Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

4 of 5
Is this keeping in the tradition of Freemasonry?
Posted: 30 May 2011 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2011-05-30

I am an Ohio Mason

At my Lodge when it comes to the One day class. It depends on the Worshipful Master at the time. Some are for, some are against. I have met one in the Lodge that did the One Day class. From what he has told me he wishes he would have gone the traditional way because there is some much more you can get out of the degrees. Besides the fact that Masonry is experiencing the degrees. theory to practical.

I have been told many of the One Days struggle in learning material since memorization is one of the key roles especially if you wish to go into the line of officers. basic words or phrases that you would need to know just for your exams you would need to also know as an officer.

At my lodge they are more concerned with if your going to go through the time to be a Mason that your gonna stick around after you are raised. They have found most that to the One Day are not regular Lodge goers. And its the regulars that they want to put through the line.

I did the traditional route and have found that it was necessary most because there is a lot to memorize. My personal observation is I would probably expect more dedication out of an traditionalist for that reason.

Signature 

Bro. Gellner

Ohio Mason
Willoughby Lodge #302

EA Degree 03/29/2011
EA Exam   04/26/2011
FC Degree 05/03/2011 *Past Master’s Night* it was an Honor
FC Exam   05/31/2011
MM Degree 06/07/2011
MM Exam   TBA *Lodge will go dark before I can give my exam*

Posted: 04 June 2011 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2011-02-13

Congrats on your upcoming MM degree.  It will be something to remember for the rest of your life.  Depending on the rules in your state, I believe (the proficiency)can be given in a tyled room (in Nevada).  Doesn’t have to be a scheduled meeting.  Not sure though, would have to look at the masonic code.

Signature 

Kevin Kelly, PM
Fernley Lodge #34, F.&A.M.
Fernley, NV

Posted: 04 June 2011 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4087
Joined  2007-09-27
BroGellner - 30 May 2011 02:24 PM

I am an Ohio Mason

At my Lodge when it comes to the One day class. It depends on the Worshipful Master at the time. Some are for, some are against. I have met one in the Lodge that did the One Day class. From what he has told me he wishes he would have gone the traditional way because there is some much more you can get out of the degrees. Besides the fact that Masonry is experiencing the degrees. theory to practical.

I have been told many of the One Days struggle in learning material since memorization is one of the key roles especially if you wish to go into the line of officers. basic words or phrases that you would need to know just for your exams you would need to also know as an officer.

At my lodge they are more concerned with if your going to go through the time to be a Mason that your gonna stick around after you are raised. They have found most that to the One Day are not regular Lodge goers. And its the regulars that they want to put through the line.

I did the traditional route and have found that it was necessary most because there is a lot to memorize. My personal observation is I would probably expect more dedication out of an traditionalist for that reason.

Great points Bro Gellner, I think the two biggest problems with the classes are retention of members and the sheer amount of information being given all at once.  I don’t know more than one or two Masons who are still in my lodge who did the one day class.  The rest just never got into it.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 21 June 2011 12:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-06-20

It seems to me that all these “stunts” to rush people through is part of the reason our fraternity membership is on the decline. We are diluting the very thing we are claiming to be great!

Posted: 21 June 2011 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2377
Joined  2011-01-20
Davidjones201 - 21 June 2011 12:00 AM

It seems to me that all these “stunts” to rush people through is part of the reason our fraternity membership is on the decline. We are diluting the very thing we are claiming to be great!

Massachusetts’ membership is rising. The men who I see joining are people I’m proud to call “brother”.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 21 June 2011 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27
windrider - 21 June 2011 09:00 AM
Davidjones201 - 21 June 2011 12:00 AM

Massachusetts’ membership is rising. The men who I see joining are people I’m proud to call “brother”.

Good point brother.  I’d like to add that Massachusetts’ membership is rising WITHOUT one day classes!

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 03 January 2012 01:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2009-03-29

I have always thought that the one day classes rob a candidate of the experience of being the focus of his lodge’s attention for at least 3 nights. He might be the only candidate or part of a small group—but on the three nights he gets his degrees, the whole lodge will be paying attention to him. The membership will make a special effort to seek out and congratulate the new brother and get to know him.

One day classes result in men returning to the lodge to sit on the sidelines and unless some very good and careful work is done by the lodge leadership, he might never integrate fully into his new lodge.

That’s the danger I see in one day classes. Well, one of them anyway.

Signature 

——
David Riley
Senior Warden, Amicable Lodge, Cambridge, MA.
Scribe, Cambridge Chapter of Royal Arch Masons, Cambridge, MA
A.A.S.R., Valley of Boston

Posted: 03 January 2012 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27

Welcome to the forum, David.  I think your opinion about one day classes is shared with most of the bretheren here in Mass, which is why you don’t see them anymore.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 03 January 2012 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-09-09

I have never seen all three degrees done at one time but I imagin it’s not as rewarding as doing them one at a time and learning the catachisms before moving on to the next degree. If I would have been in your position, I would feel cheated. Taking your time and studing makes you feel like you earned the degree, making it more special to the individual. As to encouraging friends to join, from what I have been taught and studied that is crossing a line. We are not suposed to recurit members; you may ask someone you feel would be a good addition to our brotherhood if they have ever been interested in joining but we are not suposed to go looking for members.

Posted: 03 January 2012 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1466
Joined  2010-11-01

I agree, doing all 3 in one day, cheats the candidate out of the full experience.  As I understand it, the one day classes were more common during WWI and WWI when the men were being sent off to War with the expectation that when they returned, they would be able to go through them again.  Simply my understanding of how it was explained to me and not a claim to documented fact.

Signature 

W:.Paul Hulseapple
Past Master St. Georges Lodge #6
Schenectady, NY
Feliciana Lodge #31
St. Francisville, LA

32°AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
E:. High Priest

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S.

Posted: 03 January 2012 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-27

Gents, let’s try to keep our discussions current.  In this case, the original poster hasn’t been back to this site in a half a year, so no need to bring up old discussions at this point.  I only responded to the recent post in order to welcome a new participant, but we should probably shut this one down and devote our attentions to new questions/topics.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 06 March 2012 11:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2012-03-02

I must say I was definitely entertained with this thread it was a good read. I’ll be sending in my petition in within a few months and in my opinion I’d rather do it traditional and my reasoning is this, say there are 2 people playing a game one thinks about what his next action is and takes his time the other puts in a couple of cheats and wins. Now which one actually learned something, yeah the 2 nd player wins but this is an empty victory there is no real subtance to it. Doing the one day class may give you the title but a title means nothing without the knowledge to go with it.

Signature 

I would rather be hated for who I am then loved for who I’m not
-Curt Cobain

Posted: 13 March 2012 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2011-10-27

I am likely the worst one to voice an opinion considering I have not attained a degree yet ( my 1st is scheduled) but I will say I am glad the lodge that has accepted me is a degree at a time one.

I can not see how one could get anything meaningful from doing all three degrees in one day, also I would imagine if one is too busy to go through the degrees the traditional route that they would be too busy to be active in lodge activity.

Again, I am green at all of this just offering my 2 cents which may be worth just that at this point. Just wanted to give the point of view from one getting ready to go through the degrees and plans on being an active member of my lodge.

Bill

Signature 

Bill L.
Chaplin
Jerusalem Lodge No.104 F & A.M.
Raised: 8/15/2012

Scottish Rite NMJ
Valley of Keene
32nd degree 4/27/2013

Posted: 13 March 2012 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2011-03-17

Bill,
Congratulations on you acceptance into the Fraternity.

Signature 

Jay Mathis
Past Master
Tuckerton Lodge # 4 F&AM;
Tuckerton, NJ

Posted: 14 March 2012 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2011-10-27
Jay Mathis - 13 March 2012 09:46 PM

Bill,
Congratulations on you acceptance into the Fraternity.

Thank you Jay!

It is going to be a long process but well worth it! They set my EA for early May.

I am looking at it as being a year full of great experiences in my Masonic journey I will never forget because my journey to Master Mason will have spanned practically the whole year.

It started in January with my asking to join, February I submitted my petition, March it was accepted, May 1st degree, 2nd mid year then the lodge goes dark, then when the lodge comes back they prepare for my 3rd degree I believe they said late October or November practically the end of year…

I would not want it any other way!  :-)

Bill

Signature 

Bill L.
Chaplin
Jerusalem Lodge No.104 F & A.M.
Raised: 8/15/2012

Scottish Rite NMJ
Valley of Keene
32nd degree 4/27/2013

4 of 5

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4209 seconds.