Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

How Can I Become a Freemason in Indonesia?
Posted: 29 December 2010 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-12-29

Dear Reader,

I am an Indonesian. It is probably common for you to receive this kind of question, but nevertheless I feel the urge to ask these question.

1. Do you know of any Mason Lodge in Indonesia?

2. If there is no Mason Lodge in Indonesia, how can we (Indonesian) join Freemason?Could we start our own Lodge?

3. As I understand, the Freemason ask her members to “be of a good morals and of good reputation”. Does that mean that a member must never have broken a law?Because, in Indonesia, Freemasonry has been declared illegal since a executive order was signed in 1962, but I have learned recently that the law have been repealed in 2000, however the law only state that organization must not be biased nor violent. I am not particularly well informed on freemasonry, but I understand that your organization only allow male members, which is considered a bias in Indonesia. So, in joining the Freemason, would I broke a law, thus canceling my membership?

I thank you for reading this mail.

Posted: 29 December 2010 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1907
Joined  2008-01-21

I am searching on the internet, and I have discovered that there is a “Grand Lodge” that has jurisdiction for Indonesia. This particular grand lodge, is for men and women, so it is not in communication with the Mother Grand Lodge in England. Participation in any lodges under their jurisdiction would therefore be “clandestine and irregular”. You should only participate in Masonic lodges, that are male-only, and are in communications with the Mother Grand Lodge.

There were lodges, in Indonesia, during the colonial times. There was a lodge in Djakarta (Batavia), but it closed in 1962, when Masonry was forbidden.

It is possible to start a lodge. You will need to have some active Masons, and find a Grand Lodge to issue a charter. Freemasonry started all over again in Russia and Eastern Europe, after the collapse of the communist governments in these countries.

Candidates for Freemasonry must be of good moral character. The definition is somewhat “elastic”, it depends on the nature and circumstances of the offense. Brave men kept Freemasonry alive in Nazi Germany, and helped re-establish the Craft in the post-war years.

Freemasonry is a male-only organization. Freemasonic lodges that admit women, are considered “clandestine and irregular”, as I explained. If a man is a Freemason, and he is convicted of a serious crime or felony, he will be expelled from the fraternity.

Nevertheless, I applaud you for your interest in our Craft. I will make some inquiries, and see if there might be a way for you to establish a lodge in your country. You might be able to travel to Thailand or Australia, and petition a lodge in one of these countries.

May the Great Architect of the Universe, guide your steps.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
?? , Afghanistan

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F&AM;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F&AM;)

Posted: 20 March 2011 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-03-20

same as antonius im from indonesia and looking to join. i’ve been searching and couldnt find any. i did heard there was a few but dont know how to contact them.

if you have any info please help :) thanks

Posted: 29 June 2011 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2011-06-29

hey.. me too
I’m from Indonesia, so why dont we get initiated overseas, then after it we back to our country and build the lodge of our own as a branch from UK maybe or what else :D

Posted: 30 June 2011 03:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  753
Joined  2011-03-20

Have a read of this topic: http://www.masonforum.com/viewthread/1471/

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

‹‹ 33 degrees ?      Whats the difference.... ››

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.5633 seconds.