Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Information in masonic bibles
Posted: 13 June 2018 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2018-05-30

Hi,
I saw a “masonic bible” in an antique shop, and flipping through the section that presumably makes it “masonic”, I noticed a lot of very detailed information about freemasonry in general. So detailed that it has me wondering the following: are the 3rd degree masons who get these things forbidden/discouraged from giving them to non-masons or letting non-masons peruse them? Do masons take offense to the fact that they’re sold openly on the internet to masons and non-masons alike?

Posted: 13 June 2018 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2379
Joined  2011-01-20
Askingafreemason - 13 June 2018 05:14 PM

Hi,
I saw a “masonic bible” in an antique shop, and flipping through the section that presumably makes it “masonic”, I noticed a lot of very detailed information about freemasonry in general. So detailed that it has me wondering the following: are the 3rd degree masons who get these things forbidden/discouraged from giving them to non-masons or letting non-masons peruse them? Do masons take offense to the fact that they’re sold openly on the internet to masons and non-masons alike?

Nope. There’s nothing secret there. In fact, the only secrets we keep are the details of our rituals and the means of recognition (passwords, signs and grips). You simply have a King James Bible with a few extra pages.

Signature 

John Ruggiero, 32°
Past Master, Ancient York Lodge, Lowell, MA.

God never sends us anything we can’t handle. Sometimes I wish He didn’t trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Posted: 14 June 2018 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4089
Joined  2007-09-27

Great question!  The purposes of a Masonic Edition Bible is are to remind a member to be true to his faith (in this case, a bible would only be given to a Christian brother), to provide him a keepsake from his initiation (as there is a section that can be signed by the participants in his initiation), and to help illustrate the parts of the Bible that have been an influence on Masonic ritual.

It’s something that I’d be happy to share with anyone who is interested in reading it, but also appreciate that only Freemasons would have a complete appreciation for the section on Freemasonry.

I’m perfectly fine with them being sold online, but think that the recipients would be disappointed if they are expecting much more than a bible with a few notes in a preface.

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

Posted: 14 June 2018 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  999
Joined  2011-03-20
Askingafreemason - 13 June 2018 05:14 PM

Hi,

No not at all.

This question comes up from time to time and it’s really down to lazy terminology being applied. Here’s the answer I gave last time the question was asked here:

Mike Martin - 27 July 2016 08:06 AM

Hi Grotto32

There is no such thing as a “Masonic Bible”, even though many Freemasons unfortunately will use the term. However, there is a Masonic “presentation” Bible, which here in England, is usually presented to a brother when he attains the Third or Master Mason Degree.

The Masonic presentation Bible has one cover but actually contains 2 books, the first is a book called Freemasonry & the Bible by HL Haywood and the second is the normal King James V version of the Old and New Testaments. It also has a bit at the beginning just like a family presentation Bible for the brother’s Lodge details to be entered into it.

Signature 

Mike Martin
Click here for Mersey Lodge No.5434
Click here to chat about UK Freemasonry
Click here to view my Masonic watch fobs

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.2275 seconds.