yes, then you have met that requirement, and you are never asked to clarify your beliefs.

With regard to the practice some churches have of discouraging Freemasonry, I can only say that this is due to misinformation and a lack of knowledge.  I have never seen anything in Freemasonry that would ever interfere with any duty you owe to God, your country, your family or yourself.

There are many falsehoods told about us, so I commend you for asking us directly.  We’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have.  I also suggest reading such books as “Freemasons for Dummies” and “American Freemasons” by Mark Tabbert.  Really informative stuff there about the fraternity.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 25 February 2011 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-02-25

Thank you Sir, for your reply.  It’s funny that I am right at this moment chatting with a good friend, who I am not surprised to learn he is a Mason.  I am going to go to the local lodge and ask to join.  My friend has offered to be a reference for me.

Sincerely,

KK

Posted: 25 February 2011 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2011-01-01

Based on some of the readings I have reviewed Joseph Smith was a Freemason, not sure if he was kicked out prior to his death.

Signature 

EA - 12/30/2010
FC - 3/10/2011
MM - 4/21/2011
Grand Lodge of Texas

Posted: 25 February 2011 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2084
Joined  2008-01-21

Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum Smith were both Freemasons. Brigham Young, and many of the Mormon founders were Freemasons. There is a very good reason, why Utah is nicknamed the “Beehive State”!

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 25 February 2011 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2011-02-13

Yes, and I’ve read that they were kicked out for making women and children masons.  Don’t know if it’s true, but that’s what I’ve read.  Also that some of the masonic rituals were adopted into the mormon religion.

Signature 

Kevin Kelly, PM
Fernley Lodge #34, F.&A.M.
Fernley, NV

Posted: 27 February 2011 06:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2084
Joined  2008-01-21

The history of the Mormon church, is “uneven” at best. Joseph Smith was indeed a Mason, at the time of his death. The legend is that he gave a Masonic “distress call” when he was pushed out the window, in Carthage Illinois. The endowment ceremonies in the LDS temple, are indeed based on Freemasonry. You can read more about it in “No man knows my history”, an unauthorized biography of Joseph Smith. The title is an understatement.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 27 February 2011 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-02-08

Seeing that I am not a Mason (yet, that is, my petition was submitted last week), perhaps I should not comment on this thread, but I do not feel comfortable with the direction this is heading.  Since I am LDS (Mormon), it would sadden me to see this turn into bashing the Mormon religion.  If I am to understand correctly, fellow Masons should only be concerned with one’s belief in a Supreme Being.  We shouldn’t concern ourselves with their personal religious beliefs and we should reserve negative comments as well.  What Mormons do, or do not, believe is irrelevant when it comes to Freemasonry.  The fact they believe in a Supreme Being is the only part that matters.

Posted: 27 February 2011 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  790
Joined  2007-03-18

Pioneer you are correct. When a man petitions Freemasonry he is asked if he believes in a Supreme Being and that’s it.

I think it’s fine to answer a question about whether Smith was a Freemason or not, but I think we are getting a bit beyond this forum to go into too much further discussion.

I do not think anyone here was purposely bashing the Mormon faith, but the purpose of this Forum is to help put hearsay to rest, not advance it, so unless anyone thinks there is a reason not to close this thread I will be closing it later this evening.

Thanks to everyone for their participation

Bob Heruska
Forum Administrator.

Signature 

Bob Heruska
Past Master
Columbian Lodge
Boston, MA

Member of the York Rite, Scottish Rite, and the Mystic Shrine.

Posted: 28 February 2011 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27

I don’t see anything in this thread that took any sort of position on the church JC of LDS.  One member made a comment about the history of the Mormons to be “uneven”, but of course the same can be said of Freemasonry.

Likewise the unauthorized biography comment was just an opinion about the book.  I didn’t see anything there putting down Mormons.

You are right that we are not here to discuss specific Mormon beliefs.  However, there is a strong tie between the origins of the Mormon religion and Freemasonry, so some discussion around origins should be separate from theology.  I don’t think anyone brought up the theology.

However, it seems like the original poster’s question was answered, so let’s let this one alone unless there is something specific to add for the original poster’s question.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 28 February 2011 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2011-02-28
Richard Kier - 25 February 2011 11:21 AM

Hello,
  ...  Through some research, I learned of a story that told of the founders of the Mormon church may have been Freemasons, but were “kicked out”, for lack of a better term, and that the Mormon church was founded using rites they learned as Freemasons.  Although, Freemasonry was never directly cited as one of the things to be avoided, it seems like pretty simple math to me.

I am interested, and believe in what the Freemasons stand for, but confused about the propaganda in the media.  My mind tells me the Freemasonry is a good thing, but my instincts make me wary of the “works of men”.

Can you help?

Sincerely,

KK

The Lodge where Joseph Smith was a member was directed to cease work by the Grand Lodge of Illinois.  Neither he nor any of the other members were kicked out of the fraternity.

There are two systems of worship in the LDS Church.  One is what you see in chapels across the world on the Sabbath.  It is Protestant in its appearance, though the sermons are assigned amongst the congregation.

The second area of worship is in the Temple.  There are superficial similarities between the LDS Endowment and the Masonic ritual.  However, the are placed in differing time periods and involve differing committments/obligations.  For a discussion, see the article here:
http://connect2utah.com/search-fulltext?nxd_id=61791 (note this is the second part)

and
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/695265549/A-Mormon-Mason-New-grand-master-is-the-first-in-a-century-who-is-LDS.html

At the murder of Joseph and Hyrum Smith, Joseph is reported to have uttered words “Oh Lord, My God.”  Some argue that those were to constitute a Masonic distress call.  Whether they did or whether Joseph was indeed importuning G-d, I suggest no one on this side of the veil can tell. 

While at one time there was a great deal of antipathy between the LDS Church and the Fraternity (the Utah Grand Lodge formally forbade Latter-day Saints to join from 1925-1984), this appears to have changed, with an openly LDS Grand Master having been installed in 2008.  See the above articles. 

It is also worthwhile to remember that few on this board can speak authoritatively on subjects, but give their own opinions and understanding based upon their experience and knowledge. 

Good luck in your search for Light.

Signature 

F&AM; of Utah
UGLE
AF&AM; of the State of Oklahoma

Posted: 28 February 2011 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27

Welcome to the forum G A Cook, and thanks for an informative post.

G A Cook - 28 February 2011 10:53 AM

It is also worthwhile to remember that few on this board can speak authoritatively on subjects, but give their own opinions and understanding based upon their experience and knowledge. 

Perhaps the most important statement made on this forum!!!!  ;)

Signature 

Dan

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.3062 seconds.