Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Books to purchase
Posted: 17 February 2019 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2019-02-03

Good evening,

I’m seeking out some good reference material into Masonic research. I’m interested in some general and accepted history, as well as the speculative. I’ve been initiated, and expect to be raised in the coming months. I’m attempting to prepare some solid reading for my field exercise (I’ll be gone over a month for the military, at a place with no computer access and very little cell service-my fellow military brethren will understand the “fun” of Annual Training)

Of the books I’m currently looking to purchase are:

A Pilgrim’s Path by John J. Robinson
Born In Blood by John J. Robinson
Dungeon, Fire, & Sword by John J. Robinson
The Book of Hiram by Christopher Knight
The Hiram Key by Christopher Knight
Solomon’s Builders by Christopher Hodapp
The Builders by Joseph Fort Newton

If anyone has read these books and can give a quick assessment I’d greatly appreciate it. If you can recommend a few that you have found useful in your research I would appreciate that as well.

Also, if anyone has any good blogs or YouTube brothers. I currently follow two main pages and am attempting to find a few others:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNjBeyj8cd9CA8ibp6Co8gw
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1oLPOO8ceSC9EcbqnOwKtQ

Thank you all, G-d bless!

Posted: 18 February 2019 01:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2398
Joined  2011-01-20

I would skip Born in Blood and add Freemasonry for Dummies. All the others are good. Thank you for not including Morals and Dogma unless you need a door stop.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 18 February 2019 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2087
Joined  2008-01-21

I really enjoyed “A pilgrims path”. It is a fine book. I think it is one of the best books about Freemasonry ever written by a non-Mason. An excellent read.

Signature 

Charles E. Martin
Alexandria, Virginia

My blog about Masonry in Afghanistan and Iraq:
(Send me a PM)

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green, KY (Grand Lodge of KY, F.&A.M.;)
Macedonian Lodge, Quincy Mass. (Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, F.&A.M.;)
Alexandria, VA Scottish Rite Bodies, A.A.S.R. (Southern Jurisdiction, USA)

Posted: 21 February 2019 10:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2019-02-03

Thank you for the responses. I had some money burning a hole in my wallet and decided to purchase all of them. Ironically, Born in Blood arrived first, and I’m through Chapter 1 now. I have to say, I really am enjoying the book; My enjoyment probably stems from being a History grad student however. Robinson’s focus on the Peasants war is bringing a resurgence of fun to my study of history that I haven’t felt in quite some time.

What other books would you recommend, written either by a mason or non-mason?

Posted: 02 March 2019 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1010
Joined  2011-03-20

If you actually want to learn about Freemasonry rather than read pure and sometimes wild (BinB and HK) speculation about Freemasonry (especially important as you’re not even a MM yet and won’t be able to spot the BS) I would skip ALL of that list EXCEPT JFN’s “The Builders” which is an excellent book.

Your location plays into what books you should be reading although as an EA your study should really be limited to the Degree that you have been given and the catechism required to progress which should have been given to you by your Lodge.

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

Posted: 04 March 2019 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4095
Joined  2007-09-27

I have to agree with my English brother, Mike, in stating that most of those are not resources on the FACTS of Freemasonry, but are merely speculations, and quite stretchy at that.  Anything by Christopher Knight or Robert Lomas should NOT be taken as fact.  While they are interesting reads, much of the books are just North of guess work.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 16 March 2019 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2019-02-03

Brother’s Mike and Dan-O, thank you. I genuinely appreciate that you are taking the time to respond!

I’ll be sure to take all the reading in as a grain of salt. I’m coming into this with a background in History (I’m working on my Masters in History now). While I would much prefer a concrete narrative of Jacques de Molay being put to death, and King Philip finding him clutching a Square and Compass, I accept that any story is only speculation without overwhelming and well cited evidence. (I think it’s time to start writing a fictional account). You find this even in accepted History, to include the death of Hitler or the motives behind Lincoln’s emancipation proclamation.

While keeping your advice in the back of my mind as I read the different books and encounter out of the norm narratives.  I’ve started to read Solomon’s Builders, and gosh Brother Hodapp has done a spectacular job capturing the American Revolution from the Masonic lens. He’s hitting on the points I spent an entire book learning on in just the first few chapters. But I’ll start on the Builders next.

Thank you all again, and if you have any recommendations I’d love to hear it, even if it’s wildly speculative and ill cited.

‹‹ Membership      Freemasonry in Ireland ››

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.2180 seconds.