Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

1 of 2
What is the energy of the universe placed at mason disposal?
Posted: 05 June 2019 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2019-04-29

In reading one of the books by
Manly Palmer Hall, I quote ” The day has come when fellow craftsmen must know and apply their knowledge. The lost key to their grade is the mastery of emotion,which places the energy of the universe at their disposal. Man can only expect to be entrusted with great power by proving his ability to use it constructively and selflessly. When the mason learns that the key to the warrior on the block is the proper application of the dynamo of living power, he has learned the mystery of his craft.”
The book is “Lost Keys of Freemasonry” by M.P Hall.
My question is- what is this energy of the universe placed at there disposal? And in which degree do this become applicable?

Posted: 05 June 2019 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2011-11-10

You make the mistake of taking the paragraph at face value; it’s nothing to do with the physical, but all to do with the metaphysical and self development. And it’s applicable to every degree and to everyday life. That’s the problem with reading these types of material without the background of membership and understanding.

Signature 

Richard
UGLE: Craft (PAGDC), Royal Arch (PProvGTreas)
Additional Orders: Mark, RAM, A&AR;, KT, KTP, ROS

Posted: 05 June 2019 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2019-04-29
Richard George - 05 June 2019 03:41 PM

You make the mistake of taking the paragraph at face value; it’s nothing to do with the physical, but all to do with the metaphysical and self development. And it’s applicable to every degree and to everyday life. That’s the problem with reading these types of material without the background of membership and understanding.

So in general everything in Freemasonry is metaphysical and there is nothing physical and the aim of all this teaching is only on morality yet when I see on some books of Albert Pike and Arthur Edward White I see some great wisdom which I thought Freemasonry is after both knowledge, wisdom and higher level of morality. Where does wisdom comes from if there is no any physical teaching…in fact M.P Hall continuous to say that this is when the concept of the light bearer becomes clear.

Posted: 05 June 2019 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2019-01-23

Where does wisdom comes from if there is no any physical teaching

Acquiring wisdom is not inherent in being “taught”.  Wisdom can be acquired through introspection, life experience, self-learning etc.
Have you not “taught” yourself any skills?  Ever simply read a book and acquired knowledge from it? 
Acquiring knowledge and using experience to know when and how to apply that knowledge becomes wisdom.

I would, in my opinion, say that MOST of the teaching in Masonry are metaphysical, insofar as nobody is going to sit you down and give you rote lectures on how-to’s and why-for’s…
However, there are skills you learn in Freemasonry that apply to more than just morality.  If you’re active, interested and ambitious you can learn many life-skills i.e. public speaking, planning and organizational skills, financial management, record-keeping, interpersonal communication etc.
And those are just within the confines of the Masonic traditions. Now if you were to include all the things you’ll potentially learn from your lodge brothers the possibilities are really endless. I’ve learned how to improve my wood-working, mechanic, computer, welding skills to name a few.  Heck, I’ve even learned some tips and getting the best deal on buying a new car!

But for realsies, if you’re looking for someone to take you by the hand and lead you to some infinite cosmic power you’re better off watching the new Aladdin movie and asking Will Smith to be your mentor.

We’re Brothers, and as such I don’t lead you by the hand, I don’t follow in your shadow, but I will walk right beside you because we’re both on the same journey.

Signature 

“No man steps in the same river twice, for it’s not the same river… and he’s not the same man.”  ~Heraclitus

Posted: 05 June 2019 11:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2019-04-29
MCinNV - 05 June 2019 09:07 PM

!

But for realsies, if you’re looking for someone to take you by the hand and lead you to some infinite cosmic power you’re better off watching the new Aladdin movie and asking Will Smith to be your mentor.

We’re Brothers, and as such I don’t lead you by the hand, I don’t follow in your shadow, but I will walk right beside you because we’re both on the same journey.

So there is no any cosmic power at all acquired through my journey in Freemasonry?

So what really makes freemason special and even the wonder of all,what then makes it a secret organization even to this modern world?

Are even there any special books that are confined within the Freemason organization alone and not in public such as public libraries and in internet?

Can Freemasonry even answer life questions such as where I come from, what is the purpose of life, is there another life after this, what are all this wonders and mysteries surrounding our life such as wichcraft, magic and related staff?

If Freemasonry can answer all this questions not excluding even one then I think I must join as soon as possible.

Posted: 06 June 2019 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10
KIPTAI - 05 June 2019 11:43 PM

So there is no any cosmic power at all acquired through my journey in Freemasonry?

Nope. None.

So what really makes freemason special and even the wonder of all,what then makes it a secret organization even to this modern world?

A secret organisation is a) one you don’t actually know exists, and b) if it does exist, you don’t know who the members are.
The fact that we’re here using our real names and openly saying “I’m a Freemason” sort of confirms that we’re not a secret organisation doesn’t it? And nothing makes me, or any of the other guys on here or who I know personally, ‘special’. I just know they hold the same values as I do. What makes it ‘special’ is simply that; that if I was ever to meet Micheal (the other guy giving you his view), I know we’ll get on.
I had occasion to visit the US on business and contacted the local Grand Lodge. Whilst I’d never met anyone before, we all got on and were friends from the off - there was none of the usual reticence you experience when you meet someone for the first time; Freemasons are just friends you’ve yet to meet - that’s one of the things that makes it special.

Are even there any special books that are confined within the Freemason organization alone and not in public such as public libraries and in internet?

Not to my knowledge. I’ve been a member for 30 years and I’ve never come across any. Yes many centres have their own library and most (but not all) of the books are oriented towards Freemasonry, but there are none that couldn’t appear in your local municipal library - but probably won’t only because that library is not going to focus on some of the more esoteric works - esoteric in that they are written from the author personal perspective of Freemasonry. And you’ll find as many esoteric views are there are authors; that doesn’t however, make any of the books ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ - because as we’ve said; it’s an individual journey, but we’ll walk with you as you make that journey.

Can Freemasonry even answer life questions such as where I come from, what is the purpose of life, is there another life after this, what are all this wonders and mysteries surrounding our life such as wichcraft, magic and related staff?

No. That’s for you to decide for yourself. The afterlife? - that’s called Faith and is between the individual and his religious belief - Freemasonry is not a religion and doesn’t promise anything (nor discusses it). Freemasonry just requires its member to hold a belief in the Creator; the individual’s relationship to Him however, is between him and his Creator. Prayers are offered to Him by a non-denominational name, but the individual ‘translates’ that name to the Name of his personal religion.

As far as magic is concerned, personally I don’t believe in magic. If you do, that’s your decision, but it’s nothing to do with Freemasonry.

Signature 

Richard

Posted: 06 June 2019 01:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2019-04-29

Thanks all for your answers It has fully answered my questions.

Posted: 06 June 2019 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2019-01-23

Although I am tempted to refer you to the “Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise.”

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis “the wise”?
I thought not. It’s not a story the Jedi would tell you. It’s a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life… He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying.
The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

Signature 

“No man steps in the same river twice, for it’s not the same river… and he’s not the same man.”  ~Heraclitus

Posted: 06 June 2019 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  477
Joined  2014-03-28

Kiptai - Manly P. Hall wrote Lost Keys of Freemasonry in 1923. While he eventually became a 33rd Degree Mason, he did not even join the Craft until 1954, more than 30 years later. In other words, Hall was not a Mason when he wrote it, he had no particular insight when he wrote it and nothing in that book is based on anything more than his research in the local library (check it out for yourself).

MCinNV - Sorry, but I have no idea what a fictional tale from Star Wars has to do with the topic at hand. Certainly nothing in Freemasonry has anything to do with the ‘dark side’, by whatever name one calls it.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979
WM Zetland Lodge No. 83 - 2017

Posted: 06 June 2019 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10
Lark - 06 June 2019 03:29 PM

MCinNV - Sorry, but I have no idea what a fictional tale from Star Wars has to do with the topic at hand. Certainly nothing in Freemasonry has anything to do with the ‘dark side’, by whatever name one calls it.

I suspect (at least I hope so!) it was in jest rather than anything serious.

Signature 

Richard

Posted: 06 June 2019 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-03-28
Richard George - 06 June 2019 03:38 PM

I suspect (at least I hope so!) it was in jest rather than anything serious.

One can only hope.

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

Posted: 06 June 2019 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2019-01-23

Would it have been more obvious if I had answered the original question of “What is the energy of the universe placed at mason disposal?” With…

love,  peace and pancake grease!

Yes Lark, made entirely in jest, dripping with sarcasm.
But I can see how some are entirely misinformed that Masonry is some omniscient, omnipotent mystical secret society that meets under the cover of darkness to perform secret rituals that enable power over the tangible and ethereal.  While you and I both know what utter bupkis that is, some actually are suckered into it.  I suppose using sarcasm on the uninformed CAN reinforce their ignorance.
I took the initial post as an attempt at trolling and responded in kind.  I guess the jokes on me….

Signature 

Posted: 07 June 2019 12:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

Unfortunately, as the OP comes from Africa (Kenya I believe), I’ve no doubt whatsoever that he genuinely did (does?) believe we have magical powers. Bitter experience with that part of the world.

Signature 

Richard

Posted: 07 June 2019 05:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1021
Joined  2011-03-20
KIPTAI - 05 June 2019 02:45 PM

In reading one of the books by
Manly Palmer Hall, I quote ” The day has come when fellow craftsmen must know and apply their knowledge. The lost key to their grade is the mastery of emotion,which places the energy of the universe at their disposal. Man can only expect to be entrusted with great power by proving his ability to use it constructively and selflessly. When the mason learns that the key to the warrior on the block is the proper application of the dynamo of living power, he has learned the mystery of his craft.”
The book is “Lost Keys of Freemasonry” by M.P Hall.
My question is- what is this energy of the universe placed at there disposal? And in which degree do this become applicable?

Often Masons and non-Masons alike claim Manly Palmer Hall the (in)famous philosophical author as some kind of authority on the deeper symbolism and meanings of Freemasonry. This is sometimes exacerbated by the fact that he did eventually get made a Mason and therefore some think his status as a 33rd degree Mason has a bearing on his books that mention Freemasonry.

Manly Palmer Hall (18/03/1901 – 29/08/1990) is probably the most famous Masonic “authority” that actually wasn’t. Amongst the 75 books that he wrote several were specifically about Freemasonry, the most famous being “The Lost Keys of Freemasonry”. Unfortunately, he wrote his books as a complete cowan (ie non-Mason) and in fact was describing the philosophies of Theosophy which he mistakenly though was the same as Freemasonry as at the time he was an accomplished student of comparative religion.

He wrote:
The Lost Keys of Freemasonry in 1923,
Secret Teachings in 1928
Freemasonry of the Ancient Egyptians in 1937
The Secret Destiny of America in 1944 Masonic Orders of the Fraternity in 1950

He finally become a Freemason when he was Initiated into Jewel Lodge No. 374, in 1954 he went onto to join the AASR and attained the 32rd degree in 1967 within the Valley of San Francisco and he was honoured with the 33rd in 1973. It does not seem to be well-known that he himself, admitted in the Foreword of the 10th edition of “Lost Keys” that he had written as a non-Mason and had little knowledge of Freemasonry when he wrote that all he knew about Freemasonry at the time “was from a few books commonly available to the public”. Despite this many both Masons and non-Masons still make the mistake of claiming him as a kind of authority on Freemasonry.

PREFACE TO THE TENTH EDITION

It is gratifying indeed that after more than forty years of continuous publication, and 30,000 copies having been printed, the demand for this little book justifies a new edition. At the time I wrote this slender volume, I had just passed my twenty-first birthday, and my only contact with Freemasonry was through a few books commonly available to the public.
It was from the study of comparative religion that I first became aware of the secret philosophical schools and societies of the ancient world. It was not possible to contemplate the State Mysteries of Egypt, Greece, India and Persia and not be profoundly impressed by the nobility of their teachings, the beauty and solemnity of their rites and ceremonies, and the profound meanings of their symbols, emblems and initiatory rituals. It became evident to me that these sacred institutions and colleges were the custodians of a universal wisdom, and conferred upon their initiates the keys to a sublime science or art dedicated to the regeneration of man and the reformation of human society. Moved by this conviction, I wrote The Lost Keys of Freemasonry.
Many changes have been wrought in the two score years since this writing came to print. A sickly sophistication threatens our way of life, and the very survival of human culture is at hazard. Through long years of confusion, depression, war and tyranny, Freemasonry has stood for the Fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man. It has defended the right of every man to receive a proper education. It has taught respect for Constitutional government. It has sought to unite men in a fraternity of good works – these being the proper labours of a Master Mason.
        Feeling that the time had come for all men who believed in the dignity of the human soul and the utility of enlightened ethics to stand and be counted, I petitioned for membership in the Masonic Order in 1954. In November of that year I was raised in Jewel lodge No.374, F.& A. M., San Francisco, California. A year later I took the Scottish Rite Degrees, and am a member of the San Francisco Consistory MRS. In 1961 I received the Investiture of Knight Commander of the Court of Honour.
        I am happy to say that the admiration I had so long held for the Masonic Order was increased and deepened by a more intimate knowledge of its principles and a closer personal communion with my Brethren.

Manly P. Hall 32°
K.C.C.H
Los Angeles, 1967

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 07 June 2019 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2019-04-29

I never asked if you do magic, all I needed was to understand the paragraph.

Thanks to Mike and all who understood and answered appropriately.

The thing that does not become clear to me is what makes Freemason special when all I see from your answers is that you strive to attain higher level of morality in support to each other and the world as a whole. You also stressed on your teachings being metaphysical which I tend to believe that is to help you in your lives,brotherhood, and world as a whole.
The big question then is why do you deny atheist your membership? Yet the person I see to be given first priority should be an atheist because to him he has nothing to threaten him into maintaining higher level of morality. So if all this your symbols, rituals, e.t.c is to enhance morality and other benefits of life then why deny atheist?
For someone to join must have faith and in one of your answers you say it is my choice agen to believe in afterlife or not to, Is there faith in this world that does not belief in supreme being without a hope for afterlife? Not even one, then what makes it a choice once I have joined?
Faith to a supreme being without hope of life after death sounds useless to belief in Him.

Can I even join Freemasonry and remain a catholic Bishop?

If no then I gues your teachings are religious to some way.

Posted: 07 June 2019 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-03-28

Why is atheism is a barrier? That’s a fair question and one for which I am sure every Mason has his own answer. In my opinion, it’s simple enough. One of the defining characteristics of a Mason is that believes in a divine being. Another is that he is a man. Another is that he was not born a slave. There are others. Why? Because they have always been at the core of our brotherhood; they help to define us.

And our ceremonies involve prayer, each Mason present in prayer to whatever deity he believes in. How could an atheist honestly and sincerely participate in that? How could those around him continue to hold him in brotherhood, knowing that his prayers are a mere sham?

However, the train seems to be leaving the track right when you ask, “Can I even join Freemasonry and remain a catholic Bishop?” If by that you mean a Roman Catholic prelate, then I am amazed. Any RC priest would know the official stance of that church on Freemasonry and no Catholic bishop would ask that question, so…? I mean, really? Red flags all over the field…

Who are you, really and what is it that you want?

Signature 

Bro. Bob
Calgary, AB

Initiated 1 March 1979
Passed 26 May 1979
Raised 18 October 1979

1 of 2

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.6090 seconds.