Ask a Freemason Questions and Answers Find a Lodge Near You

Help becoming a Member
Posted: 23 May 2018 02:59 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2018-05-21

Hi I’m from Nigeria,  and i need help becomibg a member.

Posted: 23 May 2018 06:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1300
Joined  2011-11-10

First question is why do you want to join and what do you expect to receive as a result of being a member?

Signature 

Richard
Past Assistant Grand Director of Ceremonies (UGLE)
PProvJGW, PProvGReg, PProvAGSec (Craft)
PProvGTreas, PProvGReg, PProv1stAGSoj (Royal Arch)
Mark (PProvGIWks), Royal Ark Mariner (ProvRAMGR)
Ancient and Accepted Rite; (30°), Knights Templar (PStdB)
Knight Templar Priest (PGBB), Royal Order of Scotland
Order of Secret Monitor (Brotherhood of David and Jonathan - unattached)

Posted: 23 May 2018 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2018-05-21

Sir,  My reason to join is i sought for knowledge and a way to meet like minded people like me with a vision to succeed and impact good on friends,  family and my country as a whole.  I’m tired of where I’m today tired and of the situation of my family,  i wanna go to college….  i wanna be like Abraham Lincoln, i wanna be like Warren buffet,  and the only way i can achieve this is by seeking to be a mason so i can learn and develop my ideas for a better good. And also all i expect to receive if i become a member is the blessings that comes from being a member of this great family (Freemason) and the knowledge thereof which will bring a change to my life and my family.

Posted: 23 May 2018 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

Ok; you will I hope, understand that Nigeria has a somewhat dubious reputation as a result of the number of email scams originating from the country - hence my caution. 

It is also a common misapprehension in your part of the world, that membership brings wealth and power - nothing could be further from the truth; it costs money to be a member and you are expected to contribute to the charitable aspect of Masonry, and as far as ‘power’ is concerned, you will have no more than you have now, although you will be able to mix with men of moral fibre.

If this doesn’t dissuade you, I recommend you visit the following page on the United Grand Lodge of England website where you will find contact details for the District Grand Lodge of Nigeria.

https://www.ugle.org.uk/about/districts-groups/16-africa/117-nigeria

Signature 

Richard

Posted: 23 May 2018 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2018-05-21

Alright thanks for the reply,  but as a youth with no source of income to pay to join, I don’t know what to do and i guess it costs much to join.

Posted: 23 May 2018 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

You have to be 21.  Yes there are joining fees - but be aware that they are NOT payable until you actually join; if you get asked for money up front, it’s a fraudulent group.  Don’t go anywhere other than via the site I’ve given you; anything else and you risk being ripped off.  The fee payable to UGLE (the short form of United Grand Lodge of England) is the same in Nigeria as England, but there will also be local fees; they are set by the District.  Don’t even attempt to join without a source of income; you won’t be accepted.

Signature 

Richard

Posted: 23 May 2018 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Joined  2018-05-21

Thank you sir,  i guess you know the situation of my country finding a good source of income is very hard,  No valuable jobs you can boast of; that’s why you find many Nigerian youths trying to go overseas to find a greener pasture.

It’s a bad economy we have got here,  if i had the money and connection I would travel out and use my business ideas for good there. Our youths have got talents both good and bad,  we only lack good mentoring and the government ain’t helping. 

I gonna try my best to find a good job so i can raise an income, I’m doing this for my family and future unborn kids cause once i join even if I’m gone, i know i made friends with the right people to help keep my generation in the right part.  God Bless you Mr. Richard

Posted: 04 August 2018 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Newcomer
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2018-07-14

Hello,am New Here And Am Not A Mason But Wish To Be.Am A Nigerian And Can Speak English.

Posted: 06 August 2018 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4083
Joined  2007-09-27

Please review the above thread (there are actually many threads posted on here by Nigerians looking to join without much of an understanding of what Freemasonry is, so please feel free to ask any questions you may have).

Signature 

Dan

Past Master, Columbian Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Boston, MA
Friendship Lodge A.F.&A.M. - Wilmington, MA
32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Boston
Shriners International, Aleppo Temple - Wilmington, MA

© 2007 - 2011 The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

Page rendered in 0.2272 seconds.