Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Female Masons
Posted: 10 May 2019 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2019-01-13

I would like to inquire about female masons and why have there been no more females accepted into the masonic order as actual members? Thoughts or facts appreciated.

Posted: 10 May 2019 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2407
Joined  2011-01-20
williamaltonbeals - 10 May 2019 01:40 PM

I would like to inquire about female masons and why have there been no more females accepted into the masonic order as actual members? Thoughts or facts appreciated.

Our order is a Fraternity which is by definition exclusively Male. I would not have been welcome to join a sorority in college.

There are three qualifications that everyone who wishes to petition a lodge must satisfy: he must be a man, he must have a good reputation, he must believe in a Supreme Being.  These rules have guided us from the beginning and cannot be changed.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32┬░
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 11 May 2019 03:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1022
Joined  2011-03-20
williamaltonbeals - 10 May 2019 01:40 PM

Because I am a member of the Antient Fraternity of Free and Accepted Masons. “Freemasons” is a contraction of that title.

However, it is worth noting that here in England there exist 2 further Orders known respectively as the Order of Women Freemasons and the Honorable Fraternity of Antient Masons whose memberships consists purely of women.

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 11 May 2019 04:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2019-01-13

Only after reading of Elizabeth St. Leger was I eager to ask about more females entering. After reading of her and her accomplishments I was only curious as to how it could have influenced the lodges decision to or not to allow more women. Just felt like a really interesting conversation piece to ask about in this day and age.

Posted: 11 May 2019 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1478
Joined  2010-11-01

In the US, Freemasonry is comprised of only men and not likely to change any time soon.  There are Masonic related groups for the ladies, but the “main” group is based on ancient charges, one of which is that you must be male to join.

Signature 

V:.W:.Paul Hulseapple
Past Master St. Georges Lodge #6
Schenectady, NY
Asst. Grand Lecturer Old 17th District
Feliciana Lodge #31
St. Francisville, LA

32┬░AASR
St Georges Chapter #157 RAM
High Priest

St. George’s Council #74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Sr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S

Posted: 12 May 2019 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2019-02-12

Technically speaking, it comes down to how liberal the obedience that you joined is.  The original Scottish Freemasons were only for men, the French started a the first liberal obedience which accepted women in 1740, and in France today they also have a woman only obedience.

The various obediences don’t recognise each other, in general.

Recently there was a “call of bratislava”, a kind of effort to get the different obediences to start interracting… 

Links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Freemasonry_in_France - 1740
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women’s_Grand_Lodge_Of_France - all female obedience
http://www.call-of-bratislava.com/en/the-call-of-bratislava.html

Posted: 12 May 2019 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1354
Joined  2011-11-10

.. and would I be correct in thinking that

a) you are the author of this so-call ‘call’? and
b) that your reason for joining this forum is to promote it and try to get some support?

BTW - The Julian Rees mentioned on one of the pages resigned from the Craft under Rule 183A of the UGLE Book of Constitutions; if therefore you are the author, please ensure that you remove any suggestion from your site implying that he is still a member - at the moment, the site states he is still a member and that’s untrue.

Signature 

Richard
UGLE: Craft (PAGDC), Royal Arch (PProvGTreas)
Additional Orders: Mark, RAM, A&AR;, KT, KTP, ROS

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.2241 seconds.