Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

joining the fraternity
Posted: 17 April 2019 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2019-04-06

Greetings all.

Am Suleiman from Kenya.Thank you very much to the organisers of the forum to acctivate my account after a handful days of waiting.
      My journey to freemasonry has not yet been succsecful,in our counry Kenya freemasonry is highly secretive at a point which its very difficul for some good men in the communities to forward their intrests.infact in places where the petitioner has neither friend nor family member who is a mason.Surely it has made good men to feel like seperated in expressing the intrest.I remember one Monday night when i went to the lodge to ask for membership, surprisingly i was chased away by the guards explaining that they were told to so, surely i was heartbroked.Is it that my intreast will be so seroiusly ignored yet its not the teaching of the order?.I have vissited our local lodge several times but the men i met claimed that they were late for the meeting.My membership in this forum gave me more hop in joining the great order.

THANK IN ADVANCE

Posted: 17 April 2019 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2401
Joined  2011-01-20

Thanks for stopping by the forum. Unfortunately,  we have no influence in lodges in Kenya. Your story about guards chasing you away seems strange to me. The first thing I would advise you to do is to make sure the lodge is recognized by a mainstream grand lodge. The can do that by going to the ugle web site https://www.ugle.org.uk and finding the grand lodge for Kenya then working through them. There are a lot of fake Masonic organizations in Africa that are just out to steal from unsuspecting people.

Good luck.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 18 April 2019 03:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2019-04-06

Thank you John.i have just submitted my enquiry to the UGLE website and a note saiying my local area representative will get intouch.I still have great hops in joining you men, even if it will take a bit long, i will still be patient as before.

Posted: 18 April 2019 05:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1337
Joined  2011-11-10

Here’s where you want to go;

http://www.dgleastafrica.org/

There’s a ‘contact us’ link on there; it gives a postal address, and the location of the HQ in Nairobi.

If you use Google, you may find yourself on a page that LOOKS the same, but is not in colour; that’s a scam.  Use the link above to get the real website.

Signature 

Richard
Craft, Royal Arch, Mark, RAM, A&AR;, KT, KTP, ROS, OSM

Posted: 19 April 2019 04:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1012
Joined  2011-03-20
Sule - 17 April 2019 05:15 PM

My journey to freemasonry has not yet been succsecful,in our counry Kenya freemasonry is highly secretive at a point which its very difficul for some good men in the communities to forward their intrests.infact in places where the petitioner has neither friend nor family member who is a mason.Surely it has made good men to feel like seperated in expressing the intrest.I remember one Monday night when i went to the lodge to ask for membership, surprisingly i was chased away by the guards explaining that they were told to so, surely i was heartbroked.Is it that my intreast will be so seroiusly ignored yet its not the teaching of the order?.I have vissited our local lodge several times but the men i met claimed that they were late for the meeting.My membership in this forum gave me more hop in joining the great order.

Just to clear some of your misconceptions up for you:
1) This forum cannot help you to join a Lodge in Africa, as it is just a place on the Internet that can give pointers.
2) Freemasonry in Africa is NOT secretive but its members must of necessity be very cautious. You cannot be unaware that Freemasonry has been targeted by both Muslims and evangelical Christian movements on that continent and so there is very good reason NOT to freely accept men who they do not know.
3) Unlike what you may read on the Internet where men in America just walk up to Lodges and ask to join it is not done that way in Africa (not just Kenya). If you do not personally know a Freemason to propose you to membership of his Lodge you will need to start at the very beginning by sending a letter (NOT an email) to one of the District Grand Lodges of East Africa. In that letter you will need to introduce yourself and tell them a bit about yourself (job, family etc) and explain why you wish to join a Lodge and what you bring to it.
4) Even after sending the letter there is absolutely no guarantee that you will be encouraged to seek membership but that is the best way for you to try.

Freemasonry is not open to all as the final decision on whether to accept a Candidate lies with the Lodge itself and it may decide that you are not a good fit with its membership.

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 19 April 2019 07:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2019-04-06

Thanks mike.am in the the process of submitting the leter.But should i hand deliver it to the District Grand Lodge of Eastern Africa or i can just send it using the “contact us” link in the District Grand Lodge’s website?
  Thank you very much Guys for every support you are putting.I hop i will be beggining my enjoyable journey soon.

Posted: 19 April 2019 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1337
Joined  2011-11-10

Hi Sule.

As I said in the PM, send or hand deliver; it’s up to you, although if you do the latter, I’d email them first to tell them what you are doing as it’s doubtful that the hall/centre is manned full-time and you want to make sure someone will be there to receive it. It’s arguable that if you hand deliver -and you’ve had to travel some distance to do so, it’s another indication of your determination.

BTW - you’ll note that Mike has just reiterated my recommendations :)

Signature 

Richard
Craft, Royal Arch, Mark, RAM, A&AR;, KT, KTP, ROS, OSM

Posted: 19 April 2019 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2019-04-06

Thank you all.Am working on it i will let you know any feedback that will be responded by the District Grand Lodge of Eastern Africa.

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.2811 seconds.