Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Membership
Posted: 07 February 2019 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2019-02-07

Hello, 

I was initiated as an Entered Apprentice at the Geneva Lodge in 2012. My question is regarding my membership, am I still able to continue my journey as a Mason? The reason I asked, I’m in the Philippines right now and would like to carry on my travels here. Hope you could help me with my inquiry.

Thank you!

Posted: 07 February 2019 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2390
Joined  2011-01-20
Pykjic - 07 February 2019 09:14 AM

Hello, 

I was initiated as an Entered Apprentice at the Geneva Lodge in 2012. My question is regarding my membership, am I still able to continue my journey as a Mason? The reason I asked, I’m in the Philippines right now and would like to carry on my travels here. Hope you could help me with my inquiry.

Thank you!

While you don’t list a jurisdiction for your original lodge, you need to make sure that they are a regular lodge under the authority of a regular Grand Lodge. Then contact the lodge secretary to determine if you are still considered a member there. If you have not paid your annual dues as I suspect, you would have been suspended for nonpayment of dues and your Masonic privileges would be suspended as well.

There are often time limits regarding the maximum and minimum times between degrees which I suspect have long ago been exceeded. The question arises of why you did not continue your journey with the lodge that you were initiated into. If you were applying to my lodge, that’s the first thing I would want cleared up.

From what I understand, lodges in the Philippines take their Masonry very seriously and strictly guard their West Gates. It may take years for you to be able to join there but it would be worth the effort.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 08 February 2019 04:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1327
Joined  2011-11-10

First question has to be: where’s the ‘Geneva Lodge’ and does it have a number?

Signature 

Richard
Craft, Royal Arch, Mark, RAM, A&AR;, KT, KTP, ROS, OSM

Posted: 08 February 2019 04:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2019-02-07

Hello Brother John and Richard,

Thank you for your response. Geneva Masonic Lodge #139 in Geneva, Illinois.

Posted: 11 February 2019 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-20
Pykjic - 08 February 2019 04:44 AM

Hello Brother John and Richard,

Thank you for your response. Geneva Masonic Lodge #139 in Geneva, Illinois.

Unfortunately, there are many clandestine (bogus) lodges in the world. There is one in the next town from my lodge and we have been forced to turn away visitors from it. You need to find out if this lodge is recognized as legitimate by the regular Grand Lodge of IL. Then you need to contact the secretary to find out your membership status. Only after you complete those steps can you determine how you can continue your Masonic journey.

This is going to take work on your part. We will not do it for you.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 11 February 2019 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

It is; Grand Lodge of Illinois .. found it by starting at the UGLE website.

Your best bet is to make contact with your mother lodge and go via the secretary and then the Grand Secretary who would then contact the Grand Lodge of the Philippines (the regular Grand Lodge recognised by UGLE). Any other route and you’re probably on a hiding to nothing (don’t know if that saying is known in the US ??!)

Signature 

Richard

Posted: 12 February 2019 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-20
Richard George - 11 February 2019 11:32 AM

{snip} Any other route and you’re probably on a hiding to nothing (don’t know if that saying is known in the US ??!)

It’s not a common expression in the US. What does it mean?

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°

Posted: 16 February 2019 02:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

It means ‘not got a chance’ or ‘no hope in hell’  - or more simply; ‘forget it’.

Signature 

Richard

Posted: 17 February 2019 12:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-20
Richard George - 16 February 2019 02:19 AM

It means ‘not got a chance’ or ‘no hope in hell’  - or more simply; ‘forget it’.

Thanks

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°

Posted: 17 February 2019 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/be-on-a-hiding-to-nothing

Signature 

Richard

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.4025 seconds.