Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

I’m ready to become a Mason BUT. . .
Posted: 03 December 2018 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2017-11-14

Hey there! Thanks for looking here. Okay so a quick recap. About a year or two ago I asked to become a mason. I thought then that the time was right and looking back now, I wasn’t ready. A new year quickly approaches now and I’m ready. I have four main problems right now though.
1. I already asked to be a Mason, and I’m not sure who i can ask now and if i can ask again.

2. I live in a small town and I want to attend this lodge but again I asked one of the members and I’m not sure if it’s right to ask again

3. My friend wants to join with me. I’m not sure if that’s allowed or if we need to take our own paths or what. He said he’ll join when I join.

4. Again I live in a small town and unfortunately a lot of people know my father as an alcoholic, a drug addict, etc. My father also has had run in with the police multiple times and a lot of the police that he has dealt with are in fact masons that attend the lodge I want to attend. Ofcourse I know that I need to take my own path and better myself. Actually a side note: as I write this I can hear my father ramble on drunk in the other room.

Can someone help me out here? I feel stuck and I’m not sure what to do. My situation is tense. Thank you for reading this and answering my questions I appreciate it.

EDIT:I’m also afraid of being black balled for these things.

Posted: 04 December 2018 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1468
Joined  2010-11-01

1. I already asked to be a Mason, and I’m not sure who i can ask now and if i can ask again.
2. I live in a small town and I want to attend this lodge but again I asked one of the members and I’m not sure if it’s right to ask again

Did you submit a petition (application) for membership?  That is the key.  If you did submit one, were you contacted afterwards?  The petition is a form given to you by a member that you need to complete and turn back in. 

3. My friend wants to join with me. I’m not sure if that’s allowed or if we need to take our own paths or what. He said he’ll join when I join.

No problem there.  Having another “new guy” with you as you work on your memorization does help. 

4. Again I live in a small town and unfortunately a lot of people know my father as an alcoholic, a drug addict, etc. My father also has had run in with the police multiple times and a lot of the police that he has dealt with are in fact masons that attend the lodge I want to attend. Ofcourse I know that I need to take my own path and better myself. Actually a side note: as I write this I can hear my father ramble on drunk in the other room.

You join on your own merits, not of anyone else’s.

Signature 

W:.Paul Hulseapple
Past Master St. Georges Lodge #6
Schenectady, NY
Feliciana Lodge #31
St. Francisville, LA

32°AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
E:. High Priest

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S.

Posted: 04 December 2018 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2012-09-18

You also do not provide much information as to your location and age.
In most jurisdictions there is a minimum age requirement (18 in some and 21 in the rest).
If we know where you are located, we could possibly be more helpful to you.

Signature 

Past Master, Dryden Lodge #472
Secretary, Caroline Lodge #618
Hudson,Fulton,Dryden Chapter #250 OES
32* A&ASR; Coudersport Pa.
RAM Fidelity #77

Posted: 04 December 2018 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-11-14
PDH825 - 04 December 2018 08:22 AM

Did you submit a petition (application) for membership?  That is the key.  If you did submit one, were you contacted afterwards?  The petition is a form given to you by a member that you need to complete and turn back in. 

No problem there.  Having another “new guy” with you as you work on your memorization does help. 

You join on your own merits, not of anyone else’s.

When I asked he told me to go to the grand lodge of Texas website and print the petition out. I did print it out and I started filling it out but never turned it in.

Also thank you for the rest of the information, I’m glad it will make it a bit easier to have a friend help me memorize things. Also you’re right, again thank you.

Posted: 04 December 2018 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2017-11-14
W Br Gleason - 04 December 2018 01:13 PM

You also do not provide much information as to your location and age.
In most jurisdictions there is a minimum age requirement (18 in some and 21 in the rest).
If we know where you are located, we could possibly be more helpful to you.

I’m 19 and I live in East Texas. The lodge i want to go to is actually only about a block away from my house.

Posted: 05 December 2018 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1468
Joined  2010-11-01
Boazbeonthe33rdlevel - 04 December 2018 06:58 PM

When I asked he told me to go to the grand lodge of Texas website and print the petition out. I did print it out and I started filling it out but never turned it in.

Also thank you for the rest of the information, I’m glad it will make it a bit easier to have a friend help me memorize things. Also you’re right, again thank you.

OK.  Have you attended any functions or otherwise had an occasion to speak with any of the members of the lodge?  I mean beyond the one instance you mention above.  At my lodge here in NY, we encourage men who are interested in joining to come to dinners and other public events so that they can get to know the members.  There is no way you can tell in two minutes if a particular lodge is “right” for you.

Signature 

W:.Paul Hulseapple
Past Master St. Georges Lodge #6
Schenectady, NY
Feliciana Lodge #31
St. Francisville, LA

32°AASR Valley of Schenectady
St Georges Chapter #157 Royal Arch Masons
E:. High Priest

St. George’s Council # 74 Cryptic Masons
Giles Fonda Yates Council #22 AMD
Jr. Warden

St. George’s Commandery #37
Oriental Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S.

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.2952 seconds.